JG’s Growth at QB

If nothing else, JG will set the record for most inane and repetitive posts on this site. Every one of these threads brings the same litany of support/bashing from the same set of groups. I have stated my thoughts on the subject several times. I will only comment on the absolute obsession of UT fans over loving or hating Jarrett Guarantano going forward.
JG seems lifeless out there no emotion. He holds the ball too long . he doesn't make the right reads. He cannot lead a wr on a pass. He consistently. Underthrows the deep ball. He has no touch on shorter routes etc you can just go on and on about why JG is not a good QB. Praying that Maurer or Bailey can start the season !

Did JG bring the COVID to the States too?

Reactions: Volinnooga
Stats reflect the qb you are over the course of a CAREER. Not a game, not a year. Year 1-2 are developmental and years 3-4 are usually just who you are which creates your legacy. You can look at a qbs career stats and just about tell how he played without ever laying eyes on a single game. But you can not put too much stock into the stats of a player within those first two years. JGs career stats are modest. His Hs stats were modest. Hopefully he’ll make it to the next level but his stats from both Hs and college tell you he’ll never be a gunslinger. He’s the kind you want (NFL)if your qb1 goes down and you have a very good defense (kind of Trent Dilfer with Baltimore) type of qb. Stats alone will tell you that at this point of his career. Then there’s always the possibility that he has a Joe Burrow type of awakening in his final year but seeing that kind of turn around in a single player was extremely rare even in Burrows case. Seeing it 2 years in a row would be would be like hitting the lottery twice
Hopefully I'm not being disrespectful with the comparison but stats are like Bible verses. Cults and false doctrines have always been built around narrow and distorted interpretations of Bible verses taken out of context.

Scripture has to be interpreted on at least 3 levels to be valid. What do the words say and mean. What does the immediate context say about the meaning. Do those interpretations fit into the whole context of the Bible.

With JG, you can parse the stats and major on some that look good. To make the argument the 3 amigos are trying to make... you have to ignore the fact that those "stats" have not been effective in moving the O or winning games. You also have to ignore other facts that change the "meaning" of the good stats.... like red zone ineffectiveness.

Did JG bring the COVID to the States too?
Maybe...

Actually, I don't have a problem at this point in his career with his leadership. In fact, that more than his play helped UT win last year. When benched he could have mailed it in. He didn't. I think 1vol8 agrees that he was supportive and tried to help Maurer. He continued to be a team leader even through what had to be crushing personal disappointment. That says a ton about his character and maturity. To me, it is even more impressive considering the first time we really "saw" him he was sulking on the sideline of the GT game. I am more impressed by those who fail and overcome than those who are never challenged.

A guy doesn't have to be rah-rah to be an effective leader and especially as a QB. You might want a LB losing his mind to fire the team up... you probably want your QB to be the guy with ice water in his veins. IMHO, JG has some strength in that way.

He still doesn't read coverages quickly enough... and doesn't anticipate throws. I believe those to be "fatal" flaws as in they limit his ceiling. But some of the other generalizations are way off IMO.

Reactions: Remy
Hopefully I'm not being disrespectful with the comparison but stats are like Bible verses. Cults and false doctrines have always been built around narrow and distorted interpretations of Bible verses taken out of context.

Scripture has to be interpreted on at least 3 levels to be valid. What do the words say and mean. What does the immediate context say about the meaning. Do those interpretations fit into the whole context of the Bible.

With JG, you can parse the stats and major on some that look good. To make the argument the 3 amigos are trying to make... you have to ignore the fact that those "stats" have not been effective in moving the O or winning games. You also have to ignore other facts that change the "meaning" of the good stats.... like red zone ineffectiveness.
Give me a guy that throws 35 tds a year and 10-15 ints vs a guy that throws 12-20 tds and 5 ints. Why? Because at any point if we go down we definitely went down swinging vs playing scared. I never have liked a conservative qb because they play like they are only existing long enough for someone else to step up and win the game. I like the qb that going to try and hang 60 on you if you let him.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Give me a guy that throws 35 tds a year and 10-15 ints vs a guy that throws 12-20 tds and 5 ints. Why? Because at any point if we go down we definitely went down swinging vs playing scared. I never have liked a conservative qb because they play like they are only existing long enough for someone else to step up and win the game. I like the qb that going to try and hang 60 on you if you let him.
That more aggressive QB also changes the way opposing DC's gameplan you in a positive way.

One of my arguments has been that JG is too easy to gameplan even when opponents do not have great defensive talent in their back 7.

Reactions: Remy and 1vol8
That more aggressive QB also changes the way opposing DC's gameplan you in a positive way.

One of my arguments has been that JG is too easy to gameplan even when opponents do not have great defensive talent in their back 7.
Because even if they win in the season, if we meet again their confidence isn’t sky high that they’ll have the same outcome.

