Jeremy Pruitt Press Conference, S. Carolina Week, 12pm

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member

Notes:

>We're not going to release our exact numbers of available players each week.

>Harrison and Brian have both missed practice for different reasons. JT has had an opportunity to get more reps.

>We've planned all along for Cade to be able to play. He deserves an opportunity to play.

>We have good leadership on our team, a willingness to fight. There will be adversity on Saturday and we have to be able to overcome it and find the answers.

>On last year's opener, if you turn the ball over five times and only get one turnover you aren't going to win. That's the same every week.

>Both Ty and Eric have had good camps. Eric missed some days. You continue to see improvement and they compete with each other.

>Going on the road is one of the great tests in football. You have to be able to block out the noise, whether there's 100,000 fans or 25,000.

>Mike Bobo (SC offensive coordinator) is a competitor. He wants to win at everything he does. He'll have a great game plan and his kids will play hard.

>Carlin Fils-Aime isn't listed on the roster.... He graduated this summer and is sitting out this year. He possibly may come back in January but we've yet to decide that yet. He's done everything we asked him to do as a player. He's had some injuries that have kept him off the field. We'd love to have him back for sure.

>You only get to travel 70 guys, the ones you take need to be able to contribute, whether it be special teams or defense. We'll play 70 guys on Saturday.

>Our guys have worked hard. We have good competition at every position. Guys who have had more reps could play more this weekend than those who have been out.

>You don't want to put unrealistic expectations on freshman. Some guys will play very little in this game might have an impact on the next seven. You have to be able to practice to create confidence, and unfortunately some of our young guys have missed a lot of practice time. That may have more of an impact on playing time this week than their ability. A lot of our freshmen will contribute this year.

>If you're going to win in this league you have to control the line of scrimmage on both sides. That starts in August. We're not were we need to be yet on the defensive line but we're getting there.

>We have 3-4 guys working at TE. We'll settle on 1-2 for the game but it's a position we'll continue to challenge and create competition.

/the end.

Last edited:
"We're not were we need to be yet but we're getting there"

We have very different views of what confidence is!!!@
Not sure I’ve ever heard a coach say “we’re there,” especially before the first game has been played. That said, I personally didn’t get much of a read from Pruitt on anything besides the fact that he thinks Cade deserves to play.

We knew it was rough a couple of weeks ago, but it was still mindblowing to hear CJP say that if the game was 15 days ago, we'd have had 50 players unavailable.
I have a feeling we’re going to be surprised by some of the players on the field on Saturday because of who got reps and who didn’t.

Not sure I’ve ever heard a coach say “we’re there,” especially before the first game has been played. That said, I personally didn’t get much of a read from Pruitt on anything besides the fact that he thinks Cade deserves to play.
We’re never going hear Pruitt utter words remotely close to “we’re there.”

Not so much "we are there " more of a im comfort where we sre but there is always room to improve...type statement..
Plus how many positions are still in competition???

I have a feeling we’re going to be surprised by some of the players on the field on Saturday because of who got reps and who didn’t.
All you have to do is look at all the players; especially pitchers, that MLB has been through this year. There's going to be a covid effect due to all the stops and starts in fall camp and no spring practice.

Lol. Agree. And I wouldn’t want him to say that.
I don't think Pruitt will ever be satisfied. I listened to the PC, I was thinking he is either confident or is comfortable or both. I am not able to read him, but he sounds different than last year to me. Heck he may be just to the point of having to adjust to what he can't control cause of Covid.. It will he interesting to see this weekend.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
All you have to do is look at all the players; especially pitchers, that MLB has been through this year. There's going to be a covid effect due to all the stops and starts in fall camp and no spring practice.
That’s why I’m prepared to be scratching my head at some personnel decisions on Saturday. Besides a few guys who have been mentioned by name, we don’t really know who has missed significant practice time.

As long as Pruitt has set a 5-man lineup for the offensive line with Mays, and without, prior to the game starting, then Mays playing or not in the first game shouldn't be make-or-break with the existing personnel.

So he is going to play every player that travels. That to me sounds like the QB 1,2,3...... is not fully determined yet

As long as Pruitt has set a 5-man lineup for the offensive line with Mays, and without, prior to the game starting, then Mays playing or not in the first game shouldn't be make-or-break with the existing personnel.
I don’t think it’s make or break but I think everyone would like to see him out there, obviously. We’ve rotated and practiced a lot of guys on the line from what I understand, so I think Pruitt is prepared either way. Regardless, I hope we hear something in the next day or so from the SEC.

Reactions: BigDave
"We're not were we need to be yet but we're getting there"

We have very different views of what confidence is!!!@

With football coaches (and a lot of other professions, like the military), when the leader talks it's useful to listen less to what he says, and more to how he says it.

Pruitt in this press briefing today, compared to most every other one we've seen him give before a game over the past two years, seems very confident. Relaxed. He comes across as a guy who knows his lads have his back. He's seen what the other guys have, and he's seen what he has, and he's pretty sure his is better.

I think he's brimming with it. I do indeed. WGWTFA.

Go Vols!

When asked about his comment on the DL he said that it was a challenge. Most likely didn't like the effort and physicality he was seeing so he called them out publicly and challenged them to step it up. I'm thinking they're gonna be ready to go by Saturday. Probably even look better than we're expecting. Except for D. Taylor, we didn't lose any production from last year. I understand he was a sack machine, but everyone else on the DL got at least 2 sacks last year unless I read that wrong the other day. None of them were slouches.

VN Store

Back