Jeremy Banks day 1 pick?

Unpopular opinion but at this point, I really don’t care where and when he gets drafted.

Dude was selfish and cost his team a chance at the play offs.

If you think Banks was the difference in giving up 63 points to South Carolina, than you might want to consider him an R1 talent after all. (I don't)

We seemed to do fine w/out him against Clemson.

Where do these numbers come from?

Why does it seem you are personally vested in downing him?

Those are his PFF grades. Vested interest in downing him? No. But there is a portion of this forum who believe because he recorded a lot of tackles last year, that he’s an elite Lb or “the best player on our defense”. Those narratives should be meet with the truth

He's gonna get drafted no doubt, I don't think anyone spends first round money on him tho, I think third or fourth round, if he fits with a system well, maybe late second.

If you think Banks was the difference in giving up 63 points to South Carolina, than you might want to consider him an R1 talent after all. (I don't)

We seemed to do fine w/out him against Clemson.
I would say that his absence impacted the game but probably the locker room disruption caused more.

That said, there have been guys with less talent who had long and productive careers in the NFL. Wherever he's taken in the draft should be a pretty accurate representation of what scouts think of him. He has no "star quality" like Bryce Young. There's not a lot of chatter about him. Should be pretty honest assessments. I couldn't tell you if that means R1 or UFA.

Those are his PFF grades. Vested interest in downing him? No. But there is a portion of this forum who believe because he recorded a lot of tackles last year, that he’s an elite Lb or “the best player on our defense”. Those narratives should be meet with the truth
He didn't have a particularly good year last year. He was 2nd in the SEC in tackles in 2021 though. You can't discount that.

I'm not sure you can call him elite... or say that he doesn't have great potential. I think he was hurt by the D he played on and possibly the DC he played for.

He was probably the best player at his individual position on UT's D this past fall. That's not a great statement or compliment. He's the guy other teams wanted to make sure got blocked. Again, just not a beauty pageant with a lot of pretty girls in it.

You're stating an opinion you hold strongly. That doesn't mean it is the "truth". Your angst seems to be personal toward him. I would get it if it was since he appears to have caused a locker room issue at exactly the wrong moment for UT.

He didn't have a particularly good year last year. He was 2nd in the SEC in tackles in 2021 though. You can't discount that.

I'm not sure you can call him elite... or say that he doesn't have great potential. I think he was hurt by the D he played on and possibly the DC he played for.

He was probably the best player at his individual position on UT's D this past fall. That's not a great statement or compliment. He's the guy other teams wanted to make sure got blocked. Again, just not a beauty pageant with a lot of pretty girls in it.

You're stating an opinion you hold strongly. That doesn't mean it is the "truth". Your angst seems to be personal toward him. I would get it if it was since he appears to have caused a locker room issue at exactly the wrong moment for UT.

Yeah, you can discount that. Tackles isn’t a great stat and doesn’t really tell you much.

I wouldn’t call him the best at his position at all. Beasley out played him.

I’m stating my opinion, yes. I’m also providing actual examples of his poor play and the opinions of professional scouts. And they all seem to point in the same direction.

He’s athletic for sure. But he reacts slow and gets lost in coverage frequently

Yeah, you can discount that. Tackles isn’t a great stat and doesn’t really tell you much.
Wait. You include low tackles in your response to his supporters but then toss it out when it isn't convenient to your argument?

I wouldn’t call him the best at his position at all. Beasley out played him.
Beasley improved over the course of the year. I don't think D's schemed with him in mind for most of the season. Banks was the best and most active of the returning LBs and the most "proven" at any position on D.

I’m stating my opinion, yes. I’m also providing actual examples of his poor play
Did I miss other examples or are you referring to tackles?

and the opinions of professional scouts.
FPI? That's a collation of data with some subjective attempts to "normalize" for competition and other factors. Were there other links to scouts?

And they all seem to point in the same direction.
I don't have an opinion about what the NFL thinks of Banks. To be honest though, I don't think him being an R1/R2 level LB is any more absurd than Richardson or Levis being called top 5 QBs... and for essentially the same reasons. It takes more than measurables to make a great player. Some players are great in spite of the lack of elite measurables. All three of those guys have good measurables.

He’s athletic for sure. But he reacts slow and gets lost in coverage frequently
Now you're talking. I think you could substantiate that if you took the time. But the NFL seems to be hyper-focused on "potential" since Josh Allen. Levis and Richardson have physical talent to be sure. But neither has proven to be particularly good in the mental part of the game.

Wait. You include low tackles in your response to his supporters but then toss it out when it isn't convenient to your argument?

Beasley improved over the course of the year. I don't think D's schemed with him in mind for most of the season. Banks was the best and most active of the returning LBs and the most "proven" at any position on D.

Did I miss other examples or are you referring to tackles?

FPI? That's a collation of data with some subjective attempts to "normalize" for competition and other factors. Were there other links to scouts?

I don't have an opinion about what the NFL thinks of Banks. To be honest though, I don't think him being an R1/R2 level LB is any more absurd than Richardson or Levis being called top 5 QBs... and for essentially the same reasons. It takes more than measurables to make a great player. Some players are great in spite of the lack of elite measurables. All three of those guys have good measurables.

Now you're talking. I think you could substantiate that if you took the time. But the NFL seems to be hyper-focused on "potential" since Josh Allen. Levis and Richardson have physical talent to be sure. But neither has proven to be particularly good in the mental part of the game.

Low tackles? When did I mention “low tackles?

I posted multiple examples of him giving up plays against Pitt including their first two tds that were both long plays.

No, pff are the scouts I’m referring to.

Richard and Levis have elite traits and QB is obviously far more valuable than off the ball Lb.

Jeremy Banks Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Weaknesses
  • Athletic frame is a little light for an inside linebacker.
  • Lateral pursuit slides lack suddenness to avoid blocks.
  • Inconsistent feel for leveraging his gaps.
  • Loses ground to the runner when play flows wide.
  • Lacks certainty with his coverage duties.
  • Documented off-the-field issues while at Tennessee.
Overview
Inside linebacker who makes up for being slightly undersized with physicality. Banks' instincts and recognition improved in 2022, but he can still get better in those areas. He plays with below-average short-area twitch and just modest pursuit speed from sideline to sideline but will hit and wrap what is in front of him. He’s a likely two-down backup who might come off the field on passing downs but run back out for special teams reps.
Crazy that 6’1 and 232 is undersized

Reactions: WillisWG
I still cannot believe Al Wilson’s name came up in this thread. Banks doesn’t possess anything near what Wilson did.
Agreed completely, and Banks wouldn’t have been a team distraction if he’d have played with Wilson as Al would have given Banks a beat down if Banks hadn’t of gotten in line

VN Store

Back