Jeff Brohm and Purdue finalized a new deal worth 36.8 million for seven years

It's a different sport, but it's another example of why Tennessee gave Barnes the huge raise. It's harder than ever for any school, even the top programs, to hire a new coach because all of the Power 5s are spending big dollars.

Exactly what I came to say.

Great win for them, I would compare to beating Georgia or LSU, great win but not against one of the tippy tops. Hard to believe how much he is getting there
Purdue is HUNGRY. I'm not surprised at all.

For a Big Ten team, it doesn't get much more tippy top than beating Ohio State.
True. but it also comes with the expectation to be consistent to some point. They have a great win, a good win, and a couple really bad losses. I would want to make sure we are beating the E. Michigan's and Minnesota's, that would suggest coaching is good and not just a fluke emotional day.
Their record is a crap shoot.

Lost to Northwestern (expected loss)
Lost to E. Michigan (really bad loss)
Lost to Missouri (expected loss)
Beat Boston College (decent win)
Beat Nebraska (decent win but it was while Nebraska was still on their skid and was winless at the time)
Beat Illinois (expected win)
Beat Ohio State (great win)
Lost to Michigan State (expected loss)
Beat Iowa (good win)
Lost to Minnesota (bad loss)
Lost to Wisconsin (expected loss)
Beat Indiana (expected win)
Lost to Auburn (expected loss but they were boat raced)

True. but it also comes with the expectation to be consistent to some point. They have a great win, a good win, and a couple really bad losses. I would want to make sure we are beating the E. Michigan's and Minnesota's, that would suggest coaching is good and not just a fluke emotional day.
Their record is a crap shoot.

Lost to Northwestern (expected loss)
Lost to E. Michigan (really bad loss)
Lost to Missouri (expected loss)
Beat Boston College (decent win)
Beat Nebraska (decent win but it was while Nebraska was still on their skid and was winless at the time)
Beat Illinois (expected win)
Beat Ohio State (great win)
Lost to Michigan State (expected loss)
Beat Iowa (good win)
Lost to Minnesota (bad loss)
Lost to Wisconsin (expected loss)
Beat Indiana (expected win)
Lost to Auburn (expected loss but they were boat raced)
Good post. The Ohio St win was such a good win that it has a tendency to overshadow and make people forget about multiple bad losses. Especially at a school like Purdue, where expectations aren't high to begin with.

Ultimately, as long as he makes bowl games he's fine. I suppose it is a little disconcerting that a fluke win over Ohio St was necessary to make a bowl last year (they would have been just a 5-win team without it).

Gotta understand just how bad Purdue football was before Brohm came to Purdue. They was right there with Kansas as the worst Power 5 team in the country. In 2 short years he has taken them to 2 bowl games, blew out #2 Ohio State and has a Heisman Trophy candidate and a Top 30 class coming in to WL. On top of this season tickets have tripled since he's arrived.

VN Store

Back