Jeremy Pruitt ranked 14th best coach in the SEC

Who knows I hope he is another Fulmer could be another Bill Battle though
Bill Battle was 31-3 after his first 3 seasons, finished his 7 year career as Tennessee’s head coach with a .723 win percentage which was considerably higher than even Johnny Majors’ win % here. Really bad example imo.

Furthermore, none of us knows how good a coach Pruitt is or can be after 24 games, but I can confidently say which SEC coaches he’s clearly better than this year.....Muschamp, Stoops, Mason, Morehead, Morris, Odom and Luke. Additionally, he had Tennessee playing toe to toe vs Georgia thru 3 quarters with a severely outmanned roster.....he also had Tennessee to essentially within 1 boneheaded JG play of being within 1 score of Alabama with 7 minutes left in the game.

Until further notice, only Saban, Smart, Mullen, Orgeron and maybe, MAYBE I tell ya, Fisher, are currently better SEC coaches than Pruitt.

. The expectation is to beat Florida and win the East is it not? Eventually Pruitt will have to do that right? I mean those are my expectations and I’m sure they are Fulmer’s as well
I can guran-damn-tee that Mullen would not be able to beat Florida if he were hired as the coach here.....why you ask? Because his recruiting sucks.

Bill Battle was 31-3 after his first 3 seasons, finished his 7 year career as Tennessee’s head coach with a .723 win percentage which was considerably higher than even Johnny Majors’ win % here. Really bad example imo.

Furthermore, none of us knows how good a coach Pruitt is or can be after 24 games, but I can confidently say which SEC coaches he’s clearly better than this year.....Muschamp, Stoops, Mason, Morehead, Morris, Odom and Luke. Additionally, he had Tennessee playing toe to toe vs Georgia thru 3 quarters with a severely outmanned roster.....he also had Tennessee to essentially within 1 boneheaded JG play of being within 1 score of Alabama with 7 minutes left in the game.

Until further notice, only Saban, Smart, Mullen, Orgeron and maybe, MAYBE I tell ya, Fisher, are currently better SEC coaches than Pruitt.
Bill Battle didn't have to compete with cell phones and the internet, though!

Al, you're probably just as sure of this as you were of your earlier declaration.

I'm not so sure of either.

We don't yet know what Jeremy's capable of...I'm fairly confident he's the best we've had since Fulmer...he might be the best we've had since Neyland. Heck, he could turn out to be the best we've EVER had.

We just don't know yet.

Time will tell.

Go Vols!
He seems to know football and players seem to like him. Time is the answer and true, we're clueless as to his potential. Not allowing Cimaglia to attempt FG's against BYU is the worst mistake,imo. He had confidence in an inexperienced OLine and shoulda taken the safe route. That water is under the bridge and we need recruits now.....

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Next year in Knoxville we will beat Florida. This team has a different grit to them.

I agree but IF we put an L on the Okies, we roll right on through the gatas. Don't laugh the Okies will be starting a brand new inexperienced QB. Give Pruitt months to plan for that offense and he can minimize what they'll be able to do. We have to have solid QB play whoever it is.

Reactions: rocketskates
Mullen just flat comes across as a wild eyed goober. Pruitt is cornbread and talks right.

Gimme Pruitt everyday.

I can't wait until the near future when Pruitt mudstomps the gators back into the Everglades and turns them into UT's bee-atches. I hope it happens while Mullen is still there.

Reactions: VOLSONLY

This isn't aimed at you, KBVol, just a chance to vent about modern analytics use in sports.

You gotta look beyond the numbers, my friend.

Battle had the following trajectory. Remember that he took over a Doug Dickey roster that was LOADED:

1970 11-1
1971 10-2
1972 10-2
1973 8-4
1974 7-3-2
1975 7-5
1976 6-5

Yup, 31-5 after 3 seasons, and a 72% winning percentage. But do you see where the program was going once the Dickey players were gone?

Majors was here longer, and had a rebuilding job Battle left him. His record trended up, with 1988 as a notable exception.

I only post this because, IMHO, metrics alone provide a poor basis for decisions in sports. Case in point, JG is, on average, a serviceable SEC QB at best. But, if you focus solely on his selected metrics, he is almost Manning-esque (a point the idiots on the SECN shoved down our throats earlier this season.) That said, if the game is on the line, do you want Manning in his prime or JG in at QB? I'll hang up and listen.

Everyone read Moneyball, and suddenly sports was all about metrics and analytics It isn't.

Here's how I'd rank them

1. Saban
2. Mullen
3. Fisher
4. Smart
5. Orgeron
6. Malzahn
7. Muschamp
8. Stoops
9. Odom
10. Mason
11. Pruitt
12. Luke
13. Morehead
14. Morris

1. Orgeron
2. Mullen
3. Saban
4. Smart
5. Stoops
6. Pruitt
7. Fisher
8.malzahn
9.muschamp
10.morehead
11.luke
12.odom
13. Mason
14. Morris

This +100
Mullen is a nerd, but he is ok. I loved this photo I saw a few years ago. It inspired me to get the sweatshirt.
B5Vsey3CYAAwQxi.jpg

VN Store

Back