Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Any Owners?

Recently added a 2.5" lift, wheel spacers, and 34.5" tires (315/70), the biggest Discount Tire would install on my Willys rims. Bumper and winch next weekend...

Question: anyone do their own maintenance? The dealer tried to rape me today: quoted $750 for air filter and flushing/changing the differential and transfer case fluid! I ordered a K&N filter and some Royal Purple 75w90 and Mopar ATF4 off Amazon to do my own ($150). Looks pretty straightforward on YouTube.

Last edited:
Recently added a 2.5" lift, wheel spacers, and 34.5" tires (315/70), the biggest Discount Tire would install on my Willys rims. Bumper and winch next weekend...

Question: anyone do their own maintenance? The dealer tried to rape me today: quoted $750 for air filter and flushing/changing the differential and transfer case fluid! I ordered a K&N filter and some Royal Purple 75w90 and Mopar ATF4 off Amazon to do my own ($150). Looks pretty straightforward on YouTube.

Diff fluid is sure easy. I did it on the Miata in a half hour.

I have changed my own diff and transfer case fluid on my '97. I am not sure if its the same way on the new ones but on the TJ's you have to lower one side of the skid plate/belly pan to get to the transfer case. And even then you can make a mess sometimes. The diff fluids are simple and if they have a drain and fill plug its even easier. On the TJ's they only have a fill plug so you have to take the cover loose and then have to reseal it with RVT (which is not a big deal). If you have any car knowledge at all this should be pretty easy for you.

I have changed my own diff and transfer case fluid on my '97. I am not sure if its the same way on the new ones but on the TJ's you have to lower one side of the skid plate/belly pan to get to the transfer case. And even then you can make a mess sometimes. The diff fluids are simple and if they have a drain and fill plug its even easier. On the TJ's they only have a fill plug so you have to take the cover loose and then have to reseal it with RVT (which is not a big deal). If you have any car knowledge at all this should be pretty easy for you.

The diffs and transfer case both have drain and fill plugs. Looks easy with a bottle pump.

might as well, jump in and do a 2-3 inch lift when you do the front bumper/winch, and the tires

congrats on the lift and new wheels and tires

Smittybilt XRC Gen2 bumper arrived today, but I'm waiting until my winch arrives before installing.

I'll post pics once complete.

Realized I never posted a bumper/winch pic...

Attachments

• _20160305_145634.jpg
    _20160305_145634.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 1 person
Shocking. Once again I question the the attention to details of FCA, where the doors fall off the vehicle.

:)

I had hell getting them to "fall" off......it is an '08 and the guy I bought it from had never taken them off before......pins were rusted solid.....WD-40 is "da BOMB"

Have not decided if I like the chrome grill inserts.....what say you VN?

Attachments

• Jeep-04.jpg
    Jeep-04.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0

VN Store

Back