Jalen Hurd drafted by the Niners

Hurd was average to below average at TN. Thats it. The numbers reinforce that.

Still ended his 3 seasons as 6th in all time rushing at UT, 40 yards behind Jamal Lewis; interesting definition of 'average' you have.

He doesn't get some slack because of the terrible oline that saw him take contact 2+ yards behind the LOS on most plays?

He QUIT on the team.
I was at that SC game, when he wouldn't go back in the game, and who ever the frosh was that went in and fumbled, pretty much gave that game away. Always thought better and classy move would have been to either finish the season and transfer, or make the transition in the off season. Had to have been a real toxic situation w/ Hurd and CBJ/team/staff. That being said, for Hurd, it suited him to have the year off to train to the new position. The mismanagement of Jones never stops giving us heartburn...especially all the preseason stuff w/ Williams and Hurd now showing out.

revisionist drivel of the worst sort.

Hurd's numbers speak for themselves---as do the films.....
Just take a look at '15 Florida and '15 Bama games......if you still think he's average I can't help you.

You put Hurd behind a line like we had in '89 or '98 and he sets the UT single season rushing record.

The die was cast at the UGA game his junior year when he showboated & high stepped and got blown up by a dawg defender before scoring on what should have been an easy touchdown. He humiliated himself and was never the same afterwards. He was ready to go and pretty much the team was ready for him to go.

No, there aren’t extremists on both sides, only one.

One side says he’s not great but he was much better last year than the naysayers say he was, and they provide statistics to back it up.

The other side, the extremists, say he sucks, can’t read a defense, can’t set protections, can’t read a blitz, can’t lead his receivers, holds the ball too long and can’t lead Tennessee to a win as its quarterback.

Haha, you're as wrong today as you were the last time you respond to that same comment back in May.

Reactions: midtnvol2
The die was cast at the UGA game his junior year when he showboated & high stepped and got blown up by a dawg defender before scoring on what should have been an easy touchdown. He humiliated himself and was never the same afterwards. He was ready to go and pretty much the team was ready for him to go.

Pretty sure he sustained a concussion on that play. He also thought he didn’t have anyone near him.

Reactions: FïreBall

Not taking up for Hurd but he simply slowed up. He didn't account for the person on the outside. It was the exact same play he scored on vs. UF but to the other side. And the play he scored on in the 3rd quarter was a thing of beauty.

Again, he should've ran through the goal line but I don't think he showboated, just slowed up:

Edit: This was in the 3rd quarter and a pretty play, at that!

Last edited:
And yet would've had the UT all-time rushing record in 3 full seasons.
giphy.gif

Did you notice the hit he took away from the ball against SC? He got his bell rung again like against Ga and that could be why he didn’t go back in.

Wasn’t the SC game the one that Dobbs said he had been up late studying?

As I said in another thread about Hurd. The whole thing was like a bad marriage that ended abruptly between him and Butch. They both acted childishly and stubborn and then you add that element of the carnival sideshow of Hurd’s family on Facebook, call in radio shows , Mom getting arrested at the UF game (wtf?), talking about Kamara after the fact and it’s not a good look. You throw in how things at least looked during and after the UGA and South Carolina games and it doesn’t look good. I may be wrong about this, but I don’t remember many teammates sticking up for JH after he left or since then either. To me, his issues were equal to or outweighed the positives he brought to the team and I do think he was a good, but not great player.

Don’t forget the whole situation during the A&M game where butch said he was suspended or something. Then Hurd got angry butch lied about him and said he had a concussion and couldn’t fly to College Station. But butch had actually played him during that time if I remember correctly.

Hurd deserves more credit than what he gets. He helped us win games and unfortunately, he quit. But the same people that get angry about him quitting, get angry about BJ being a piece of trash.

Hurd definitely was a tough runner and he fought pretty well for his yards.

However, he didn't have that second gear. Also, he got popped a good bit in the backfield, so it's hard to say if he would've been a superstar on a different team.

Reactions: pimo1
However, he didn't have that second gear. Also, he got popped a good bit in the backfield, so it's hard to say if he would've been a superstar on a different team.

I feel like it was a similar situation with Croom from fit standpoint. Almost everyone on here was saying move him to TE. Please move him, that’s where his future is. And now he’s playing TE for The Bills. 🤔

Still ended his 3 seasons as 6th in all time rushing at UT, 40 yards behind Jamal Lewis; interesting definition of 'average' you have.

He doesn't get some slack because of the terrible oline that saw him take contact 2+ yards behind the LOS on most plays?

Nope, only matters with JG. Ask KB.

Reactions: OL SMOKEY

I mostly agree, except I'd modify this to say "Hurd was average as an RB at TN."

On a per carry basis, there are a least a dozen UT RBs since the 90s who were better than Hurd. This decade, you could arguably put guys like John Kelly, Rajion Neal, and Marlin Lane above Hurd. Hurd was only on track to set the UT rushing record due to sheer volume. However, this is more of a testament to Butch's incompetence on offensive strategy than anything.

But Hurd was always very good catching the football at UT and would've been better utilized as a WR. Naturally, this is where his major disagreement came with Butch. While Hurd may have left things the "wrong way", ultimately he was right to be angry at Butch for botching his development and not using him at WR.

It's particularly baffling when you consider we had one of the greatest RBs in UT history on our roster in 2015 and 16 with Alvin Kamara. Why continue to inefficiently pound the ball with Hurd, when you one of the most dynamic playmakers in college football as your 2nd string RB?

The one area of RB where I think you could say Hurd was above-average was as a "short-yardage back". Hurd was almost guaranateed to pick up a few yards in those situations, but Butch's insistence on using him as an "every down back" was a problem. He was a WR who could be used as a situational RB.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH

VN Store

Back