Jeremy Pruitt still 'absolutely' thinks Jarrett Guarantano gives Vols best chance to win

I agree. I think about it this way. We are hiring nobodies. People upgrading to a huge stage from obscurity. You would think the UT holds all the bargaining chips in that scenario. I mean, wouldn't you eventually find some chump we've never heard of who would take a chance even without a buyout?
I remember this board blowing up when there were VQ reports that there was a snag in the negotiations between Fulmer and Pruitt. Lot of “Fulmer is going to mess this up and we’ll end up with his boy Steele!” Lot of message board wailing and gnashing of teeth. Pruitt was no mystery candidate. He received the going rate (a little less monetarily) for a first time HC in the SEC.

Pruitt's biggest challenge once he loses the UT job (after next year)? What school is ever going to trust him as an HC?
1. He is not an offense guy, but stands in the way of progress by injecting himself into the QB situation.
2. He is a Defensive guy, but his D has become worse, not better.
3. He was billed as an old school coach, but the fundamentals (tackling & pass blocking) are terrible.

Reactions: hexnut and tnvols72
I remember this board blowing up when there were VQ reports that there was a snag in the negotiations between Fulmer and Pruitt. Lot of “Fulmer is going to mess this up and we’ll end up with his boy Steele!” Lot of message board wailing and gnashing of teeth. Pruitt was no mystery candidate. He received the going rate (a little less monetarily) for a first time HC in the SEC.
This board specializes in gnashing of teeth. Yesterday, I was reading the archives of posts during Dooley years. We gnash and we gnash and we gnash so more, and all that happens is our gnashers get sore.

Even though we are offering the "going rate", I am wondering if there is better negotiation tactic. It looks like the negotiation upper hand rests with ADs.

I don't fault a coach for getting all they can and getting a golden parachute if they don't cut it. Furthermore, a great coach will more than pay for themselves. In fact, just as I advise my clients who are adding staff, I believe hiring the right person at a higher salary is less expensive long term than hiring the wrong person. Good employees add value; bad employees subtract value.

This board specializes in gnashing of teeth. Yesterday, I was reading the archives of posts during Dooley years. We gnash and we gnash and we gnash so more, and all that happens is our gnashers get sore.

Even though we are offering the "going rate", I am wondering if there is better negotiation tactic. It looks like the negotiation upper hand rests with ADs.

I don't fault a coach for getting all they can and getting a golden parachute if they don't cut it. Furthermore, a great coach will more than pay for themselves. In fact, just as I advise my clients who are adding staff, I believe hiring the right person at a higher salary is less expensive long term than hiring the wrong person. Good employees add value; bad employees subtract value.
I know my teeth are worn down to nubs.

Reactions: McDad

It’s the price of doing business at this level. To your point, hiring the right person is key.

It’s the price of doing business at this level. To your point, hiring the right person is key.
This is the assumption based on status quo. I would like to see our AD attempt a different approach. I think eventually, the large buyouts in contracts will be reined in. Someone has to be the innovator. And you know how UT has a reputation for innovating.

This is the assumption based on status quo. I would like to see our AD attempt a different approach. I think eventually, the large buyouts in contracts will be reined in. Someone has to be the innovator. And you know how UT has a reputation for innovating.
It’s not going to happen. I remember when Ricky Williams went with the agent who negotiated an incentive laden contract with little or no guarantees. That was innovative. He got a new agent. An AD who tries to cost cut AND hire a leader of the biggest moneymaker on campus will be an ex-AD in short order.

It’s not going to happen. I remember when Ricky Williams went with the agent who negotiated an incentive laden contract with little or no guarantees. That was innovative. He got a new agent. An AD who tries to cost cut AND hire a leader of the biggest moneymaker on campus will be an ex-AD in short order.
It will happen. The only question is when and by whom.

The pendulum is generally swinging to far each way it goes. Contracts are no different. Right now the pendulum has swung in favor of the coach. It will swing back towards the universities eventually...and it will swing too far.

