Jamey Chadwell (Coastal Carolina)

Tennessee needs to go after Jamey Chadwell. I keep seeing people say things like “go hire a proven winner” and “these up and comers like Chadwell will never work.”

In reality, NO PROVEN COACH with any brain cells would walk into this dumpster fire right now. Why would they?
NCAA Investigations, haven’t won the East since 2007, haven’t won the SEC since 98, haven’t won 10 games in over a decade, have to play against Fla, UGA, and Bama every year, players transferring left and right...
Again— why would ANYONE that is good want to come here?
And yes, I know, Freeze and Kiffin are likely the only two proven winners that would accept the job.
The problem is, Tennessee won’t hire them. We all know that.

So the only thing Tennessee can do is settle. It’s where we’re at. No truly “proven” coach is going to come to Knoxville right now and take this job. Chadwell is the best you will get in my opinion.

He’s a Tennessee guy, he runs a good offense, he’s young, and went 11-1 at Coastal Carolina this past year. He wasn’t my first choice, but at this point, he might be close to the only choice we have.
He has too much baggage for Tennessee to risk it hiring him at this point.

Reactions: Vollifer1949
I could live with him being the head coach here...He is a VOL and bleeds orange....He might be our diamond in the rough and as I have said before I love his style of offense...Would be exciting to see him recruit some SEC speed to go with it and watch it flourish....Very unique.
We already have 3 Qbs that can operate his offense. Bailey can too, but it would be more pass oriented.
The two backs sets that he likes to incorporate can also work well with what will be on the roster.
But he just may bring his QB McCall.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
Caldwell just won the AP, Eddie Robinson and Walter Camp Coach of the Year Awards.

He has won everywhere. He is dynamic.

It's been said that the Administration wants a coach who will be here for years, a decade.

This is our guy.

“The jobs that I have taken over have been rebuilds. I had to go in there and really try to completely change the mindset and a culture.” — Jamey Chadwell

Last edited:
Tennessee needs to go after Jamey Chadwell. I keep seeing people say things like “go hire a proven winner” and “these up and comers like Chadwell will never work.”

In reality, NO PROVEN COACH with any brain cells would walk into this dumpster fire right now. Why would they?
NCAA Investigations, haven’t won the East since 2007, haven’t won the SEC since 98, haven’t won 10 games in over a decade, have to play against Fla, UGA, and Bama every year, players transferring left and right...
Again— why would ANYONE that is good want to come here?
And yes, I know, Freeze and Kiffin are likely the only two proven winners that would accept the job.
The problem is, Tennessee won’t hire them. We all know that.

So the only thing Tennessee can do is settle. It’s where we’re at. No truly “proven” coach is going to come to Knoxville right now and take this job. Chadwell is the best you will get in my opinion.

He’s a Tennessee guy, he runs a good offense, he’s young, and went 11-1 at Coastal Carolina this past year. He wasn’t my first choice, but at this point, he might be close to the only choice we have.

Chadwell is the best realistic option that we have. I agree with you, but let's take a look at the list to just emphasize the point.

Gus Malzahn - He is a safe hire, and who knows, he might take the job. He just as easily would say that he wants nothing of this insane situation. Does he still want the pressure of having to beat Saban every year - likely twice at UT to win an SEC title - and the insane pressures of UT's fanbase and media? His offense has also been figured out, and his waffling with respect to offensive playcalling and the lack of QB development would get old incredibly fast. Also, with Kevin Steele on staff right now, there is absolutely a chance that he says thanks but no thanks, because whether you choose to believe it or not, the smoke around them having bad blood after the firing indicates that there is at least some fire there.

Luke Fickell - He's a Midwest guy that has Cincinnati rolling. He has no southeast connections, and all logic would indicate he is waiting for a BIG10 job.

Tom Herman - He just got fired from a job where he won at a decent clip. He is sitting on a mountain of cash and should know that if he comes here and fails his career is over. Why would he not sit for a year and then take a less problematic job when it opens? Oh, and why would he come to this pressure cooker to rebuild his image?

Lane Kiffin - He will never get hired here by our butthurt boosters.

Hugh Freeze - Randy Boyd essentially said he need not apply. If people think Chadwell has baggage, then Freeze is the CEO of Samsonite.

Billy Napier - He turned down Auburn because they didn't meet his requirements for a job. He is extremely picky. His Louisiana squad is the second most talented in the SunBelt, and he is set up to just bide his time until LSU opens up and he can step right into a good situation.

Kevin Steele - This is a trainwreck waiting to happen. He's already demonstrating that he cannot keep the players here that we don't want to leave. Did you see the transfer portal two days after his big team meeting? Oh, and his past record will really energize the fanbase, you know, when he went 9-36 at Baylor. I realize that the program there was in shambles when he took over...what are we?

Pat Fitzgerald - Has he ever coached in the South? Why would he leave Northwestern where he has virtually zero expectations to come here? He is another Midwestern guy that they are never going to even call.

