The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

I would love to see a single quote from a member of either staff saying they limited the pass game due to JG, his weaknesses, or what he could handle.

I'll be waiting on that link.
No you wouldn't. You would hate it. For MONTHS you argued that JG's reads and decision-making speed weren't significant problems. Lo and behold... my argument was confirmed in the O&W game by both Chaney through the announcers and Pruitt at the half. You still won't admit you were and are wrong.

I have way more than enough experience dealing with your cultic delusions to spend my time searching the last 3 years for quotes... that you won't believe any way.

LOL... so much for not responding to me... liar.

Last edited:
I would love to see a single quote from a member of either staff saying they limited the pass game due to JG, his weaknesses, or what he could handle.

I'll be waiting on that link.
Not that "logic" is your strong suit...

But I would point you AGAIN to JG's interview earlier in the year when he talked about his relationship with Chaney and the changes. HE SAID that Chaney was giving him more responsibility and coaching him to hit the hot reads.

So... what do we learn from the FACT that JG specifically mentions Chaney's expectation that he do those things?

Did the previous coaches not realize that him doing those things would help the O? Did they intentionally disallow him out of some desire to lose? Were they just so completely incompetent with their years of experience to recognize how necessary those things are to an offense?

There is one logical conclusion. He was not allowed to do it because they were not confident he could without making too many mistakes.

Obviously you are only gonna hear sunshine from almost every coach at every school. You honestly think a coach is going to come out and say some negative stuff like, "man JG is throwing all kinds of INTs in practice, he gotta get better fast" Hell they don't say that kind of stuff when they are throwing INTs in games that we see!!! So I take this with a grain of salt. I hope he is right.

So a coach says a player has improved and the response is "I'll believe it when I see it." So the coach is a liar and you will make that determination. You can't make this stuff up. Now, watch the defensiveness.
I think JG will have a big year, but I'd rather see a coaches similar opinion on how much improved our OL is going to be. That will have the biggest impact on how JG does this year. I personally think he'd have had a big year last year, if our OL could hold a pass block for longer than half a second. I do believe he's getting better, and "could" have a break out year. That being said, we have heard from these "lying coaches" before on improvements, only to not see it translate in the fall...so, I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. Cautiously optimistic...but, it is the off season.

Reactions: 08Vol
Obviously you are only gonna hear sunshine from almost every coach at every school. You honestly think a coach is going to come out and say some negative stuff like, "man JG is throwing all kinds of INTs in practice, he gotta get better fast" Hell they don't say that kind of stuff when they are throwing INTs in games that we see!!! So I take this with a grain of salt. I hope he is right.

And with this post, full of the reality that VN needs to hear, I am off the make my tee time.
Happy Memorial Day to ALL!!

Reactions: JettVol
Wow. Who wouldn't believe JG will ball out this year?!? When you have scientific stats like "big time throws" and manipulated adjusted completion %, the sky is the limit!!!

Some homers so desperate to not suck they will believe anything. JG is an accidental Pied Piper of mediocrity.
You trot out on the field and play behind that offensive line and see how you peform

I think JG will have a big year, but I'd rather see a coaches similar opinion on how much improved our OL is going to be. That will have the biggest impact on how JG does this year. I personally think he'd have had a big year last year, if our OL could hold a pass block for longer than half a second. I do believe he's getting better, and "could" have a break out year. That being said, we have heard from these "lying coaches" before on improvements, only to not see it translate in the fall...so, I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. Cautiously optimistic...but, it is the off season.

The offseason OL coach had no comment for reporters. All he did was publish a graphic of the progress. Not sure what to make of it.:oops:
shutterstock_274544324.jpg

Reactions: njvols
Nothing. He could have said nothing.

You and whoever else that needs to pump brakes.. pump'em. Im fine.
Please quote these "people" that need to "pump brakes" and "use common sense".

Hope you are right Mr Supreme Optimist. I've just been sold this type of product ONE too many times as Vol fan. Let's see him play well vs say, a BYU, before we start really getting our hopes up. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: 08Vol
You trot out on the field and play behind that offensive line and see how you peform
You trot out on the field and block for that QB and see how you perform.

Cuts as well one way as the other. It isn't easy blocking for a QB who can't do hot reads and takes all day to get the ball off. (Yes. I'm answering an untruthful exaggeration with an untruthful exaggeration)

Hope you are right Mr Supreme Optimist. I've just been sold this type of product ONE too many times as Vol fan. Let's see him play well vs say, a BYU, before we start really getting our hopes up. That's all I'm saying.

What makes me a "supreme optimist"? What did I say to earn that title?

Nothing is the answer. If you and others need to pump your brakes, use common sense and not get your hopes up because you've bought into all that crap before and it evidently damaged you in some way, I'm sorry, but I can handle it. I do every year.

Thanks for your concern though, I appreciate it.

From the 24/7 Article

Racioppi said he’s worked with Guarantano some this summer, too, and that he’s seen a different player from the one he worked with five months ago.

“I think, No. 1, his footwork’s definitely a little cleaner,” Racioppi said. “His throwing sequence is a lot cleaner. He’s doing a much better job of closing his shoulder when he’s stepping — which, you know, lets our hips be our main power source and lets our elbow get up so we’re more consistent and more accurate with the ball. And the second thing is, honestly, and I see this all the time with scholarship kids, they all have strong arms. That’s why they're scholarship kids. You know, Tennessee’s not gonna offer a kid that can’t throw the ball hard. But as they get older, they learn how to throw the ball, how to layer the ball over people, like second-level throws like digs and curls and deep over routes. It’s how to be a passer.

“A lot of times they go to college as throwers, and the ones that play and play well are the ones that develop into being passers, so they’re able to not just throw the ball hard and through windows, but they can get the ball over the top of people and throw the ball with touch and throw the ball to some spots and make the second- and third-level throws as accurate as those first-level throws and the ability to change the tempo of the footballs. I’ve seen that a ton.

"Like I said, he can throw with anybody, but it’s the ability to throw the ball kind of with a little touch and the ability to get the ball to people and leading people and throwing the ball to spots on time, he’s gotten much better at that.”

This is great and I really REALLY hope JG takes that next step this year but candidly, my concern is if our line can keep JG from playing off his back. Even so, the more Chaney can get JG connecting to spread the field, that should help take some pressure off the box. I think JG wasnt rated #1 in the country for no reason and hopefully now that he has been under some good coaching, it is going to show out. We arent exactly WRU anymore but we will have some good targets for him this year. I have confidence that Chaney's play design and deep knowledge of SEC play, will pay benefits this year.

The same things were said about JG last year as well by his off season QB trainer. I’m not downing the kid I hope he does great this year. I hope the line can support him as well.

If the line is doing their job and JG isn’t I expect changes to be made, hopefully our staff if faced with the decision are able to make it.

Reactions: 08Vol and sjt18

VN Store

Back