James Franklin (Penn St)

I know James Franklin has been mentioned several times over the years. I haven't seen him mentioned in several months. I hope the mods don't merge this thread. I believe it is different from anything posted in a long time.

It looks like CPJ is gone. UT needs to pay James Franklin's 5 million dollar buy out and $7 million a year to bring him back to the SEC. They man
moved mountains at Vandy. Many of his losses at Vandy to SEC were by 2 TDs or less. Yes, there were a few blowouts. But, the man lead Vandy to a lot of quality SEC wins with mainly 2-3 star players playing. Vandy went 5-3 and 4-4 his last two years of SEC PLAY playing in mainly hostile environments where home games aren't even home games 80% of the time. Yes, Franklin lead VU to 5-3 in only his second year with much less talent than other SEC teams!!! UT has only had two 5-3 seasons the last 13 years and hasn't went 6-2 in the SEC since 2007!!! Even the great Kiffin that so many of you want didn't go 5-3 his lone year at UT. Yes, the roster was sort of bare when Kiffin arrived. Do you think it was less talented than Franklin's in only his second year at Vandy???

You give Franklin a roster full of 4-5 star recruits playing in front of 75,000 to 95,000 of UT fans and watch UT kick some tail!!! Franklin also landed a lot of top recruits at Vandy his last two years. FRANKLIN is a PROVEN SEC COACH and PROVEN SEC RECRUITER with NO BAGGAGE and a 5 million buyout, possibly 4 million now that it is 2021!!!

James Franklin's new contract details released

James Franklin (American football coach) - Wikipedia

Look at his team's RESULTS at Vandy with much less talent than his opponents! As I said, the guy moved mountains. Think about what he could do with 4-5 star roster in front of 75,000-90,000 HOME CROWD with PROVEN OC like Chaney and a PROVEN DC like Bob Shoop or some other TOP NOTCH PROVEN DC!!! It is definitely a recipe for success in the SEC!!!!!

2011 Vanderbilt Commodores football team - Wikipedia

2012 Vanderbilt Commodores football team - Wikipedia

2013 Vanderbilt Commodores football team - Wikipedia

Look at how Vandy in recruiting before and during Franklin's time there:

(51st) YEAR BEFORE Franklin, 2010 Football Team Rankings

(49th) 1st year, 2011 Football Team Rankings

(46th) 2nd yr, 2012 Football Team Rankings

(26th) 3rd yr, 2013 Football Team Rankings

Franklin improved recuiting by 5 spots his first two years and 25 spots his last full year of recruiting. What do you think he could do at UT? If he only improved UT 5 spots over what UT is now and DEVELOPED and COACHED UP the players at UT like he did at VU and has at PSU, UT would probably be a JUGGERNAUT!!!
Franklin's buyout is NOW in the $32 million dollar range.

Just delete your post........ Okay?

State College, PA - Penn State Football: Sandy Barbour's Guarantee to James Franklin -

4-5 with loss to one ranked team (OSU). Other losses are IU, Maryland, Neb, and Iowa. Certainly better over last four games but not sure that makes him the guy here.

Reactions: Border Vol
Didn't he have some questionable dealings with his football players that raped someone? As in advising them to not talk/cooperate with the police? I may be remembering wrong, but there was something about him involving that situation.
He tried to cover up the rapes that those players at Vanderbilt committed and conveniently took the job at Penn State to get away from it.

I’m not saying he’s a good or bad coach but I don’t like the guy and I know it has everything to do with him coaching Vandy. I never worried about playing Vanderbilt until he came along.

I didn't say he would. I said he is probably the best candidate out there that ISN'T A PIPE DREAM. Well, maybe he is. But, I think he is much less of a pipe dream than Freeze, Meyer, Stoops, and probably a few more. Plus, Fickle, Campbell, and MANY OTHERS MENTIONED haven't proved ANYTHING IN THE SEC, FRANKLIN HAS!!!

Hey I’d sure take him over what Tennessee has had over the past decade or so.

However Tennessee is “probably” going to have to look “smaller”........as far as “current” head coaches go.

I also do not think Freeze is a “pipe dream”......it’s just probably not going to happen given the situation right now at Tennessee.

Reactions: 89 VOLS grad
Life support sucks, may be no better than the alternative
Recycling of Souls

But what proven coach with a good job would come into this mess? If Franklin, Freeze, Herman, or Gus shows interest, I say hire them before they come to their senses.

UT is a sh1tshow and that's what we know from the outside looking in. Imagine how bad it is behind the curtain.

We can't afford to take another chance on a low level/high risk hire and have him flame out in 3 years.

All 4 of those names have proven that they can manage a large program, handle the spotlight and the scrutiny, and win an occasional bug game.

Gus beat Saban
Herman beat #6 Georgia in the sugar bowl
Freeze beat Saban
Franklin beat #2 Ohio State

They may not take us to the national championship. but they could make us competitive, which is something we haven't been in a long, long time.

I would say the floor for these coaches are realistically 7-3 to 8-4 every year consistently, with a chance of catching fire and competing for the conference.

If we could just achieve that for 5 or 6 years, then maybe one of the "super " coaches would come.

Stability would make me happy.

