*****Jeremy Pruitt weekly press conference at noon (Notes and Video)

I saw a super humble Pruitt and you have to feel for the poor guy, because what he has going on isn’t winning any accolades anytime soon

Reactions: McDad
This can be a powerful moment of buy in for Sapp and others. Knowing the coach will forgive/forget can forge a trust which can weather severe adversity.
I thought that too, but I haven't made up my mind which story I believe, so that could change it. IMO.

It goes without saying, I hope your scenario is what actually happens. Or at the very least, like sumbeech said, they all just move on.

thank you.
Our performance on the field looks even worse in light of that talent level. It's one thing to finish 13th or 14th in the conference with basement talent. We're finishing 13th or 14th with mid-level talent. Talent that should be able to beat teams like every East team except Georgia and 2-3 West teams.

I hate to say this because I'm sure there are some of Butch's guys who still want to play and are trying, but I don't think we'll see noticeable improvement in this team until all or almost all of Butch's guys have graduated. Those guys are part of a culture that is the exact opposite of everything Pruitt and his staff seem like they are trying to implement. Even if they aren't disillusioned, this has to be a shock to their system. We can't judge Pruitt until he's coaching a team made up of mostly his players. That won't happen until about year 3.

Our performance on the field looks even worse in light of that talent level. It's one thing to finish 13th or 14th in the conference with basement talent. We're finishing 13th or 14th with mid-level talent. Talent that should be able to beat teams like every East team except Georgia and 2-3 West teams.

I hate to say this because I'm sure there are some of Butch's guys who still want to play and are trying, but I don't think we'll see noticeable improvement in this team until all or almost all of Butch's guys have graduated. Those guys are part of a culture that is the exact opposite of everything Pruitt and his staff seem like they are trying to implement. Even if they aren't disillusioned, this has to be a shock to their system. We can't judge Pruitt until he's coaching a team made up of mostly his players. That won't happen until about year 3.
I find people who share my opinion to be incredibly intelligent. You're very wise.

Reactions: VolNExile
I find people who share my opinion to be incredibly intelligent. You're very wise.
:)

I think the "we have no talent" train is gearing up because that was the case during Dooley and early in Butch's tenure.

A talent differential does not explain the losses to Florida 2 years in a row or 4 out of the last 5. A talent differential does not explain the loss to South Carolina or a 4-point win over UMass last year. A talent differential does not explain losing to Vanderbilt 4 out of the last 6 years. Each of those teams are, at best, just as talented as Tennessee, and in the case of Vandy or UMass significantly less talented.

Sapp has addressed this again? I missed that.
No no no, I'm saying if his first and only statement ( that I'm aware of) were true, I wouldn't think it would be over this quickly.

But again, I don't know, I'm just guessing on what little info I have.

Best to not read anything else on this from me. Lulz.

:)

I think the "we have no talent" train is gearing up because that was the case during Dooley and early in Butch's tenure.

A talent differential does not explain the losses to Florida 2 years in a row or 4 out of the last 5. A talent differential does not explain the loss to South Carolina or a 4-point win over UMass last year. A talent differential does not explain losing to Vanderbilt 4 out of the last 6 years. Each of those teams are, at best, just as talented as Tennessee, and in the case of Vandy or UMass significantly less talented.
Very true. Raw talent is there. Sure there are some busts on recruiting and stars dont pan out. But that should be relatively the same at all schools. The physical and mental development is where UT is lacking. Our raw talent is still raw.

I dont think so. Just his initial statement. Everything else is behind closed doors.
Oh. Well, one of them isn't being truthful then. I guess I hope it's Sapp, cause I don't want a coach that would let someone believe a player literally quit on his team during a game when they didn't.

No no no, I'm saying if his first and only statement ( that I'm aware of) were true, I wouldn't think it would be over this quickly.

But again, I don't know, I'm just guessing on what little info I have.

Best to not read anything else on this from me. Lulz.
I gotcha. lol

Oh. Well, one of them isn't being truthful then. I guess I hope it's Sapp, cause I don't want a coach that would let someone believe a player literally quit on his team during a game when they didn't.
Hyams said he believes Sapp. And, from Sapp's perspective it could simply be miscommunication through the chain of command and both Sapp and CJP are truthful in their differing versions. Possibly chalk it up to growing pains of new staff and highly emotional evening perhaps?