An aggressive qb on a team with a good-great o line and above average HB and WRs is a scoring machine. No defensive game plan is safe to hold up 4 quarters.

Maybe...

Actually, I don't have a problem at this point in his career with his leadership. In fact, that more than his play helped UT win last year. When benched he could have mailed it in. He didn't. I think 1vol8 agrees that he was supportive and tried to help Maurer. He continued to be a team leader even through what had to be crushing personal disappointment. That says a ton about his character and maturity. To me, it is even more impressive considering the first time we really "saw" him he was sulking on the sideline of the GT game. I am more impressed by those who fail and overcome than those who are never challenged.

A guy doesn't have to be rah-rah to be an effective leader and especially as a QB. You might want a LB losing his mind to fire the team up... you probably want your QB to be the guy with ice water in his veins. IMHO, JG has some strength in that way.

He still doesn't read coverages quickly enough... and doesn't anticipate throws. I believe those to be "fatal" flaws as in they limit his ceiling. But some of the other generalizations are way off IMO.

I always give the Qb's the benefit of the doubt. Its not always their fault when they get sacked. JG got sacked15 times last year not great but not bad considering Burrows was sacked 34 times. Its not always the QBs fault when he holds the ball to long (recievers do run wrong routes at times). Imho the one thing that has to happen is he needs to improve on his consistency His game management I thought was decent last year.
Its real easy to blame the qb when things go wrong but every play has alot of intangibles to it but Ole JG gets blamed for everyone's mistake.

In case you can't read, my post was about the miserable minority and their constant barrage of inane posts about JG, not JG himself. smh

I went all the way thru school...in one door and out another.
I'm sure I didn't make myself clear but I was actually agreeing with you. My question was meant for the miserable minority.

I always give the Qb's the benefit of the doubt. Its not always their fault when they get sacked. JG got sacked15 times last year not great but not bad considering Burrows was sacked 34 times. Its not always the QBs fault when he holds the ball to long (recievers do run wrong routes at times). Imho the one thing that has to happen is he needs to improve on his consistency His game management I thought was decent last year.
Its real easy to blame the qb when things go wrong but every play has alot of intangibles to it but Ole JG gets blamed for everyone's mistake.
To be fair.... Burrow was behind center a LOT more than JG.

And you are right...WR and RBs run wrong routes at times. QB can go through the progressions or check down. I think what many are saying that is being misconstrued as hate is that JG doesn't anticipate the WR getting open. He has to SEE the WR open before he throws it. It's why he has so much trouble hitting a receiver in stride. It's not bashing or hate. It's an observation.

Sure. Dormady got sacked 5 times in 5 games then JG got sacked 30 times in 7 games behind the same OL... but it was the OL's fault?

Why should JG get the benefit of the doubt... while you throw everyone else under the bus? I'm not just "blaming" him for everything. WR's dropped some balls. They didn't always get open. The run game improved but wasn't dependable.

But JG still doesn't read coverage post snap quickly, instinctively. He does a very poor job of anticipating throws. The bigger problem is that much of what he appears to lack is innate. It is something you are born with more or less talent to do. Some guys cannot throw the ball 40 yards on a frozen rope. Some guys simply cannot learn to throw with touch. Some guys lack whatever it is mentally... quick thinking, instinct, "vision"....

Nothing personal against JG. He's put up with enough to deserve success. I would love to be wrong since it would help the Vols tremendously if he became an upper tier QB. But after watching these same two problems manifest themselves in different ways for 3 years... I'm just doubtful that he can.

He was last year.

20-5 will win more games than 35-15.

He was last year.

20-5 will win more games than 35-15.
Don’t mean to take a shot at JG on this one but his record proves that theory wrong. 20-5 is just under 1.5 tds a game which only keeps you IN the game. 35-15 is just under 3 tds a game and just over 1 int a game. I see what you tried to do there but once again you’re absolutely wrong.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
Don’t mean to take a shot at JG on this one but his record proves that theory wrong. 20-5 is just under 1.5 tds a game which only keeps you IN the game. 35-15 is just under 3 tds a game and just over 1 int a game. I see what you tried to do there but once again you’re absolutely wrong.
If your qb throws 15 ints in 12 games then you will have a losing season. You better throw 50 tds if you throw that many.

It's rare to see him once the play is underway give up on it and just toss the ball out of bounds. He's taken some horrible sacks and really hurt his team rather than see the play wasn't working early. In a tight defensive battle where both teams are solid on that side of the ball a QB that protects field position can mean a lot for who can get the ball out of bounds, especially rather than taking a sack.

If your qb throws 15 ints in 12 games then you will have a losing season. You better throw 50 tds if you throw that many.
K town....... do the math kiddo. A qb that throws an average of 3 tds a game means opposing offenses have to score a min of 24 to win. That’s a tall order vs even a decent defense even with said qb throwing his 1 int a game.

