January. Tennessee vs. Connecticut.

A post from Boneyard:

"I agree..theTenn game is huge..beat them and a lost to SC won't matter Uconn should win the rest of their games and get a #1 seed"

A post from Boneyard:

"I agree..theTenn game is huge..beat them and a lost to SC won't matter Uconn should win the rest of their games and get a #1 seed"
Uconn does not have the depth to beat SC imo, but it is certainly possible up there. The UT atmosphere for gameday is going to be crazy tomorrow night, and the Husky starting 5 will have to log 35 minutes plus each, I would think UT has an advantage if they can keep rolling fresh bodies in there all game, the LV players will be pumped on adrenalin. My chief concern is that I don’t see good matchups guarding Edwards or Juhasz. Strip/Franklin/Holl combos need to really step up defensively in the post. KH surely has a game plan to try and get one of the two bigs in foul trouble. I am confident SC’s game plan will be to go hard at those two in the first half and draw fouls on them.

Hartford is not Storrs. This is why no game should be played at the Hartford Civic Center. You lose the on-campus feel. You lose the on campus students. You lose the essence of the University of Connecticut, all for an extra few seats. There is no comparison between the atmosphere of the two buildings. It would be like Duke playing at the Greensboro Coliseum, instead of Cameron, nine times a year because the facility is larger. It’s just not the same.
No disagreement with that. Why they would choose to play somewhere other than on campus is perplexing in spite of a few more seats.

Uconn does not have the depth to beat SC imo, but it is certainly possible up there. The UT atmosphere for gameday is going to be crazy tomorrow night, and the Husky starting 5 will have to log 35 minutes plus each, I would think UT has an advantage if they can keep rolling fresh bodies in there all game, the LV players will be pumped on adrenalin. My chief concern is that I don’t see good matchups guarding Edwards or Juhasz. Strip/Franklin/Holl combos need to really step up defensively in the post. KH surely has a game plan to try and get one of the two bigs in foul trouble. I am confident SC’s game plan will be to go hard at those two in the first half and draw fouls on them.

Edwards and Juhasz are going to be a bad matchup. This is the sort of game where not having Key really hurts them. Those two in the paint and Griffin driving to the basket at will without having to worry about a rim protector will probably give them a huge edge in points in the paint. If one of them gets in foul trouble, they have Patterson who can contribute right away and Deberry who can at least take up space. I think the weakness is Lopez Senechal. Not a great defender and if she's not scoring, she's not doing much else. Plus they have no one on the bench to replace. Go right at her and try to get her in foul trouble.

Yeah, SC is a very bad matchup for UConn. They were banking on Bueckers and Fudd counter balancing the huge advantage SC will have in the post. As it stands, SC will have matchup advantages all over the lineup.

Edwards and Juhasz are going to be a bad matchup. This is the sort of game where not having Key really hurts them. Those two in the paint and Griffin driving to the basket at will without having to worry about a rim protector will probably give them a huge edge in points in the paint. If one of them gets in foul trouble, they have Patterson who can contribute right away and Deberry who can at least take up space. I think the weakness is Lopez Senechal. Not a great defender and if she's not scoring, she's not doing much else. Plus they have no one on the bench to replace. Go right at her and try to get her in foul trouble.

Yeah, SC is a very bad matchup for UConn. They were banking on Bueckers and Fudd counter balancing the huge advantage SC will have in the post. As it stands, SC will have matchup advantages all over the lineup.
I'm totally bummed, hardly even want to go to the game. I will of course, bc my game buddy is over the moon about it. But it sounds like we have almost no chance to win this game. And that the bottom is about to fall out of the season. It's not just the overall tone on the board, but alot about how we played Sunday.

Fun as Sunday was, gutty and exciting as the comeback was, we still cannot reliably guard. Not one on one, God knows not 3 pt shooters. Then I saw LSU play again, then "depleted" UConn crushed everyone. Not encouraging.

My big hope is that we'll somehow outscore UConn, as KJH said after Missouri, just somehow leave here with a couple of more points than they have.

