Jamey Chadwell (Coastal Carolina)

See, here's what people don't realize. EVERYONE is a risk. All a risk means is that there is less than 100% certainty it will work out. And there is absolutely no one that I would say is a "sure thing" this cycle.

Freeze has not impressed me. Chadwell doesn't have the SEC experience I'd like a coach to have. Campbell isn't coming here. Napier apparently wants a ton of control that I'm not sure the new AD would give him. Tony Elliott has only been a coordinator, just like Pruitt.

There's just no one that is a "sure thing," so anyone we take is going to have some risk.

So, things that lessen that risk? SEC experience. Head coaching experience. Solid recruiting with southern ties. No history with the NCAA. A winner and developer of talent. Oh, and the guy should actually want to be here.

All of those things are hard to hard to find in one person. If you say Kiffin, then you run into history with the NCAA. Same with Freeze and Chadwell. Bill Clark at UAB has done a great job, but again, no SEC head coaching experience, or even coordinator experience.

I'm just not sure which direction UT goes, but I am sure of 2 things:
1) A portion of the fan base won't like it.
2) There's going to be some level of risk involved. Outside of Saban or Meyer, there are no sure things, and they ain't coming here.

See, here's what people don't realize. EVERYONE is a risk. All a risk means is that there is less than 100% certainty it will work out. And there is absolutely no one that I would say is a "sure thing" this cycle.

Freeze has not impressed me. Chadwell doesn't have the SEC experience I'd like a coach to have. Campbell isn't coming here. Napier apparently wants a ton of control that I'm not sure the new AD would give him. Tony Elliott has only been a coordinator, just like Pruitt.

There's just no one that is a "sure thing," so anyone we take is going to have some risk.

So, things that lessen that risk? SEC experience. Head coaching experience. Solid recruiting with southern ties. No history with the NCAA. A winner and developer of talent. Oh, and the guy should actually want to be here.

All of those things are hard to hard to find in one person. If you say Kiffin, then you run into history with the NCAA. Same with Freeze and Chadwell. Bill Clark at UAB has done a great job, but again, no SEC head coaching experience, or even coordinator experience.

I'm just not sure which direction UT goes, but I am sure of 2 things:
1) A portion of the fan base won't like it.
2) There's going to be some level of risk involved. Outside of Saban or Meyer, there are no sure things, and they ain't coming here.

That’s why it’s Gus or Bust. Unless I’m mistaken, his programs have been relatively clean. His DC is already here. Knows how to win In the SEC and has beaten Saban (something our last several coaches have been unable to do).

That’s why it’s Gus or Bust. Unless I’m mistaken, his programs have been relatively clean. His DC is already here. Knows how to win In the SEC and has beaten Saban (something our last several coaches have been unable to do).

Are you ok with Auburn being our ceiling for the next decade? The Auburn that lost to Jeremy Pruitt. Haven’t we already hired a coach that lost to the guy we just fired?

Auburn clean???? You cannot be serious. Also with Steele on staff there is ZERO chance Gus comes here.

Some reports(rumors) out there of Steele having a role jn Malzahn’s firing. That could be a problem if true.

Reactions: Border Vol
Are you ok with Auburn being our ceiling for the next decade? The Auburn that lost to Jeremy Pruitt. Haven’t we already hired a coach that lost to the guy we just fired?
The post I replied to was about level of risk in Potential hires. I think he’s about the lowest risk guy out there. His teams beat Bama 3 times... NCG appearance, averaged 8.5 wins per year. Solid recruiter... Is it a Saban-esque resume? No, but given the dumpster fire we’ve had for almost 15 years now, I’d take that all day long and twice on Sunday.

But see, that's where I don't think it has to be "for the next decade." I think we just have to think about how to get back to a place where we are routinely competing for the East, and I do believe that Gus would be one who could get us there. We are not going to find a coach who routinely takes us to the playoffs like Saban or Swinney. Unless we just get lucky and land a huge surprise of a coach, it won't happen. But we can hire a guy who can get us back to a level of constant competition in the East, and therefore the SEC.

