The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

Just as a point of reference Drew Lock was drafted in the second round. His completion % was 62.9 last year. JGs was 62.2%. Locks's YPA was 8.0 and JGs was 7.8. Is either stat really that significantly different statistically? No they arent. Was Lock known for screen passes and dinking and dunking? No he wasnt.

So those who want to claim that JG made his stats with mostly short passes need to at least come to the table with actual facts. Not, oh you need to watch the film. Because those who have watched the film, have provided the actual stats.
Classic example of stats not telling the whole story. Looking at those stats, on the surface, one might think JG and DL are comparable QBs, but that's far from true..

Just as a point of reference Drew Lock was drafted in the second round. His completion % was 62.9 last year. JGs was 62.2%. Locks's YPA was 8.0 and JGs was 7.8. Is either stat really that significantly different statistically? No they arent. Was Lock known for screen passes and dinking and dunking? No he wasnt.

So those who want to claim that JG made his stats with mostly short passes need to at least come to the table with actual facts. Not, oh you need to watch the film. Because those who have watched the film, have provided the actual stats.

Drew Lock was a 4-year starter who threw for 3500 yards, had 28 passing TDs, and 6 rushing TDs, and had more completions than JG even had attempts in 2018.

You're deluding yourself if you believe his completion percentage was the deciding factor in why he was drafted in the 2nd round, or if you are insinuating that JG's current body of work would garner a similar draft pick.

Classic example of stats not telling the whole story. Looking at those stats, on the surface, one might think JG and DL are comparable QBs, but that's far from true..
Who knows? JG has a long way to go, but in two years, they might look like similar prospects. JG's sophomore QBR is actually higher than Drew Lock's was.

Reactions: NomadVol and m1al
Who knows? JG has a long way to go, but in two years, they might look like similar prospects. JG's sophomore QBR is actually higher than Drew Lock's was.
I truly hope so. I like JG and want him to succeed.

Drew Lock was a 4-year starter who threw for 3500 yards, had 28 passing TDs, and 6 rushing TDs, and had more completions than JG even had attempts in 2018.

You're deluding yourself if you believe his completion percentage was the deciding factor in why he was drafted in the 2nd round, or if you are insinuating that JG's current body of work would garner a similar draft pick.

So answer this, was Lock known as a guy who threw screen passes and dink and dunk? I never said his completion % was the deciding factor. But it was one. As was his YPA. Which was not significantly more than JGs.

The point is the stats clearly prove JG didn’t throw short passes all the time like some want to believe.

So answer this, was Lock known as a guy who threw screen passes and dink and dunk? I never said his completion % was the deciding factor. But it was one. As was his YPA. Which was not significantly more than JGs.

The point is the stats clearly prove JG didn’t throw short passes all the time like some want to believe.

I think he's known as a good quarterback who carried Missouri's offense with less-than-stellar talent surrounding him. In their loss to Georgia, one of his lowest rated games, Lock had passes of 6, 25, 7, 8, 9, 5, 2, 4, 8, 7, 14, 12, 12, 14, 16, 11, 16, 11, 10, 12 yards. He only had one pass above 10 yards in the first half, and after coming out in the second half, every completed pass was 10 yards or more. Is that 'dinking and dunking' in the first half or is that Missouri making halftime adjustments due to to Georgia's defense having Lock's number in the first half?

For contrast in JG's highest rated game against a conference opponent, South Carolina, he had passes of 5, -1, 6, 5, 6, 5, 5, 1, 4, 4, 16, 12, 12, 6, 6, 11, 20, 6, 9, 16, 3, 15, 11, 8, 8, 7, 4, 12 yards.

You compared him to Lock going in the second rd so just checking.....of course he will never be drafted in the second round

I wouldn't say it's impossible for him to get drafted, Chaney could work his magic, he could have a banner year. Unfortunately, the 2020 draft is going to have some good QBs in it: Tua, Jake Fromm, Jalen Hurts, Jacob Eason, Justin Herbert, and it's very possible that 1-2 of those even don't get taken until the 2nd round.

Reactions: tbh
Too many ignorant posters to reply to them all.

If you are claiming he dinked and dunked or threw short passes you are wrong. If he dinked and dunked I guess Peyton, Ainge, Clausen, and Bray did too. None of you have a clue or you are pushing an agenda.

JG sophomore 2018 7.8 ypa 8.2 ayp

Top ten UT passers in seasons with at least 100 attempts.

Peyton
Fr -7.9 7.6
Sph -7.8 8.5
Jr -8.7 8.3
Sr -8.0 8.5

Casey Clausen
Fr -7.6 7.7
Sph -8.4 8.5
Jr -7.4 7.1
Sr- 7.2 7.5

Erik Ainge
Fr -7.3 7.0
Sph- 5.1 3.6
Jr- 8.6 8.5
Sr- 6.8 7.1

Tyler Bray
Fr- 8.3 7.9
Sph- 8.0 8.3
Jr -8.0 8.3

Josh Dobbs
Fr- 5.7 3.8
Sph -6.8 6.3
Jr- 6.7 6.9
Sr- 8.3 8.3

Andy Kelly
Sph- 8.3 6.6
Jr- 7.4 6.2
Sr- 7.6 6.6

Jeff Francis
Sph- 8.4 8.0
Jr -7.5 6.5
Sr- 7.1 6.4

Tee Martin
Jr -8.1 8.5
Sr- 7.6 7.1

Jonathan Crompton
Jr -5.3 4.5
Sr- 7.3 7.2

Heath Shuler
Sph -7.6 7.7
Jr -8.3 8.8

Other seasons with 100 passes in the last 20 years.
Justin Worley
Jr- 6.3 5.5
Sr- 6.3 5.8

Rick Clausen
Jr -7.0 6.5
Sr -6.9 6.2

Matt Simms
Jr -7.5 7.2
Sr -5.1 3.0

Quinten Dormady
Jr- 6.8 5.7

Nick Stephens
Sph -6.5 6.0

AJ Suggs
Fr- 5.6 5.4

Time for a new made up complaint.