You do some ACTUAL RESEARCH FOR AN HOUR and post ONE that is MORE PROVEN than Franklin as a successful winner and recruiter that is or was at a Power 5 school besides pipe dreams like FREEZE, MEYER, and STOOPS before bashing someone that put a lot of time into an IDEAL CANDIDATE. Fickle, Campbell, and MANY OTHER very successful coaches in the Power 5 HAVEN'T DONE IT IN THE SEC!!! THE SEC is A BEAST FROM and WILL EAT UP AND SPIT OUT the BEST BEST COACHES. ONLY THE TOP 5% STAY IN THE SEC FOR MORE THAN 4-5 YEARS!!! Franklin would still be doing well and taking his team to bowls every year had he stayed! That is saying something for a Vandy coach in the SEC!!!!

I might ne able to get on board if your posts didn't look like a Friends era scrap book.

But what proven coach with a good job would come into this mess? If Franklin, Freeze, Herman, or Gus shows interest, I say hire them before they come to their senses.

UT is a sh1tshow and that's what we know from the outside looking in. Imagine how bad it is behind the curtain.

We can't afford to take another chance on a low level/high risk hire and have him flame out in 3 years.

All 4 of those names have proven that they can manage a large program, handle the spotlight and the scrutiny, and win an occasional bug game.

Gus beat Saban
Freeze beat Saban

They may not take us to the national championship. but they could make us competitive, which is something we haven't been in a long, long time.

I would say the floor for these coaches are realistically 7-3 to 8-4 every year consistently, with a chance of catching fire and competing for the conference.

If we could just achieve that for 5 or 6 years, then maybe one of the "super " coaches would come.

I certainly feel your pain..... I don’t know about the future of Tennessee football?
I just don’t!

Gus beat Saban
Freeze beat Saban

Amen

I certainly feel your pain..... I don’t know about the future of Tennessee football?
I just don’t!

I don't either. And I'm not qualified to make these decisions. All I can do is try to apply some common sense.

Stop the bleeding
Stabilize
Then build

That's how I see it.

Reactions: onevol74
If we didn’t want Schiano because of his past history we don’t want Franklin.
This is what I was going to look for. I agree with that sentiment for people who were truly anti Schiano for the Sandusky scandal. However I feel a large portion of the fan base much of the vocal part hid behind those allegations as why they didn't want him. But rather didn't want because of thinking we are Tennessee and could do better. I for one was not happy about that rape incident at Vanderbilt and how it was handled. But that being said if Penn State with their track record and all that was on the line for them to make that gamble took him. He has not crossed any lines like that Vandy incident. So if he was willing to take this job I would accept him.

However I think he loves the white outs at Penn State and has a great recruiting base up there. He doesnt need to risk coming down here. He would Gundy us and get himself a raise and stay with the Nittany Lions.

Last edited:
I know James Franklin has been mentioned several times over the years. I haven't seen him mentioned in several months. I hope the mods don't merge this thread. I believe it is different from anything posted in a long time.

It looks like CPJ is gone. UT needs to pay James Franklin's 5 million dollar buy out and $7 million a year to bring him back to the SEC. They man
moved mountains at Vandy. Many of his losses at Vandy to SEC were by 2 TDs or less. Yes, there were a few blowouts. But, the man lead Vandy to a lot of quality SEC wins with mainly 2-3 star players playing. Vandy went 5-3 and 4-4 his last two years of SEC PLAY playing in mainly hostile environments where home games aren't even home games 80% of the time. Yes, Franklin lead VU to 5-3 in only his second year with much less talent than other SEC teams!!! UT has only had two 5-3 seasons the last 13 years and hasn't went 6-2 in the SEC since 2007!!! Even the great Kiffin that so many of you want didn't go 5-3 his lone year at UT. Yes, the roster was sort of bare when Kiffin arrived. Do you think it was less talented than Franklin's in only his second year at Vandy???

You give Franklin a roster full of 4-5 star recruits playing in front of 75,000 to 95,000 of UT fans and watch UT kick some tail!!! Franklin also landed a lot of top recruits at Vandy his last two years. FRANKLIN is a PROVEN SEC COACH and PROVEN SEC RECRUITER with NO BAGGAGE and a 5 million buyout, possibly 4 million now that it is 2021!!!

James Franklin's new contract details released

James Franklin (American football coach) - Wikipedia

Look at his team's RESULTS at Vandy with much less talent than his opponents! As I said, the guy moved mountains. Think about what he could do with 4-5 star roster in front of 75,000-90,000 HOME CROWD with PROVEN OC like Chaney and a PROVEN DC like Bob Shoop or some other TOP NOTCH PROVEN DC!!! It is definitely a recipe for success in the SEC!!!!!

2011 Vanderbilt Commodores football team - Wikipedia

2012 Vanderbilt Commodores football team - Wikipedia

2013 Vanderbilt Commodores football team - Wikipedia

Look at how Vandy in recruiting before and during Franklin's time there:

(51st) YEAR BEFORE Franklin, 2010 Football Team Rankings

(49th) 1st year, 2011 Football Team Rankings

(46th) 2nd yr, 2012 Football Team Rankings

(26th) 3rd yr, 2013 Football Team Rankings

Franklin improved recuiting by 5 spots his first two years and 25 spots his last full year of recruiting. What do you think he could do at UT? If he only improved UT 5 spots over what UT is now and DEVELOPED and COACHED UP the players at UT like he did at VU and has at PSU, UT would probably be a JUGGERNAUT!!!
HELL NO

VN Store

Back