Jalen Hurd drafted by the Niners

Don't know about the Heisman, but my thought he would likely end up at tight end at the pro level. His hard hitting running ability, blocking, and speed level fit nicely at the pro TE spot. I think to slow and not quick enough for pro wide out.

He's going to line up with his hand in the dirt against an NFL DE at 230 lbs? I predict that won't end well.

He's not even close to the size of the prototypical NFL TE. They are looking guys 6'5"-6'6" and 265+ that can run and catch. And, they're out there.

I think he did mature some, but the biggest advantage was having a head coach and a staff that wasn't lying to him and manipulating him from day one. Botch screwed up and ran off a lot of kids in his tenure all for the sake of him trying to control everyone and everything. Botch was the MAIN CANCER in the UT program.
Certainly there were some issues there but JH really didn't handle the adversity well at all. I agree with you. I think he did mature a lot and hopefully it'll pay off for him in the long run.

He's going to line up with his hand in the dirt against an NFL DE at 230 lbs? I predict that won't end well.

He's not even close to the size of the prototypical NFL TE. They are looking guys 6'5"-6'6" and 265+ that can run and catch. And, they're out there.
Sorry!! I thought he has carried 240-250 before.

I ran into JH a few times in college. He was an arrogant kid. I'd say even more arrogant than TB. However, I don't think he deserves the hate he received and wish him well. I heard from a player that Butch would like constantly and consistently for no apparent reason. With that said, I can only imagine what lies Butch told JH. He had every right to leave and shape his future.

In looking up longest runs Hurd's longest were bested at least once (only their longest runs shown so doesn't preclude other runs being longer than Hurd's best) by other RB's every year he was here.
2014- Hurd's best 43, Marlin Lane 44.
2015- Hurd 48, Kamara 63
2016- Hurd 28, JK 73, AK 39

Also realize Hurd got the lion's share of carries over this period.

Now....who were those runs against?

I know Hurd's 43 yarder came against OK.....who was Lane's against?
Who was JK's 73 yarder against? AK's 39 yarder?

I do realize that Hurd got the lion's share of carries---but do you realize what that means?
It means that he took the lion's share of BEATINGS from those defenses as he ran behind that less than awesome OL we had.
And yes, it also means that he had more opportunities.

Kamara started one year against Bama and didn't even survive the first half before being knocked out of the game by a Bama DB who blasted his legs along the sideline.
Hurd took those blows all the time and stayed in the game and kept playing.

Go back and watch Hurd's performance in the 2015 game against Fla--and his 2015 Bama game--HE flat out was in BEAST MODE. And don't forget the Bowl game against NW that year.
He may not have broken any 40+ yard runs against those teams---but just how many RBs in the SEC did that year?

Ultimately, the point that I'm trying to make is that CBJ and crew had 3 stud RBs on the roster and couldn't find a way to utilize them in order to produce Ws!
Each RB had his good and bad points---i.e., both John Kelly and Alvin Kamara FUMBLED away scoring opportunities against aTm in 2016--HURD fumbled away a score against UGA that could've cost us the game.

Not many on here are willing to acknowledge Hurd's GREAT talent at RB because he quit the team after the USCe game.
And many on here use that bad decision as license to say that both AK and JK were better RBs in college than Hurd.
And I just don't believe that the game tapes of UT games affirm that opinion. Hurd did enough in his 3 years at RB to show he had elite talent in the SEC at the position.

These same folks fail to acknowledge that AK quit BAMA--and made the most of his 2nd chance with us at UT.
Why can't you guys give the same allowances for Hurd?

And we also know that CBJ FAILED MISERABLY to get AK on the field and the ball into his hands while he was here.
AK could've and SHOULD'VE gotten the ball more as both a runner and pass-catcher from the RB and slot-receiver position.

AK is gettin' his props now in the NFL....and we'll see how HURD performs in the NFL.

I expect HURD to show up in many highlight reels--and then the only question that will be asked is "Why couldn't CBJ win with all that talent at UT?"

I do realize that Hurd got the lion's share of carries---but do you realize what that means?
It means that he took the lion's share of BEATINGS from those defenses as he ran behind that less than awesome OL we had.

Kamara started one year against Bama and didn't even survive the first half before being knocked out of the game by a Bama DB who blasted his legs along the sideline.

Go back and watch Hurd's performance in the 2015 game against Fla--and his 2015 Bama game--HE flat out was in BEAST MODE. And don't forget the Bowl game against NW that year.
He may not have broken any 40+ yard runs against those teams---but just how many RBs in the SEC did that year?

Ultimately, the point that I'm trying to make is that CBJ and crew had 3 stud RBs on the roster and couldn't find a way to utilize them in order to produce Ws!
Each RB had his good and bad points---i.e., both John Kelly and Alvin Kamara FUMBLED away scoring opportunities against aTm in 2016--HURD fumbled away a score against UGA that could've cost us the game.

