Jamey Chadwell and Tony Elliott

Who Would You Rather

• Chadwell - HC, no P5 experience

Votes: 184 81.4%
  • Elliott - natty winning coordinator

Votes: 42 18.6%

• Total voters

DocVol

If it came down to these two, would you rather have a national championship winning, successful coordinator at a P5 school, or a current HC at a smaller school, successful recently but unproven in a P5?

Not even close. Chadwell.

This job needs a guy who has done it before and done it well. Let Elliot go prove himself as a HC somewhere, not here.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I would prefer Chadwell just bc of his head coaching experience but I would be happy with either hire honestly. I’m afraid we’re not gonna get either but we’ll see.

I’d be down with either.

One has HC experience. He has proven he can build at several programs and several levels.

One has no HC experience; however he has a good offensive mind. He has proven he can thrive in a big situation and at a big time level (although not in a HC capacity).

Chadwell has a different O strategy. This could be beneficial at Tennessee......while they don’t have the talent as Bama, Georgia, ect. However it “could” take a minute for that system to get up and working well.

Elliot has been at the same place for 10 years. He has been doing the same job for over 6 years. He has proven what he can do with “his” recruits. However no one knows what he can do with much less talent.

Neither has “big time” HC experience, however one’s a proven builder and one has a ton of upside.

White has a proven track record of finding the “right” talent for the “right” situation.

Elliott!

You can say that Chadwell "has done it before," but he absolutely has not. He's been the head coach of a team, but he's never been a part of a major program, and I think it would take a long time for him to know how to handle things. He might be an ideal candidate for a job like Wake Forest. At Tennessee, we want a guy that knows how to compete on a big-boy level. Someone that knows how to get his team to the playoff. Tony Elliott might not be that guy, but I think he's closer to being on his way than Chadwell. He's called plays for Clemson since 2015. We saw how important he was to that team when they lost to an inferior OSU team.
Again, TE might not work out, I just think if we're swinging for the fence, he's a better bet than a guy who has had one winning season in the Sun Belt.

Reactions: VOLAlum04
Has Joe Brady’s name been mentioned. He’s making $1million a year at Carolina Panthers. Might be able to get him.
Joe Brady will be a head coach in the NFL by this time next year. He just interviewed for four jobs after one season on a losing team.

Reactions: RhodesVol
Joe Brady will be a head coach in the NFL by this time next year. He just interviewed for four jobs after one season on a losing team.

For the life of me, I cannot think of why his name is so hot. The Chief's OC has a much better resume.

Elliott!

You can say that Chadwell "has done it before," but he absolutely has not. He's been the head coach of a team, but he's never been a part of a major program, and I think it would take a long time for him to know how to handle things. He might be an ideal candidate for a job like Wake Forest. At Tennessee, we want a guy that knows how to compete on a big-boy level. Someone that knows how to get his team to the playoff. Tony Elliott might not be that guy, but I think he's closer to being on his way than Chadwell. He's called plays for Clemson since 2015. We saw how important he was to that team when they lost to an inferior OSU team.
Again, TE might not work out, I just think if we're swinging for the fence, he's a better bet than a guy who has had one winning season in the Sun Belt.

Is he bringing Watson or Lawrence with him? 5 star playmakers?

Give me the guy who has done more with less.

For the life of me, I cannot think of why his name is so hot. The Chief's OC has a much better resume.

I think people suspect that Bienemy doesn't call the plays. They say he does, but Andy Reid has always had a good offense, so it's easy to make that conspiratorial claim.

Chadwell, but it's a close contest IMO.

Chadwell's track record as a Head Coach is good, but short. He basically looks like Dave Doeren in 2012 (who has turned out to be mediocre at NC State). Chadwell, like Doeren just has 1 great season at the FBS level. He did pretty good at Charleston Southern, as well, but he has no P5 experience, and it's difficult to know how his talents would translate in the SEC. We have no idea if he can recruit at this level or how his system will work or adapt in the SEC. He could be a home run. He could flop. He could be Dave Doeren.

Feel like Elliot is actually the lower-risk hire of the two. We know he's had success as the OC at Clemson. He can recruit at a high level. He knows what it takes to win at the P5 level. What we don't know is how well he can be the "CEO" of UT football, which is not the easiest job. Dabo has handled the most difficult aspects at Clemson; Elliot will have to start over from scratch sorta like Dabo in 2008. We also have no clue what Elliot's "ceiling" is; maybe he's a good "CEO", but he's just a guy who can't get over 8-9 wins.

I'd be happy with either hire. Neither are sure things, but given our current situation, both would be good hires. And I think both at least have the potential to be great here. But I favor Chadwell just slightly due to his HC experience.

And I'd take either over Sonny Dykes.

Elliott!

What actual evidence do you present that Elliott has done a single thing to display his organizational skills to be a HC at a big school. For his own benefit he should go to a Group of 5 school and learn how to run a program and then aspire to a big school. There is tons of hype surrounding his name especially here in the upstate, but I'm not impressed with his resume. Anyway, sounds like he has cooled on his interest. Dont know that for sure, but he may have

VN Store

Back