Jennings sideline tightrope TD to beat Fl or Joey Kent play #1 TD to begin the Bama massacre?

Probably would go with Jenning's catch as Tennessee was going to beat bama regardless if we scored on the first play or not that year. Thought Malone's TD in 2016 against UF was a better play than Jennings TD. 3rd and 10, Dobbs stands in the pocket and throws a perfect pass right as a defender is about to level him on a blitz hitting Malone in stride. Malone speeds by the entire Florida secondary like they were standing still. Believe that was Dobbs best throw as a vol. That score came right after an interception and florida was stunned. If florida holds us to a punt then some of the momentum swings back in their direction. However we were so dominant that 2nd half don't think the game was ever in doubt once we pulled ahead.

Reactions: 901 Orange
After further review Dobbs actually made the better throw. He got drilled just as he released the ball and still put the ball exactly where WR's want the ball, which is out in front to keep stride. Peyton put it right on Kent. As a former WR, if I got a skinny post I want the QB to lead me to open grass on the throw instead of putting it on me bc thats the difference between a 1st down and a TD. Kent just made a special play. Jennings actually made a better catch earlier in the 3rd on Anzalone's back to start the comeback.
Disagree

This is a tough one….. therefore I’m calling a tie. Both were devastating and incredibly enjoyable. Maybe a slight nod to Jennings catch due to the number of years the program had been in the litterbox at the time

Last edited:
Kent. Perhaps you need to have been an adult during that era, but we were so close to beating Bama so many times in the 4-5 years before that game. That catch began, in real fashion, a 4 year run of excellence ending in Peerless Price’s catch driving a dagger into the heart of FSU to win the NC.

Gotta say I always respected Kitchens. Limited natural ability as a QB, but a heckuva gamer. We beat him to a pulp that night, and he kept plowing along. Reminds me of JG in that regard.....

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Bama's players are generally pretty classy compared to Florida's players. The Jennings play burned a classless jerk so that makes it my favorite between the two.

Reactions: Remy
Probably would go with Jenning's catch as Tennessee was going to beat bama regardless if we scored on the first play or not that year. Thought Malone's TD in 2016 against UF was a better play than Jennings TD. 3rd and 10, Dobbs stands in the pocket and throws a perfect pass right as a defender is about to level him on a blitz hitting Malone in stride. Malone speeds by the entire Florida secondary like they were standing still. Believe that was Dobbs best throw as a vol. That score came right after an interception and florida was stunned. If florida holds us to a punt then some of the momentum swings back in their direction. However we were so dominant that 2nd half don't think the game was ever in doubt once we pulled ahead.
I thought Malone made a better play also. Jennings best play was actually the catch on Anzalone's back in the 3rd

Reactions: wmcovol and ENGRVOL
Kent all day. Juan’s catch was really exciting and historic. But I would argue Josh Malone’s 40+ yd TD was much closer to Kent’s route and both were just an absolute display of talent. Plus I spontaneously cried the moment Malone touched the ball because I knew at that second we were FINALLY going to beat the Gators. Like our score being higher than their score with zero on the clock. It was a many years long release that left my wife in awe.

Reactions: 901 Orange
Kent by leaps and bounds. As fun as it was to beat Florduh, it meant jack squat in the grand scheme of things.
That Kent catch and that game symbolizes the beginning of the best era in program history.

Reactions: Godfatha
I’m gonna go with the Kent catch and score. Because I was there at the beginning and well after the end. Singing Rocky Top at Legion Field
I still have my jacket that is covered with mustard and ketchup stains from that night. One of my best memories. My mom must have washed that jacket 100x trying to get the stains out.

the legion field peyton band game
was with six bama fans and we entered the upper deck just as the Huntsville comet made the catch

Both were great but the 95 game in Legion Field was greater and the "all he did was score on play #1" is my choice. But, I must add, Peyton led the band after beating Alabama in 97 but not in 95. The big entertainment after the 95 game was watching the Birmingham PD beating up on the 20 or 30 UT fans who rushed the field after the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArdentVol
Joey Kent. Because we proved that Florida game was a fluke and didn't mean **** to out program making a comeback.

Both were great but the 95 game in Legion Field was greater and the "all he was score on play #1" is my choice. But, I must add, Peyton led the band after beating Alabama in 97 but not in 95. The big entertainment after the 95 game was watching the Birmingham PD beating up on the 20 or 30 UT fans who rushed the field after the game.[/QUOTEdo be;lieve you are correct, yet somewhat have a picture of peyton w/ the band. I clearly remember there were horrible lines in the upper deck rest room, and i boltted out and saw the play before returning. Missed the Bull O;onnor show.Bama fans I was with were seething we were delayed getting to exits. Can't recall if there was report of incident in Tusk News.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back