I'm not saying that Gus should be the guy, but Gus at least can bring a level of credibility to us, and a level of stability. Which is what we need more than anything is roster development and to get through whatever sanctions we are going to end up with.

Reactions: Carlitovol
I know he hasnt had SEC caliber positions, but definitely had a great HC career so far, he has turned around bad programs, hes an East Tennessee boy (Caryville) and grew up loving the Vols.
If they are gonna “take a chance” again, he would be about as good of a hire as anyone on this level!
Charleston Southern coach Jamey Chadwell: From the farm to the football field
Great leader and really knows the new styles of football.
Always coaches exciting teams.

Has connections all over the south.

From wiki, with all its faults:
(Edit to add: he didn’t get a show cause. They blamed everything on the absence of a compliance staff. So he didn’t realize that there wasn’t a compliance staff, and he didn’t know that any of this stuff was going on? Gimme a break.)
Sounds like the NCAA made a mountain out of a mole hill. Could’ve been a honest mistake by Chadwell

I think Chadwell is a great coach; but do we truly believe he’s ready for the “big” show that is the SEC and the University of Tennessee?

None of us can truly relate to being a P5 coach; but we all know the SEC as well as UT is a pressure cooker once you check that box to become a coach at a major program.

Reactions: tbwhhs
I like alot of things about Chadwell, but he hasn't been in the big ring and that is at least a concern. But at some point everybody gets into that ring for the first time. Could he be the next real good coach? It is certainly possible and we could hire worse. He sure looks like he could be one of the next good ones, but I want us to look at others as well. Tom Herman is another one, just because it did not work at Texas he has had success before. And he was winning more than he was losing even at Texas. Herman,Chadwell,Napier should all get interviews and all are realistic hires. There is also others that I would reach out too at least privately if I was involved in the hiring process. All they can say is no and we don't need to leave a stone unturned especially if our administration and ath departments and boosters are getting on the same page finally or at least trying to. GBO!

I think Chadwell is a great coach; but do we truly believe he’s ready for the “big” show that is the SEC and the University of Tennessee?

None of us can truly relate to being a P5 coach; but we all know the SEC as well as UT is a pressure cooker once you check that box to become a coach at a major program.
BIG SHOW!? 🤣 you mean S&@t show dont you?

Reactions: VOL-TIL-I-DIE
I believe Tennessee should go after Jamey Chadwell of Coastal Carolina. Good, young coach from the local area, would be a good role modal for the players.
If Covid does not happen he is not up for discussion. Although a good year, his team would have been exposed by homecoming games.

Great leader and really knows the new styles of football.
Always coaches exciting teams.

Has connections all over the south.

I think Chadwell and Napier will get a long look by the new AD and decision-makers when the time comes. I'd also expect a phone call to Fickell to gauge his potential interest.

Go Vols.

Reactions: LittleVol
If Covid does not happen he is not up for discussion. Although a good year, his team would have been exposed by homecoming games.

I respectfully disagree. Their revised schedule wasn't much different than their original schedule. They would have started with South Carolina - and as bad Carolina was in 2020 - Coastal may have beaten TWO Power 5 teams in Carolina and Kansas. They would have beaten Tennessee by 10 points if they would have played. Chadwell IMO would be the most realistic best hire that Tennessee could make and someone who can get the fanbase behind him in a hurry. He'd recruit lights out at the beginning and hopefully he could coach well enough to keep that momentum going.

The only thing he needs would be to surround himself with experienced assistants with plenty of SEC experience. He'd have that in guys like Steele, Garner, and Jay Graham right off the bat. Let him bring in a few of his assistants from Coastal but have the majority of assistants made up of seasoned SEC coaches who know the ropes in the league.

VN Store

Back