Not many on here are willing to acknowledge Hurd's GREAT talent at RB because he quit the team after the USCe game.
And many on here use that bad decision as license to say that both AK and JK were better RBs in college than Hurd.
And I just don't believe that the game tapes of UT games affirm that opinion. Hurd did enough in his 3 years at RB to show he had elite talent in the SEC at the position.

These same folks fail to acknowledge that AK quit BAMA--and made the most of his 2nd chance with us at UT.

And we also know that CBJ FAILED MISERABLY to get AK on the field and the ball into his hands while he was here.
AK could've and SHOULD'VE gotten the ball more as both a runner and pass-catcher from the RB and slot-receiver position.

AK is gettin' his props now in the NFL....and we'll see how HURD performs in the NFL.

I expect HURD to show up in many highlight reels--and then the only question that will be asked is "Why couldn't CBJ win with all that talent at UT?"

Wow. OK, firstly my reply was to an actual question.

Hurd had a 43 yard run against OK as a true freshman....

I haven't gone back and looked....but just how many of our other RBs had 40+ yard rushes while Hurd was here behind the same OL?

Dobbs had many.....but that's another story altogether.

I supplied an answer. I also never saw Hurd's "GREAT talent" at RB. He's a big strong kid with good hands. That's about it. He's not particularly fast or elusive even when compared to people of his same general size. The remaining diatribe with several tangents we'll just not worry about.

Now even considering the above I'm not a "hater" and we all know there are a number of those around here. I've never claimed (then or now) that he wasn't without talent. I also very quickly got over the idea of him being some Eric Dickerson type talent which was pure hype. It remains to be seen what he'll do at the next level. He's very versatile which in and of itself has some value. I think he's talented enough to have some success but how much? IDK.

Last edited:
The biggest chink in the armor is his lack of speed... he ran a 4.66 40 time at the combine, so he definitely doesn't have NFL WR speed... he is going to have use his size to get open.
Plenty of nfl receivers don’t/haven’t had “nfl WR speed”.....two great comparisons for Hurd that come to mind are Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald.

He was a projected top 100 pick.

Not that fast for WRs, so I expect him to eventually transition to TE like we said all along on Volnation. lol
He slimmed down, lost 15-20 lbs so he could play WR at Baylor, and he played it well enough to get drafted in the 3rd round. Not sure why he would now try to pack on 30-35 pounds to play a position in the nfl that he’s never played before.

And speed is overrated for nfl WRs, especially when they’re big-bodied guys like Hurd at 6’4 1/2”, 225 lbs.

I supplied an answer. I also never saw Hurd's "GREAT talent" at RB. He's a big strong kid with good hands. That's about it. He's not particularly fast or elusive even when compared to people of his same general size. The remaining diatribe with several tangents we'll just not worry about.

Now even considering the above I'm not a "hater" and we all know there are a number of those around here. I've never claimed (then or now) that he wasn't without talent. I also very quickly got over the idea of him being some Eric Dickerson type talent which was pure hype. It remains to be seen what he'll do at the next level. He's very versatile which in and of itself has some value. I think he's talented enough to have some success but how much? IDK.
Incredibly well said imo. I too thought (have said it many times on here) that he was Eric Dickerson 2.0....big, tall and fast as hell, a generational type running back like ED was...but it was all hype. He was big and strong, played hard and had some decent success as a collegiate running back. But at the end of the day (as I also have written several times on here) I agree with you....his best attributes were his size and his excellent hands for catching passes.....and surprise, surprise, he just got drafted because of his size and excellent hands for catching passes.

You’re trying way too hard to make a case that can’t be made. Hurd wasn’t a great running back st Tennessee. He’s not top 10-12 all-time imo, I can name several off the top of my head that we’re far better SEC running backs and just more talented as a runner.

Yeah, he took a beating, but he also had a ton more opportunities than AK or JK to bust even 1 50-yard run and never could. Too slow, poor open field instincts....his best skill was ALWAYS catching the ball out of the backfield, he was smooth and natural from day one.

Hurd was a good SEC running back who ran hard and got some tough yards, especially in that 2015 UF game in Gainesville. But he was never remotely close to the running back we were told we were getting out of highschool....period.

Reactions: ZZ13
I have some of his UT game worn gear and his Baylor game worn gear.

It’s weird how much he grew just between UT and Baylor.

Both his gloves and jerseys went up in size.

Any idiot worth a damn would have realized he outgrew the RB position but not good ole butch jones.

You’re trying way too hard to make a case that can’t be made. Hurd wasn’t a great running back st Tennessee. He’s not top 10-12 all-time imo, I can name several off the top of my head that we’re far better SEC running backs and just more talented as a runner.

Yeah, he took a beating, but he also had a ton more opportunities than AK or JK to bust even 1 50-yard run and never could. Too slow, poor open field instincts....his best skill was ALWAYS catching the ball out of the backfield, he was smooth and natural from day one.

Hurd was a good SEC running back who ran hard and got some tough yards, especially in that 2015 UF game in Gainesville. But he was never remotely close to the running back we were told we were getting out of highschool....period.