We HAVE to at least make this close. With this kind of stage, getting curbstomped at home will reinforce why poll voters and recruits don't trust us. We have to take that next step.

Can't wait to see LSU vs SC.

I'm totally bummed, hardly even want to go to the game. I will of course, bc my game buddy is over the moon about it. But it sounds like we have almost no chance to win this game. And that the bottom is about to fall out of the season. It's not just the overall tone on the board, but alot about how we played Sunday.

Fun as Sunday was, gutty and exciting as the comeback was, we still cannot reliably guard. Not one on one, God knows not 3 pt shooters. Then I saw LSU play again, then "depleted" UConn crushed everyone. Not encouraging.

My big hope is that we'll somehow outscore UConn, as KJH said after Missouri, just somehow leave here with a couple of more points than they have.

We HAVE to at least make this close. With this kind of stage, getting curbstomped at home will reinforce why poll voters and recruits don't trust us. We have to take that next step.

I'm assuming Horston will be back. If she played on Sunday, it's unlikely that Tennessee would have needed some help from Mizzou at the end to pull out the win.

I think Tennessee can win if they can use their depth to get the UConn starters in foul trouble. If not, I envision that Jackson/Horston will get their points but at a lower rate of efficiency. But unless multiple other players step up and can provide multiple scoring options, then I don't like their chances.

I would say the Parker dunk has the same feeling on this end. The game was virtually over and she dunked in front of our fans. There was no need for that, and that moment is why most UConn fans don't like or respect Parker.

The game was "virtually over" at the start of the second half? Nothing like revisionist history...

Seems a bit petty on unconn fans' part, but that's fine.

TN fans have had multiple non-basketball-related reasons not to like or respect Auriemma since the mid-90's.
Yes, all die hard fans can be petty, case in point the LV fans that hate Diana for punching the orange stantion. Everything is magnified when these two teams meet.

I'm assuming Horston will be back..
Probably so, she did that little promo video and sounded routine stuffed up, but most likely able to play. Possibly RJ starts and JH comes off bench? BC heaven forbid we play our best players from the get go to get off to good start.

I'm sure KJH will play it close to the vest like always and we won't know for sure about Jordan until the lineups go up.

I'm assuming Horston will be back. If she played on Sunday, it's unlikely that Tennessee would have needed some help from Mizzou at the end to pull out the win.

I think Tennessee can win if they can use their depth to get the UConn starters in foul trouble. If not, I envision that Jackson/Horston will get their points but at a lower rate of efficiency. But unless multiple other players step up and can provide multiple scoring options, then I don't like their chances.
Puckett and Darby really need to have good shooting this game. I bet Franklin plays a big role on the defensive end, she will be needed. Is Holl ready for the moment? Can’t wait for this game.

I just hope the team has soaked up the scouting report and practiced accordingly to take away the favorite spots where their opponents like to set up down low and to know and react to the tendencies of the guards...favortite shooting spots, use of screens, rolling to basket, back door cuts, drifting out to corners, etc. Just good positioning and not getting caught looking and giving up easy layups is essential. If they shoot lights out while guarded well, at least make them work for the shot.

And make them work on defense. Don't let them rest. Keep moving and force them to expend energy.

I just hope the team has soaked up the scouting report and practiced accordingly to take away the favorite spots where their opponents like to set up down low and to know and react to the tendencies of the guards...favortite shooting spots, use of screens, rolling to basket, back door cuts, drifting out to corners, etc. Just good positioning and not getting caught looking and giving up easy layups is essential. If they shoot lights out while guarded well, at least make them work for the shot.

And make them work on defense. Don't let them rest. Keep moving and force them to expend energy.
Creek, do you think the LV’s strategy will be to try and run a fast paced offense to wear down Uconn or be more half court style?

Reactions: chuckiepoo

That Missouri game is the exact and only reason why I’m nervous about this game. Those wide open 3s Missouri couldn’t hit in the first half, will be hit by UCONN! I hope they are dialed in defensively or it could get ugly quick!

