The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

What are they basing their ratings on?
This was brought from the article by another poster. Not my answer, just what they said.

On every play, a PFF analyst will grade each player on a scale of -2 to +2 according to what he did on the play.

Screenshot-4601.png

PERFORMANCE VS PRODUCTION
We aren’t grading players based on the yardage they rack up or the stats they collect. Statistics can be indicative of performance but don’t tell the whole story and can often lie badly. Quarterbacks can throw the ball straight to defenders but if the ball is dropped, you won't see it on the stat sheet
Conversely, they can dump the ball off on a sequence of screen passes and end up with a gaudy looking stat line if those skill position players do enough work after the catch.

PFF grades the play, not its result, so the quarterback that throws the ball to defenders will be downgraded whether the defender catches the ball to notch the interception on the stat sheet or not. No amount of broken tackles and yards after the catch from a bubble screen will earn a quarterback a better grade, even though his passing stats may be getting padded.

Time for the JG haters to go ballistic.

Advanced stats consistently show JG is much better than people realize and the O-line was much worse. It's why all the pipe dreams of a miracle QB who overtakes JG for the job are just that. JG has many things he needs to work on to become an elite QB, but he was one of our best players last season.

And sure, JG needs to make "quicker decisions", but the reason you think this is because he's constantly under pressure in a very short amount of time. No one would think that if he had Georgia or Bama's O-line. It's not even really the best criticism of JG. IMO, where JG struggles most is throwing on the run; he consistently underestimates how far the ball is going to fly when he throws on the run.

But overall, JG is the least of our problems. Fix the O-line. Fix the D-line. Add depth. Keep recruiting well. Develop players. Then we'll win. Unfortunately, I think we're probably at least a year away on the lines.

Last edited:
Time for the JG haters to go ballistic.

Advanced stats consistently show JG is much better than people realize and the O-line was much worse. It's why all the pipe dreams of a miracle QB who overtakes JG for the job are just that. JG has many things he needs to work on to become an elite QB, but he was one of our best players last season.

And sure, JG needs to make "quicker decisions", but the reason you think this is because he's constantly under pressure in a very short amount of time. No one would think that if he had Georgia or Bama's O-line. It's not even really the best criticism of JG. IMO, where JG struggles most is throwing on the run. That's what he needs to work on the most, because he consistently underestimates how far the ball is going to fly when he throws on the run.

But overall, JG is the least of our problems. Fix the O-line. Fix the D-line. Add depth. Keep recruiting well. Develop players. Then we'll win. Unfortunately, I think we're probably at least a year away on the lines.

Good post, and I agree with you. If you fix the issues on the LOS then Every position will look better. If our OL can just keep from wiffing on blocks then that would go along way.

I'd be questionable of any methodology that puts JG or Joe Burrow in the top 5 of the conference, but both of them in the top 5 is truly comical.
I think Burrow is a bigger stretch. I don't see JG as the 2nd best QB in the SEC, but at least he was mid pack in QBR last year.

Reactions: BanditVol
I think Burrow is a bigger stretch. I don't see JG as the 2nd best QB in the SEC, but at least he was mid pack in QBR last year.

Burrow managed 16 passing TDs last year, with 4 of those coming in the bowl game against UCF. Burrow's saving grace is that he can make plays with his legs and had 7 rushing TDs to compliment his paltry 12 regular season passing TDs.

From a passing production standpoint, if your goal as a passer is to effectively move the offense and score points, neither of them are in the same realm as Tua, Fromm, and Mond.

To show up on list like that with THAT offensive line could mean that we have Joe Montana 2.0 on campus.

Reactions: Devo182
That's it, that's all you've got? LoL

It's all in the tape. If you think JG is the 2nd best QB in the SEC then get your head checked.

Let's see what JG does when he actually has to pass the ball more than once every three plays.

For someone that has done absolutely nothing as a player, JG sure has a lot of fan boys.

I can only imagine what certain posters are saying in response to this rating. Thankfully, I don't actually have to read it. ;)

Hehe, what do these guys possibly know? They also rate our 2 CBs pretty high as well. We'll see how it goes but all of you that love to eat crow are going to get plenty this year!
Tennessee is on the edge of becomming a good football team. It is likely to be improved this year and will be fighting for th SEC East by the end of next year or 2021.

VN Store

Back