No sir, I am not trying too hard. Hurd made his own case on the field--go back and watch his films in 2014 and 2015.
And Hurd emphatically WAS the RB we were told we were getting out of High School.
Good GOD man, he was 2nd team all-SEC RB in 2015--coming in behind those two BUMS known as Derrick Henry and Leonard Fournette! I think that those 2 guys were pretty good if memory serves...

It's just OBVIOUS that you cannot be objective when evaluating Hurd's accomplishments at UT. And you've toned down your "anti-Hurd" rhetoric considerably since more information has come out about just how horrendous CBJ was.
And no, I do not think he's one of the top 5 RBs at UT, but he definitely belongs in that group between 6-10 that is led by Henry.
(top 5: Lewis, Garner, Cobb, Webb, and Stephens in no particular order other than my memory).

Hurd's last season at Baylor showed the NFL scouts that he is as versatile as he is good.
I think it just chaps many of your collective rear ends to be proven WRONG about him--especially concerning where he was taken in the NFL Draft.

And for the record---I ALWAYS thought that Hurd should've been converted to play LB while he was at UT.

Last edited:
Reactions: BreatheUT

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I thought you were a "hater". I did not mean that.

My only point in asking the question about who Lane, AK, and JK got their long runs against was
1) I haven't looked it up--I remembered Hurd's long run against OK because I watched it and was disappointed when they caught him from behind; and
2) trying to keep the comparisons consistent with competition.

I do remember Kamara's long run, but I can't remember who it was against and that I was shocked when he got caught from behind.
JK's long run was against some non-SEC punching bag if memory serves.

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I thought you were a "hater". I did not mean that.

My only point in asking the question about who Lane, AK, and JK got their long runs against was
1) I haven't looked it up--I remembered Hurd's long run against OK because I watched it and was disappointed when they caught him from behind; and
2) trying to keep the comparisons consistent with competition.

I do remember Kamara's long run, but I can't remember who it was against and that I was shocked when he got caught from behind.
JK's long run was against some non-SEC punching bag if memory serves.

Wasn't Kamara's against aTm when he zig zagged about 150 yrds then fumbled inside the 10.
I think we got the ball back without giving up points off the turnover so it wasn't too costly, but coughing the ball up at the end made it very anti-climatic

He should have finished the 2016 season. I would like him more if he had.
I respect his physical potential, and believe he has the tools to light up the NFL at receiver.

Reactions: Behr
I understand and to an extent share your humorous view. However, ER might get the worst of the hit. Jalen is known for laying out DBs when not showboating as he did in that Georgia game and got his arse exploded.
I’m not so sure he was showboating when he got blasted. He did relax thinking he was about to score, but that’s not what I think of when showboating is mentioned. I also feel if the WR would have kept his man occupied rather than relaxing as the ball went to Hurd, allowing his guy to break coverage and blindside Hurd. Does this take any heat off Hurd for relaxing too? Nope. But it does shine light on the subject of the relaxing while the play is still happening. When Hurd got blasted in the SC game, it was a situation where he relaxed before the play was over.

He should have finished the 2016 season. I would like him more if he had.
I respect his physical potential, and believe he has the tools to light up the NFL at receiver.

Yes, he should have finished the 2016 season. I think it's fine to expect alot from these 17-20 year old college football players. They're being coached by million dollar coaches in a billion dollar business. I think it's also fine if they make a bad decision or mistake, life is full of them. Dude was surrounded by a chitshow, with Butch and his family.

It's not even fun to make fun of those few here that spew their unforgiving hate towards him for quitting. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen here.

To be clear Spooky, I'm not referring to you, I just picked your post to respond to.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Wasn't Kamara's against aTm when he zig zagged about 150 yrds then fumbled inside the 10.
I think we got the ball back without giving up points off the turnover so it wasn't too costly, but coughing the ball up at the end made it very anti-climatic

That play against aTm was actually a pass to Kamara out of the backfield...
He broke a long run in another game...but I can't remember who it was against...when he got caught from behind.

Hurd and Kamara in split back formation in 3 WR set would've been very difficult to defend.

The 49ers had him as a 3rd rounder and that's what they wanted. I liked Hurd's drive I didn't like how he quit on the team but can completely understand why he wanted to get away from that coaching staff .

I realize Baylor's offense tends to inflate stats a bit, but it's worth noting that based on his numbers, he'd likely been our #1 WR last season if he were still on the team. Butch absolutely squandered his talent, just like he did with Kamara, Dobbs, and several other players.

Wishing Hurd luck in the NFL. He was smart to get away from Butch, even if he didn't necessarily go about it the 100% right way. I give him the benefit of the doubt as a young man, as we all make mistakes at that age.

Though, part of me does think of how crazy it would've been to have a WR corps with Preston Williams, Jalen Hurd, Jauan Jennings, Marquez Callaway, and Josh Palmer all at the same time! Not that it wouldn't have been squandered with the O-line issues.

Definitely would have been squandered. Still, I will be cheering for the Cardinals, Rams, and Seahawks. I cannot abide a quitter.

VN Store

Back