Coaches are in a tough spot, though. Some (much, maybe) of their success isn't completely under their control. The landscape is littered with "slam dunks" who are sucking wind. Harbaugh, Frost, and Hermann just to name a few.

Reactions: Remy
It will happen. The only question is when and by whom.

The pendulum is generally swinging to far each way it goes. Contracts are no different. Right now the pendulum has swung in favor of the coach. It will swing back towards the universities eventually...and it will swing too far.

Coaches are in a tough spot, though. Some (much, maybe) of their success isn't completely under their control. The landscape is littered with "slam dunks" who are sucking wind. Harbaugh, Frost, and Hermann just to name a few.
We’ll revisit when this happens...if we’re still alive. 😏

We’ll revisit when this happens...if we’re still alive. 😏
I'm old but I plan on living for a while.

Here's a thought. I suspect that the folks flappin their gums about college football in the day before message boards couldn't even conceive of college coaches making multiple millions each season. Let alone huge buyouts if they failed. And yet, here we be.

You are just on the other side of that coin today.

But like you said, hire the right person and all of this is moot. What is it like to discuss good football by our program and not the administration of coaches? I forgot.

Reactions: butchna
I'm old but I plan on living for a while.

Here's a thought. I suspect that the folks flappin their gums about college football in the day before message boards couldn't even conceive of college coaches making multiple millions each season. Let alone huge buyouts if they failed. And yet, here we be.

You are just on the other side of that coin today.

But like you said, hire the right person and all of this is moot. What is it like to discuss good football by our program and not the administration of coaches? I forgot.
Something about Genies and how they used to go back in the bottle but now they have agents?

It’s a shame you can’t put out clauses in contracts, such as “if you don’t meet X performance criteria, your buyout is void”
you probably can but you might miss out on the coach you want

Here's where I think Pruitt's mind is.....and if it is he is in fact correct!

This is a covid season and by playing JG with his stats it can be a win-win for all. Yeah we get jabs about our record and losing, but look at it this way.

1. Pruitt gets to sell JG in a year where nobody loses a year, but there will still be a draft. Any kid drafted/ signed is good for all!
2. Bailey IS the best QB in the room, but again covid set things back so he's getting reps all while not being thrown into the fire. This is great for his development and he's not losing a year. Very SMART of Pruitt.
3. Bailey can now go thru an entire off season within the program and still be a "true freshman"! What wonders it will do for this offense!
4. JG will graduate this yr. So you can name Bailey the guy moving forward, JG can transfer/ enter draft/ etc. and it wont matter.

Guys, this is great for Pruitt and our VOLS. Its literally a practice yr!
It is not a practice year for recruiting. Any negative performances this year means an extra year or longer to make the program relevant. Actually stinking it up this year may mean we never become relevant. That is how crucial every year is when you are rebuilding.

I know it’s hard for people to accept it but JG is the best QB on the roster. We should all be hoping he comes back for another year.

No, we should all be hoping that the coaching staff does a better job of recruiting.

Reactions: VolDave53
Based on what I have seen of the other two quarterbacks, especially in Arkansas game. I think he's right. They see these kids in practice. The most popular player on the team among fans is always the second string quarterback.

Of course you could do that. You just wouldn't find any coach worth their salt who would sign it.
Don't disagree. Which is why you make damn sure you get someone who has a more likely chance to succeed. With all of this buyout money we have been paying, we could have went after someone with a lot more impressive credentials. Instead we are in a buyout cycle, where we are giving failed coaches X amount per year to not coach here. I'd rather us take that X amount and spend it on someone proven.

Based on what I have seen of the other two quarterbacks, especially in Arkansas game. I think he's right. They see these kids in practice. The most popular player on the team among fans is always the second string quarterback.
And who’s fault is that? Especially considering even Vandy has their true freshman qb playing well

No just smart enough to know who our best QB is.
fetchimage

VN Store

Back