Jeff Fisher to Vandy

Vandy needs a chrarcter at HC. Hate to say it but Leach would be a good fit. Atypical offense. Rebuilt WSU and TxTech....no easy chore

Everybody thought Arizona State was crazy for hiring Herm Edwards. Might be crazy enough to work (as in Vandy level work, win 50%, go to bowl games 1/2 the time, etc.)

I think recruits would be more likely to run away from him than to him.
Why? If he took the Vandy job, he'd be a former NFL coach recruiting largely 2 and 3-star recruits, not trying to convince elite NFL free agents. Do you really think the players he'd try to recruit would say "Oh, you went 7-9 a bunch of times in the NFL, not interested?" All Fisher would be expected to do there is go to a bowl game every other year or so.

I think there are better fits than Fisher for Vanderbilt (certainly cheaper fits), but that wouldn't be a bad hire for them at all. As others have said, Vandy really should consider hiring a triple option coach, IMO. I know I wouldn't want to face that every year.

Why? If he took the Vandy job, he'd be a former NFL coach recruiting largely 2 and 3-star recruits, not trying to convince elite NFL free agents. Do you really think the players he'd try to recruit would say "Oh, you went 7-9 a bunch of times in the NFL, not interested?" All Fisher would be expected to do there is go to a bowl game every other year or so.

I think there are better fits than Fisher for Vanderbilt (certainly cheaper fits), but that wouldn't be a bad hire for them at all. As others have said, Vandy really should consider hiring a triple option coach, IMO. I know I wouldn't want to face that every year.
Yes.

Vanderbilt needs to hire themselves another Rod Dowhower or Woody Widenhofer:D

Reactions: 05_never_again
We're talking 2-star recruits, not 5-star with offers from every top school in the country.
You are also talking about an old NFL coach with no remaining relevancy or name recognition in the current generation. He has been out of football for a significant amount of time relative to the generation being recruited, and he was irrelevant and unknown for much of the end of his coaching career.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
You are also talking about an old NFL coach with no remaining relevancy or name recognition in the current generation. He has been out of football for a significant amount of time relative to the generation being recruited, and he was irrelevant and unknown for much of the end of his coaching career.
People still know who he is, especially in and around Nashville. He's pretty far removed from NFL success, but the dude was still a longtime NFL coach and player.

17 year old kids don't know him.
17-year-old kids don't know who anybody is unless they had massive success within the last 2 years. He'd come into any conversation with an NFL pedigree, sell Nashville, and sell Vandy's academics. Would probably do a pretty good job of that. Again, he isn't going to be recruiting 5-stars with offers from Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio St.

There are better options, particularly because Fisher would likely command a huge price tag, but I think you're kind of shortsighted if you think the type of kids he'd try to recruit would just dismiss him.

Vandy needs a chrarcter at HC. Hate to say it but Leach would be a good fit. Atypical offense. Rebuilt WSU and TxTech....no easy chore
No way vandy puts up with leach. He's not a rah rah guy like Franklin. He's a pirates, space dances, and curse word guy.

17-year-old kids don't know who anybody is unless they had massive success within the last 2 years. He'd come into any conversation with an NFL pedigree, sell Nashville, and sell Vandy's academics. Would probably do a pretty good job of that. Again, he isn't going to be recruiting 5-stars with offers from Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio St.

There are better options, particularly because Fisher would likely command a huge price tag, but I think you're kind of shortsighted if you think the type of kids he'd try to recruit would just dismiss him.
Does he have any experience recruiting? I would imagine he would need a staff to do that. And what staff would he grab? no connection to the college game, would need to get someone established but established doesnt come to Vandy. And his Nashville connections arent geared towards recruiting. Big difference in knowing people and knowing the right people. Also big difference in Nashville and Vandy as far as what you are selling.

Reactions: SmokyRiverDog

He is Herm Edwards with no television exposure or personality, and those are the only two things making Edwards relevant at ASU.

If they're looking for unconventional, doesn't Rex Ryan still live in Nashville?

Sexy Rexy at Vanderbilt is about as unconventional as it gets

If they're looking for unconventional, doesn't Rex Ryan still live in Nashville?

Sexy Rexy at Vanderbilt is about as unconventional as it gets
If I were Vanderbilt I would try to hire(Not necessarily in this order)

Bill Clark UAB head football coach
Brian Bohannon Kennesaw State head football coach
Ken Niumatalolo Navy head football coach
Mike Houston East Carolina head football coach
Tom Allen Indiana head football coach

VN Store

Back