I wouldn't say it's impossible for him to get drafted, Chaney could work his magic, he could have a banner year. Unfortunately, the 2020 draft is going to have some good QBs in it: Tua, Jake Fromm, Jalen Hurts, Jacob Eason, Justin Herbert, and it's very possible that 1-2 of those even don't get taken until the 2nd round.
I agree that its not impossible. But I would bet $100 to a donut that its not in the 2nd round

Too many ignorant posters to reply to them all.

If you are claiming he dinked and dunked or threw short passes you are wrong. If he dinked and dunked I guess Peyton, Ainge, Clausen, and Bray did too. None of you have a clue or you are pushing an agenda.

JG sophomore 2018 7.8 ypa 8.2 ayp

Top ten UT passers in seasons with at least 100 attempts.

Peyton
Fr -7.9 7.6
Sph -7.8 8.5
Jr -8.7 8.3
Sr -8.0 8.5

Casey Clausen
Fr -7.6 7.7
Sph -8.4 8.5
Jr -7.4 7.1
Sr- 7.2 7.5

Erik Ainge
Fr -7.3 7.0
Sph- 5.1 3.6
Jr- 8.6 8.5
Sr- 6.8 7.1

Tyler Bray
Fr- 8.3 7.9
Sph- 8.0 8.3
Jr -8.0 8.3

Josh Dobbs
Fr- 5.7 3.8
Sph -6.8 6.3
Jr- 6.7 6.9
Sr- 8.3 8.3

Andy Kelly
Sph- 8.3 6.6
Jr- 7.4 6.2
Sr- 7.6 6.6

Jeff Francis
Sph- 8.4 8.0
Jr -7.5 6.5
Sr- 7.1 6.4

Tee Martin
Jr -8.1 8.5
Sr- 7.6 7.1

Jonathan Crompton
Jr -5.3 4.5
Sr- 7.3 7.2

Heath Shuler
Sph -7.6 7.7
Jr -8.3 8.8

Other seasons with 100 passes in the last 20 years.
Justin Worley
Jr- 6.3 5.5
Sr- 6.3 5.8

Rick Clausen
Jr -7.0 6.5
Sr -6.9 6.2

Matt Simms
Jr -7.5 7.2
Sr -5.1 3.0

Quinten Dormady
Jr- 6.8 5.7

Nick Stephens
Sph -6.5 6.0

AJ Suggs
Fr- 5.6 5.4

Time for a new made up complaint.
While your at it, throw in all of the above passers: number of completions, number of touchdowns and total passing yards and you will see that he does not compare to them lol

You compared him to Lock going in the second rd so just checking.....of course he will never be drafted in the second round

I compared a couple of stats because someone erroneously stated JG threw mostly short passes. Oh and btw you don’t know if JG will get drafted in the second round. You are just using your keyboard coaching skill to make an assumption.

Reactions: k-town_king
Classic example of just intentional blindness.
At this point in time, Lock is the better QB. It's not something I particularly enjoy saying. Actually SEEING them play tells me this. You should try it rather than BLINDLY making judgements based off stats alone...

Reactions: ProudVOLfan
Guarantano only recorded two games with 200+ passing yards last season, he completed 50% of his passes in all but two of the 12 games he played last season. He attempted less passes than any starter with at least 100 attempts, and he only passed for more yards than three starters.

To be precise, JG's average pass completion was 12.5 yards, which completely dismantles the argument that he only throws short passes.

This isn't out of line with other SEC QBs, mind you, but seems like the criticisms here mostly rely upon "observations" of things that aren't actually happening.

The "JG proves that stats lie" argument that some are making is funny because it's technically correct, but in the totally opposite way than they intend for it to be. JG's stats tend to understate his performance, due to the weak O-line. Hence, "advanced stats" that tend to show JG performing better than people realized.

Last edited:
Some stat help please:

Line up on our 20. 7 step drop. Throw ball to flat at the 15 (is this a completion, yes), runner goes for 15 yards to the 30. How is this scored? Is this a 15 yard completion? a 10 yard completion? Is this 15 YAC? I am simply asking with no agenda whatsoever.

I thought this was scored as a 10 yd completion with 10 yd YAC.

Some stat help please:

Line up on our 20. 7 step drop. Throw ball to flat at the 15 (is this a completion, yes), runner goes for 15 yards to the 30. How is this scored? Is this a 15 yard completion? a 10 yard completion? Is this 15 YAC? I am simply asking with no agenda whatsoever.

I thought this was scored as a 10 yd completion with 10 yd YAC.

10 yard completion.

If the receiver was tackled immediately, it would be -5 yard completion.

VN Store

Back