2007. The game where Candace dunked on their homecourt.
Yep…have tried like hell to not relive that moment. Parker owned us. Our hardest loss against the LVs perhaps ever. A while ago and Pat was at the top of the mountain.
Wondering (not flaming) what Tennessee fans think is their toughest loss against UConn ?

Puckett and Darby really need to have good shooting this game. I bet Franklin plays a big role on the defensive end, she will be needed. Is Holl ready for the moment? Can’t wait for this game.
Those two for sure. But I don't know if they both would be on the court at the same time as Horston/Jackson. I think UConn gambles on single coverage for Jackson/Horston so they don't give up open threes, and any outside shots need to be created, not the catch and shoot variety.

Yep…have tried like hell to not relive that moment. Parker owned us. Our hardest loss against the LVs perhaps ever. A while ago and Pat was at the top of the mountain.
Wondering (not flaming) what Tennessee fans think is their toughest loss against UConn ?
I can answer this one for myself. The two during the 2002-2003 season. Regular season when Taurasi launched a 3 footer from 3-ft behind the arc (with Tasha Butts standing in front of her with arms straight up) to send it to overtime in a game they ended up winning. And then the NC game where UConn won a close game ending Lawson and Gwen Jackson's college careers. Usually, the better team won (or in the case of 2000-2001, they were practically evenly matched). But this season, Tennessee had a way better team. UConn had Taurasi an a bunch of freshmen and role players. But they just played clutch when they needed to.

I can answer this one for myself. The two during the 2002-2003 season. Regular season when Taurasi launched a 3 footer from 3-ft behind the arc (with Tasha Butts standing in front of her with arms straight up) to send it to overtime in a game they ended up winning. And then the NC game where UConn won a close game ending Lawson and Gwen Jackson's college careers. Usually, the better team won (or in the case of 2000-2001, they were practically evenly matched). But this season, Tennessee had a way better team. UConn had Taurasi an a bunch of freshmen and role players. But they just played clutch when they needed to.
Great memories. Dee was special .

Great memories. Dee was special .
Taurasi is the only UConn player I detest. And I'm 100% fine with admitting it's just because she played for UConn and carried them in games vs. Tennessee where they had no business winning. If she played for Tennessee, she'd be up there on my all time favorites list.

That Missouri game is the exact and only reason why I’m nervous about this game. Those wide open 3s Missouri couldn’t hit in the first half, will be hit by UCONN! I hope they are dialed in defensively or it could get ugly quick!
Don't be too sure, our 3 best shooters are on the bench.

I would be willing to bet that their next coach will be a former player. Geno has turned out some excellent players and one of them will take over program just like UT has done with Holly and Kelly. Would not be surprised if he picked the coach to succeed him. He has built the program not going to let just anyone have it.

Maybe the UCONN AD will have enough sense to get the best possible coach for their players; and not be anchored to a former UCONN player as the next coach. Hopefully, the UCONN AD will hire a proven successful coach, like the LSU and Texas ADs did. The UCONN players deserve the best possible, just as did the TN players.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reVOLver
Maybe the

Maybe the UCONN AD will have enough sense to get the best possible coach for their players; and not be anchored to a former UCONN player as the next coach. Hopefully, the UCONN AD will hire a proven successful coach, like the LSU and Texas ADs did. The UCONN players deserve the best possible, just as did the TN players.
I never understood the whole “keep it in the family” thing many schools do in several sports. Geeze, you would think an AD would go for the very best possible coach each and every time regardless of their alma mater.

I never understood the whole “keep it in the family” thing many schools do in several sports. Geeze, you would think an AD would go for the very best possible coach each and every time regardless of their alma mater.
When Holly was hired, did the school do a search or did they just give the job to Holly? My point is, what great coach would give up their present position to go to Tennessee and follow PAT? Same with Geno, who would want to follow him at UConn? It didn't turn out well at North Carolina with Dean Smith, or at UCLA with John Wooden. It's easier to hire someone familiar with the program and not having a long search that can turn costly.

VN Store

Back