James Banks Enrolls At Franklin College

Volsaholic

It's a Division III School, he has the talent to play in the NFL if he gets his head together. I wish he was able to play at UT, but it was his own fault

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/foot...anks.future.ap/

FRANKLIN, Ind. (AP) -- Former Tennessee football player James Banks, Indiana's 2001 Mr. Football, has enrolled in a small college to concentrate on academics in the coming months after he was dismissed from the Volunteers and admitted smoking marijuana.

Banks does not intend to play football at Franklin College, an NCAA Division III school just south of Indianapolis. He hopes to improve his academic standing before to transferring to another school in the fall, his father said.

"I don't know what is going to happen next," James Banks Sr. said. "But I hope now that everything is going in the right direction."

Banks, Tennessee's leading receiver during the 2003 season, was suspended three times in 2 1/2 years with the Volunteers before coach Phillip Fulmer dismissed Banks in December.

Banks later told The Tennessean of Nashville that he smoked marijuana after his knee surgery last year and deliberately submitted a diluted drug test sample before he was thrown off the team.

If Banks transfers to an NCAA Division I-A or I-AA program, he would have just one season of eligibility remaining. If he plays at an NCAA Division II or III or NAIA school, he could have two years of eligibility.

"That's the dilemma," Banks Sr. said. "Ultimately, it's James' decision. As parents, we will try to make sure he has all the information to make the best choice."

Originally posted by Volsaholic@Mar 10, 2005 1:53 PM
It's a Division III School, he has the talent to play in the NFL if he gets his head together. I wish he was able to play at UT, but it was his own fault

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/foot...anks.future.ap/

FRANKLIN, Ind. (AP) -- Former Tennessee football player James Banks, Indiana's 2001 Mr. Football, has enrolled in a small college to concentrate on academics in the coming months after he was dismissed from the Volunteers and admitted smoking marijuana.

Banks does not intend to play football at Franklin College, an NCAA Division III school just south of Indianapolis. He hopes to improve his academic standing before to transferring to another school in the fall, his father said.

"I don't know what is going to happen next," James Banks Sr. said. "But I hope now that everything is going in the right direction."

Banks, Tennessee's leading receiver during the 2003 season, was suspended three times in 2 1/2 years with the Volunteers before coach Phillip Fulmer dismissed Banks in December.

Banks later told The Tennessean of Nashville that he smoked marijuana after his knee surgery last year and deliberately submitted a diluted drug test sample before he was thrown off the team.

If Banks transfers to an NCAA Division I-A or I-AA program, he would have just one season of eligibility remaining. If he plays at an NCAA Division II or III or NAIA school, he could have two years of eligibility.

"That's the dilemma," Banks Sr. said. "Ultimately, it's James' decision. As parents, we will try to make sure he has all the information to make the best choice."

Cmon James, get it together. You have what it takes.

VN Store

Back