Matt Campbell - He has an enormous buyout, oh and he has banked so much goodwill at Iowa State that I see virtually zero reason that he would take this job. He's also another Midwestern guy that isn't going to take this job.

Josh Heupel - Why would he be a better candidate than Chadwell? He took over a goliath program, and hasn't replicated the success of the guy that left for Nebraska. Oh, and he also isn't a Power 5 proven winner. He's won less with better talent than Chadwell.

I don't understand why this is so hard. Do we want our Admin to go out and get turned down by 4-5 coaches again like they always do, or would it be a better decision to go out and hire the National Coach of the Year, who has won three conference titles at his last two jobs, has rebuilt programs, runs an exciting offensive system, and would ABSOLUTELY accept the job as soon as it's offered? This is the most Tennessee thing of all time.

Reactions: LittleVol
Chadwell is the guy, make it so.

Chadwell beat Napier with a considerably less talented team. It was a toss up game but Coastal won.
Chadwell beat THE BEST BYU team in over 30 years...
He went toe to toe with a very similar Coach in Hugh Freeze and lost by 3 in double OVERTIME.
And Freeze had the talent advantage...

Chadwell has as good a football mind as anyone we can beg to hire.

Thereś all kinds of videos on Chadwell and his teams and coaches if people want to get a feel about what UT would be buying.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Chadwell beat Napier with a considerably less talented team. It was a toss up game but Coastal won.
He went toe to toe with a very similar Coach in Hugh Freeze and lost by 3 in double OVERTIME.

Thereś all kinds of videos on Chadwell and his teams and coaches if people want to get a feel about what UT would be buying.

He's the obvious choice, and I'm sure they won't do it, because our administration has been the biggest impediment to Tennessee's success for over a decade.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

I genuinely like the guy..He speaks well and is very intelligent plus he is a great offensive minded coach..I'm on board.

South Carolina resident, part time Vol fan here (sorry my #1 team is an FCS one) but Chadwell is gonna be big time. Hes won big in SC at D2, FCS and FBS level. Univ. of South Carolina could have hired him but like the morons they are they passed.

Vols....hes a hometown guy. Get him before Va Tech does in a couple years

South Carolina resident, part time Vol fan here (sorry my #1 team is an FCS one) but Chadwell is gonna be big time. Hes won big in SC at D2, FCS and FBS level. Univ. of South Carolina could have hired him but like the morons they are they passed.

Vols....hes a hometown guy. Get him before Va Tech does in a couple years
They passed because he wanted to bring his whole staff.

For anyone wondering....the NCAA
stuff was this:
- Some players used book money on headphones
- They played a couple ineligible players in blowouts who were ineligible due to technicalities, CSU is a tiny school w a tiny compliance staff, but yes its their own fault, hire more staff
- They beat The Citadel (city rival) 4x in a row and someone got pissed and called the NCAA. Charleston is a small town

Coastal was in the Big South, knew the NCAA stuff was overblown and hired Chadwell (they also had been losing to CSU)

That NCAA stuff he had at CSU was overblown nonsense. Thats why Coastal hired him, they were in the Big South w them and knew the scoop and knew it wasnt a big deal

32 players got suspended. Chadwell and an assistant got suspended for recruiting violations. The school had to forfeit 18 wins over 2 years. This NCAA just released the findings in 2018. That's recent and just not likely going to get him a job here where we are firing a coach with cause for potential NCAA violations.

Reactions: Thorp32
32 players got suspended. Chadwell and an assistant got suspended for recruiting violations. The school had to forfeit 18 wins over 2 years. This NCAA just released the findings in 2018. That's recent and just not likely going to get him a job here where we are firing a coach with cause for potential NCAA violations.
He should still at least be interviewed

He's the obvious choice, and I'm sure they won't do it, because our administration has been the biggest impediment to Tennessee's success for over a decade.
Luckily there's a strong pool of coaching talent available right now

Elliot being one of them.
And all the other names too. But Harrison Bailey would get development if Elliot is hired.

Agree. Boyd told the fans in plain and simple terms that a coach with compliance issues would not be hired. Chadwell is a non-starter. We hired one of the best ADs in the nation. White has a perfect record on hiring coaches. Relax folks and let him do his job. White is a coach whisperer.

Reactions: VolArmy74
Yeah but why not? His staff has been with him along most of his stops and won big

USC loses a lot for a reason haha
Same story when w hired Butch. He brought his old staff which he claimed to be the best in America. We see what happened then. Hopefully, we learned some during our last 4 hires and firings.

Same story when w hired Butch. He brought his old staff which he claimed to be the best in America. We see what happened then. Hopefully, we learned some during our last 4 hires and firings.
Ironically, it was when Jones fired someone from his old staff (S&C coach Dave Lawson) that we started playing like garbage. That first season after Lawson was fired, we looked soft and slow.

VN Store

Back