Jerry Mack Hired As Next RB Coach

First off, running back is the easiest position in football to coach (that doesn't mean everyone can do it though). But if you've been an OC, you can coach any position on offense (with the exception of QB, which Mack has done). Secondly, It appears that CJH puts a premium on coaches that can actually coach and develop talent.
And hopefully one that can restore UT's recruiting success along the I-85 and I-95 corridors.

Our last several head coaches either didn’t have a philosophy of their own or didn’t hire guys that fit that system. I like that CJH is assembling a staff that is attempting to compliment each other and casting a proper vision.

The last time Rice was ranked was in 1961. Since 2000 they had a winning record just 6 times. It’s a pretty difficult job.

And hopefully one that can restore UT's recruiting success along the I-85 and I-95 corridors.
If we win some games and play an exciting brand of football, the program recruits itself for the most part. Expecting to pull classes equal to Bama, UGA, and LSU is pure fantasy right now. Recruiting top 15 classes and giving yourself a chance to win games against UGA and UF in the 4th quarter, consistently, is doable.

. Please explain why
Many different reasons. CJH likes him for his system, that should be good enough.

If it's not. . . many years of coaching experience, including head coaching experience. He's worked in different regions and is connected locally in those areas. He knows how to recruit in very tough situations. He's a good technical coach and has a good character history.

What resume do you want for a RB coach? He has as a 31-15 record as a head coach. That's pretty good. Plus he has ties to Memphis. What do you people want?
Ha, I was kinda disappointed at first but then I thought about it and I can’t name you one single RB’s coach other than Graham and Hardesty. So I really don’t feel qualified to say if this is a good hire or not. I’ll just take a wait and see approach.
However, I’m trying to turn over a new leaf and be a positive fan, so...great hire!
GBO!!

I like this hire. Not a big name, but Mack seems to have a solid resumé as a coach, not to mention that he has Memphis ties which should help us in recruiting west Tennessee.

i didnt even know rice had a football team but SADDLE UP PARTNER

tenor.gif

Reactions: Volnbeers
Read he has good recruiting ties to South and especially Memphis and runs up tempo offense like JH

If he can really help us recruit successfully in West TN and/or Middle TN, I think that would go a long way toward earning his keep.

It will be interesting to see how Heupel divides recruiting once his staff is in place. He stated emphasis on dominating TN recruiting in his intro press conference, then seemed a little surprised when one of the media said “yeah, the last 3-4 coaches here told us that too”. Heupel was probably thinking “then why are TN top recruits all going to Clemson, OSU, LSU, Ole Miss, etc.”

I like this hire. Not a big name, but Mack seems to have a solid resumé as a coach, not to mention that he has Memphis ties which should help us in recruiting west Tennessee.

I am not saying he can’t or hasn’t recruited West Tennessee, but going back to his last two stops and looking at the rosters, I found 1 player from Jackson, Tn. A couple from Nashville.

Where he can really help us is in the Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Recruiting while under sanctions is a whole different sales job. It might even mean recruiting a different type of player (taking closer looks at the overlooked and undervalued). Think how Barnes recruited when he arrived at Tennessee.

I'll definitely wager that in the next two seasons we will see star performances from more than one "undersized" 3-star recruit---and RB in this offense would be the prime position for that.

Solid recruiting ties to Texas.

I feel like Tennessee should be able to get a few more recruits out of Texas.

Nobody has ever had success at Rice

In fairness, Rice is characterized as a private, research university. The most popular majors at Rice are Computer and Information Sciences, Mechanical Engineering; Cognitive Science; Economics, and Biochemistry.

Not enough 3- and 4-stars seeking those degrees to field a deep squad. And if they are, the Ivy League and Stanford have the advantage recruiting them.

Whatever a coach accomplishes at Rice is a demonstration of accomplishing more with less.

Reactions: VolNExile
Eddie Gran did the OC to RB Coach two step while he was coming along. He was pretty good as RB coach if I recall correctly.

The last time Rice was ranked was in 1961. Since 2000 they had a winning record just 6 times. It’s a pretty difficult job.
Sadly, we’ve only had 5 winning seasons with our previous 4 head coaches, so he should be up to speed with UT.

VN Store

Back