Jalen Hurd cited for underage drinking (will play in bowl)

Non story. These guys must know that every fart they emit will be reported and will be treated as major gas leak!

Its a mistake that I hope he learns from. You've got to be careful when in his position. I'm not judging his mistake, I did the same at 18. I just hope he realizes how much his team needs him to stay out of this kind of spotlight and is careful if he chooses to continue to do this.

When there is an arrest, the accused is taken into custody. If there was only a citation, there was no arrest. There is no such thing as arrest by citation. Tennesseean reporter needs to beef up on criminal law terminology.
Wrong.

A citation in lieu of arrest is permitted in most states for certain low-level crimes. A citation is a written order, in lieu of a warrantless arrest, that is issued by a law enforcement officer or other authorized official, requiring a person to appear in a designated court or governmental office at a specified time and date.

State statutes guide the circumstances under which a citation can be issued, often determined by the class of the alleged crime and providing exceptions for certain crimes.

In Tennessee, the statute says:
“In cases in which:
the public will not be endangered by the continued freedom of the suspected misdemeanant;
the law enforcement officer has reasonable proof of the identity of the suspected misdemeanant; and
there is no reason to believe the suspected misdemeanant will not appear as required by law,
the general assembly finds that the issuance of a citation in lieu of custodial arrest of the suspected misdemeanant will result in cost savings and increased public safety by allowing the use of jail space for dangerous individuals and/or felons and by keeping officers on patrol. Accordingly, the general assembly encourages all law enforcement agencies to so utilize misdemeanor citations and to encourage their personnel to use those citations when reasonable and according to law.” [§40-7-118(m)].

The Citation is issued after the arrest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think that if I had as much riding on the line as these guys do and knowing the fact that all eyes are always on me,,, I could probably forgo the whole drinking thing.. disappointing.

Hope he learns a lesson.

Poll: if we disqualified all the student athletes who illegally consumed alcohol underage in the month before bowl games, how many teams could field a squad over New Years?

The Story...

The media can hype this all they want, but the real story will come out.

One of Jalen's friends had his vehicle, passed out in it, and campus police saw him passed out in the vehicle. They ran the tags and looked for the owner of the vehicle (Jalen), went to his dorm room (where they saw opened containers), and cited him for underage drinking. If Jalen was drinking in his dorm, it doesn't make it right, BUT he was in his dorm not bothering a damn person. Campus PD being dicks IMO.

He has not been arrested or processed. The matter was an internal issue and already handled by the university.

Reactions: 6 people
Poll: if we disqualified all the student athletes who illegally consumed alcohol underage in the month before bowl games, how many teams could field a squad over New Years?

There would be enough players for one bowl game, made up of teams consolidated.

About as groundbreaking as the new Nike uniform thread. College kids drink. Surprise, surprise, surprise

Would be hard to field for tennis in a singles competition.

Name one person who didn't drink in college. So stupid

Lots of people don't drink in college. Whether the drinking age is stupid or not, he should know that drinking enough to pass out in the car would get him in trouble. Just have to be smarter than that next time. Lessons learned.

Lots of people don't drink in college. Stupid or not, he should know that drinking enough to pass out in the car would get him in trouble. Just have to be smarter than that next time. Lessons learned.

From the story it sounds like he does know that. Read the facts again

The Story...

The media can hype this all they want, but the real story will come out.

One of Jalen's friends had his vehicle, passed out in it, and campus police saw him passed out in the vehicle. They ran the tags and looked for the owner of the vehicle (Jalen), went to his dorm room (where they saw opened containers), and cited him for underage drinking. If Jalen was drinking in his dorm, it doesn't make it right, BUT he was in his dorm not bothering a damn person. Campus PD being d!cks IMO.

He has not been arrested or processed. The matter was an internal issue and already handled by the university.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back