Jeremy Pruitt press conference post UAB

Funny, but here is the hard truth. QB play (particularly one QB) put this team in a huge hole this season. With competent QB play, this team would be at least 6-3...and maybe better.

So, does it unfairly ruffle fans when you keep going back to the same QB that dug this hole to start the season? Yes, and there is nothing wrong for the fans in pointing it out. And it sure as he!! doesn’t constitute whining.
Why do you think that you pointing it out means anything at all to coach Pruitt. This isn't little league where the parents and fans are in charge.

Reactions: MiramarVol
I’m not understanding the post and intent. Are you pro-Stout or pro-JG getting most of the snaps today?

I'm not "pro" either player, as if following a politician. I'm not voting for them, it isn't a beauty contest and I don't have any bias either way. Probably not what you were saying I know, but a lot of folks on here act like they are voting for or deciding to date one of the QBs, which is ridiculous.

What I was simply saying was that JT did not look effective tonight, which is likely why Pruitt pulled him out. JG was 14/21 for 147 yards, one TD, one int, Shrout was 3/6 for 34 yards and a near pick. QBR rating was 41.5 for JG and 23.8 for Shrout. By any objective measure, JG was better.

Funny, but here is the hard truth. QB play (particularly one QB) put this team in a huge hole this season. With competent QB play, this team would be at least 6-3...and maybe better.

So, does it unfairly ruffle fans when you keep going back to the same QB that dug this hole to start the season? Yes, and there is nothing wrong for the fans in pointing it out. And it sure as he!! doesn’t constitute whining.

Yes. The ball bounced off JG's hands in the end zone vs florida. No wait, that was Jennings. Yes, JG let a Sun Belt cut through our defensive line like melted butter in the opener. No wait, that was our actual defensive line! Yes, JG let a WR get behind him on 3rd and long with under 20 seconds left vs BYU, in the simplest pass defense there is. No wait, that was Alontae Taylor!

So JG was solely responsible for those three losses. GMAFB.

I'm not "pro" either player, as if following a politician. I'm not voting for them, it isn't a beauty contest and I don't have any bias either way. Probably not what you were saying I know, but a lot of folks on here act like they are voting for or deciding to date one of the QBs, which is ridiculous.

What I was simply saying was that JT did not look effective tonight, which is likely why Pruitt pulled him out. JG was 14/21 for 147 yards, one TD, one int, Shrout was 3/6 for 34 yards and a near pick. QBR rating was 41.5 for JG and 23.8 for Shrout. By any objective measure, JG was better.

With 67% more opportunities, I’d hope his numbers were better.

JG is an offensive black hole.

His entire time at UT, except for Auburn last year and USC this year, he has been the other teams greatest defensive player.

I know he is better than Shrout right now but only because Shrout is higher risk than JG.

Maurer should be the starter. I hope he isn't injured too bad.

How can you say "There are just some things you can't do in the red zone as a quarterback." So a freshman can't make a bad decision in the red zone, which didn't end up as a turnover. However, JG (who has made terrible decisions all year) can turn the ball over whenever in the red zone and get to come back out later. I just feel like it is very hypocritical what Pruitt is saying there. He did bench JG at the beginning of the second half after that turnover but then went right back to him after a series. I just don't get it. I like how Pruitt is improving as a coach and I really like the coaching staff. This whole QB situation is just really confusing to me. I just hope JG does end up transferring because I don't want to be having this conversation all of next year.

JG made mistakes but he still is doing way better than he was at the start of the season.
No. Not really. The D was much better. JG was still late and short on too many throws. He's still too slow delivering the ball. What he did tonight won't get UT to a bowl. UK and Mizzou will both stop it. Their O won't be as easily handled.

Morris didn’t do him any favors and some of the mistakes attributed to JG are erroneous.
Not sure which ones you're talking about... but he made more than enough to lose against an SEC team.

I do wish we could have see Maurer in though. I have to think JP is holding him back for the more important road games coming up.
Sadly I doubt it. Not sure what's going on but Pruitt committed to JG during the off season. He never wanted to take him out. He's now desperately clinging to the idea that he's "better". His play tonight wasn't much if any better than GSU. The D was just able to make up for him.

To be fair JT got pulled after 1.......ONE pass attempt.

How can anyone say “he didn’t look effective”?

I gots no real dog in this. I’m happy Tennessee got the win. However if your going to start a guy......maybe, just maybe give him more than 1 pass attempt before pulling him. I mean really the other two QB’s have made their fair share of dumb and bad plays this year.

But hey I don’t care if they put the punter back there as long as Tennessee gets the win.

I found it interesting that JG gets a pass on the ball being slick because of the air, but JT gets called out for throwing one across his body on the run. JG's interception in the EZ was a terrible decision off his back foot.
He got chewed out by the Pruitt and didnt play the next series. I dont call that getting a pass. I think Pruitt was giving JT an opportunity to prove himself by moving the ball down the field and scoring a TD and he failed to that in any series he played.

Reactions: BanditVol
To be fair JT got pulled after 1.......ONE pass attempt.