A qb that throws an average of 1 td a game means the opposing defense only has to stop the run and the opposing offense only needs 10 to win and every other game he gives them 1 more opportunity to do so. Not very hard for any team to put up 10. Look at us......we were a missed FG away from hanging 17 on the best defense in the nation in a half last year.

I can take this a little farther as well. Opposing defenses and defensive coordinators have MUCH more trouble with teams that employ the 35-15 qb. Why? Because the 35-15 qb threw those ints getting the ball downfield and taking chances without hesitation. The 20-5 qb takes very little chances and checks down to safe routes enabling opposing defenses to “allow” minimal gains and therefore forcing punts. Knowing that the 35-15 qb WILL take advantage of 1 on 1 coverage downfield defensive coordinators have to plan for that. Which means there’s one or two less in the box come game day. Thus opening up the run game. Defenses have to play the 35-15 qb uphill whereas defenses have to play the 20-5 qb downhill.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood

You do know that every interception thrown by a QB, doesn't automatically result in a touchdown for the other team, right? Because only 15 QBs threw 30< TDs in 2019, and out of those 15 teams, only one, Troy, had a losing season.

You do know that every interception thrown by a QB, doesn't automatically result in a touchdown for the other team, right? Because only 15 QBs threw 30< TDs in 2019, and out of those 15 teams, only one, Troy, had a losing season.
Like I said...... give me the guy that throws 35 tds and 15 ints over the guy that throws 20 and only 5 all day long and twice on any day that ends in “y”.

Edit: 2, Washington State managed to have a losing season even with Anthony Gordon throwing 48 TDs to 16 Ints.

K town....... do the math kiddo. A qb that throws an average of 3 tds a game means opposing offenses have to score a min of 24 to win. That’s a tall order vs even a decent defense even with said qb throwing his 1 int a game.

A qb that throws an average of 1 td a game means the opposing defense only has to stop the run and the opposing offense only needs 10 to win and every other game he gives them 1 more opportunity to do so. Not very hard for any team to put up 10. Look at us......we were a missed FG away from hanging 17 on the best defense in the nation in a half last year.

I can take this a little farther as well. Opposing defenses and defensive coordinators have MUCH more trouble with teams that employ the 35-15 qb. Why? Because the 35-15 qb threw those ints getting the ball downfield and taking chances without hesitation. The 20-5 qb takes very little chances and checks down to safe routes enabling opposing defenses to “allow” minimal gains and therefore forcing punts. Knowing that the 35-15 qb WILL take advantage of 1 on 1 coverage downfield defensive coordinators have to plan for that. Which means there’s one or two less in the box come game day. Thus opening up the run game. Defenses have to play the 35-15 qb uphill whereas defenses have to play the 20-5 qb downhill.
Like I said...... give me the guy that throws 35 tds and 15 ints over the guy that throws 20 and only 5 all day long and twice on any day that ends in “y”.
Edit: 2, Washington State managed to have a losing season even with Anthony Gordon throwing 48 TDs to 16 Ints.
Teams that had a qb wit 15 ints last year

Southern Miss 7-6
New Mexico State 2-10
UAB 9-5
Washington State 6-7
Utah State with a 1st rd qb 7-6

The only team who had a qb that threw 15 in twelve games was 2-10.

If you throw that many ints you aren't competing for a conference title. You are most likely a 500 team.

Southern Miss 7-6
New Mexico State 2-10
UAB 9-5
Washington State 6-7

If you throw that many ints you aren't competing for a conference title. You are most likely a 500 team.
I noticed you only looked for teams with qbs with the ints. Why not try and look up qbs with 35+ tds and tell me what you come up with. Also I noticed that list only includes teams with terrible defenses.

GIVE OR TAKE:

An average defense will give up points on 15 turnovers about 60% of the time. But only half of that percentage will be tds.

A good defense will give up points on 50%. Once again only half will be tds. Which is about where were we are.

A great defense will only give up points on around 40%. You guessed it.... only half will be tds.

Southern Miss 7-6
New Mexico State 2-10
UAB 9-5
Washington State 6-7

Dont start spinning stuff K-town. The discussion. Is TDs and Ints. Not just INTs. Stop being argumentative just for the sake of being argumentative.

Is it possible to just have everyone ignore this troll and stop replying to him? Maybe he'll go away

I noticed you only looked for teams with qbs with the ints. Why not try and look up qbs with 35+ tds and tell me what you come up with. Also I noticed that list only includes teams with terrible defenses.

GIVE OR TAKE:

An average defense will give up points on 15 turnovers about 60% of the time. But only half of that percentage will be tds.

A good defense will give up points on 50%. Once again only half will be tds. Which is about where were we are.

A great defense will only give up points on around 40%. You guessed it.... only half will be tds.
Did you expect him to post an unbiased list of stats ?
He can't do it

VN Store

Back