Reactions: SmokinBob
What do you think the problem is, McDadio?
1. University leadership
2. Haslam disproportionate influence.
3. Culture
4. Undeveloped talent
5. Wrong player types for new schemes
6. Unproven coaches (in new roles) learning OTJ.
7. No new UT coach lost to UL Monroe in year one.

Reactions: Behr
1. University leadership
2. Haslam disproportionate influence.
3. Culture
4. Undeveloped talent
5. Wrong player types for new schemes
6. Unproven coaches (in new roles) learning OTJ.
7. No new UT coach lost to UL Monroe in year one.
Lol at 7. He sucks. Haha.

What's Jurmy's problem though? Why hasn't he and his staff shown us a better product than what we've seen thus far?

Lol at 7. He sucks. Haha.

What's Jurmy's problem though? Why hasn't he and his staff shown us a better product than what we've seen thus far?
My fear, Behr, is Coach Cornbread is a great DC when he has elite talent but is not Head Coach material. And, there are many Coordinators who are amazing in that role but stink as HC. There is no shame in that reality.
I dont really know why are we're not seeing improvement though. Probably a combo of things from my list; especially number 7. That's what makes coaches like Saban build a dynasty.

Reactions: hog88 and Behr
My fear, Behr, is Coach Cornbread is a great DC when he has elite talent but is not Head Coach material. And, there are many Coordinators who are amazing in that role but stink as HC. There is no shame in that reality.
I dont really know why are we're not seeing improvement though. Probably a combo of things from my list; especially number 7. That's what makes coaches like Saban build a dynasty.

A lot of good coaches started off as coordinators.

There’s no way to tell how good of a HC Pruitt will be until he gets a couple of his recruiting classes under his belt.

If he’s still struggling with his own players he recruited, then there’s a legit reason to be concerned.

A lot of good coaches started off as coordinators.

There’s no way to tell how good of a HC Pruitt will be until he gets a couple of his recruiting classes under his belt.

If he’s still struggling with his own players he recruited, then there’s a legit reason to be concerned.
I agree. But I have the temerity to be concerned by the 1st 4 games, too. I'm just that kinda guy.

I agree. But I have the temerity to be concerned by the 1st 4 games, too. I'm just that kinda guy.

Fair enough.

However, I truly believe these players Pruitt is working with isn’t willing to put in the effort to make his system work.

I’m not excusing the poor performance, trust me, but you could look at their body language that they look defeated.

No heart or fire left in them.

Appreciate the honesty, and I think that's fair. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he can be a great HC. I just find it hard to think he was as successful as he was to not be. Obviously I can be wrong, but if I'm not, wtf is the problem? I ask myself.

Others see everything as an excuse, anything said that they disagree with is an excuse. Its gotta be something.

Anyway, I have no answers. It is frustrating to see all of our East opponents getting better and us...well whatever it is we're doing.

Behr and Josh. I have no animosity with fans who have hope and see great potential in CJP. Im glad yall still have hope after the decade of despair.
Where i differ is when people get their panties twisted because they dont want to agree with concerns seen on the field. And then we get excuses (which may be valid) and a mantra of "he's the man/great coach".

Hyams said he believes Sapp. And, from Sapp's perspective it could simply be miscommunication through the chain of command and both Sapp and CJP are truthful in their differing versions. Possibly chalk it up to growing pains of new staff and highly emotional evening perhaps?
well even in his presser Pruitt said "people make mistakes and we're moving on".

he never said it was Sapp that made the mistake.....could be they did talk, pruitt realized later what actually happened, maybe he overreacted?
that's at least as likely as any ohter scenario that's been presented, not knowing what actually took place, or what was said yesterday.

just sayin'.

Reactions: VolNExile and McDad
well even in his presser Pruitt said "people make mistakes and we're moving on".

he never said it was Sapp that made the mistake.....could be they did talk, pruitt realized later what actually happened, maybe he overreacted?
that's at least as likely as any ohter scenario that's been presented, not knowing what actually took place, or what was said yesterday.

just sayin'.
I agree completely. Lines of communication get crossed. Both could be giving an accurate account of their side of the incident.

Reactions: jakez4ut

VN Store

Back