How can anyone say “he didn’t look effective”?
Did you watch the game? He played like 3 whole series after that and didnt put up any points. He was not effective

I'm not able to watch the press conference but perhaps you guys can correct me if CJP said otherwise.

Something to remember is if Maurer is 100% and is planned on being played next week, Shrout is still the #3 QB. JG played better at ALA and really well last week. This week he had just a couple poor throws and really I didn't see any of them that were affected by his hand. It still looked like the "okay" JG we've seen. Also keep in mind for awhile the OL (mostly the left side) couldn't block the pass rush. I don't know if I would trust the freshman against a solid defense. JG has dealt with guys in his face all his career.
I felt Shrout should have player more. They were constantly on UaB' s side of the field and their O couldn't do anything.
However, if my point is correct that Shrout is still 3rd string, it does make sense that you would like JG get as many snaps in live action with the cast. Maurer has only proven he gets hurt easily and even though Shrout played great last week I wouldn't put my eggs in his basket moving forward when JG may likely be needed more.
Again, I would have went the other route and gave Shrout as much time as possible and give him the #2 spot, but I can see the idea in the other way. I mean it's UAB there was no reason to panic. Heck if the game was getting bad they might have put Maurer in. Who knows.

Did you watch the game? He played like 3 whole series after that and didnt put up any points. He was not effective

Yep I watched it.

You said: “What I was simply saying was that JT did not look effective tonight, which is likely why Pruitt pulled him out.”

Pruitt pulled him after 1 pass attempt.

I said: “to be fair he got pulled after one attempt”

How can anyone be effective or ineffective after only having “one” attempt.

Im not saying he was or wasn’t effective......but that’s not the reason he was pulled after one possession and one pass attempt.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Because Shrout was ineffective and JG wasn't. JG did throw a bad pick, but Shrout tried to and just failed.

Did you watch the game last week? Which QB do you think moved the ball better?
Shrout. He was given no opportunity. Then when he did, he went 7 for 11 for like 122 and a touch. My yards could be off by a few. Beautiful throws to Callaway and Jennings for big games. He will throw into coverage some bc hes a freshmen. Jg throws a pick today that is back foot, fading away, under throw and late. I'd rather have rifle arm Shrout make a typical freshmen mistake to learn so he could learn from it, than a rs junior making freshmen mistakes. If Jaratano doesn't know by now not to throw that ball then he won't ever know.

Maurer scares me to put to much faith in because he cant take a hit. At least J.G. Is tough and continues to play. Pruitt has seen this and knows he needs J.G. Right now. If you think back over this year and last no way Maurer takes the hits Guarantano does and plays trough it. I Like the kids moxie but has to get tougher.

Yep I watched it.

You said: “What I was simply saying was that JT did not look effective tonight, which is likely why Pruitt pulled him out.”

Pruitt pulled him after 1 pass attempt.

I said: “to be fair he got pulled after one attempt”

How can anyone be effective or ineffective after only having “one” attempt.

Im not saying he was or wasn’t effective......but that’s not the reason he was pulled after one possession and one pass attempt.
Pruitt started him so JG's name wouldn't be announced as starter. Pretty sure he intended to go with him the whole time.

Reactions: sechamp2012
Pruitt started him so JG's name wouldn't be announced as starter. Pretty sure he intended to go with him the whole time.

I don’t doubt that at all.

I honestly don’t even care as long as Tennessee is winning.

It was just said he was benched because he was ineffective.....lol come on......he was benched after one throw.

One thing most of you are missing is PRACTICE. The coach sees ALL the practices. We only see bits and pieces of practice. A good coach has to make decisions based on WHAT HE SEES in practice. JG must really practice much better than the other two. Pruitt and Chaney know football. There is a reason they believe in JG. I am not sure what it is but I have no doubt they know more than we do.

Reactions: VolGirl1126

I’m no expert, but it seems to me that the offensive line is took a step backwards yesterday. I believe that affected QB play and the run game.

Reactions: eroller1141@gmail
He got chewed out by the Pruitt and didnt play the next series. I dont call that getting a pass. I think Pruitt was giving JT an opportunity to prove himself by moving the ball down the field and scoring a TD and he failed to that in any series he played.
Yep jg gets chewed out after seeing jg make another damn dumb play and by golly he puts his ass back in. We have two other guys over there that can play as we have witnessed in previous games. Now maurer may still be in concussion or whatever protocol but shrout can play and probably better able to run an offense than the one arm middle school qb in jg. I just really do not understand why you start shrout each half and yanks him for jg who is just not good and no I don't make 4 million to make that call. But geez.

The defense had a hell of a game. Offense took a step back. Very few if any splash plays. Running game was flat and got stonewalled several times. Wanya Morris was eaten alive and got benched. I don’t think he played the 2nd half. I thought the Oline lacked push and also did a poor job protecting.

If your defense creates that many turnovers and provides that kind of field position, you should easily lay 45 points. The offense still showsthe inability to finish drives.

VN Store

Back