Jakob Johnson Makes an NFL Roster

DiderotsGhost

Congrats to Jakob Johnson, who has landed on the New England Patriots roster. Johnson played very well as a Tight End in the German Football League, notching 43 receptions for 474 yards. He has a tough road ahead to stay on the roster when the season starts, but still very impressive.

Also, obligatory mention of how, once again, Butch Jones somehow managed to botch NFL level talent. Even if the German Football League isn't on NFL level, somehow Johnson walks in and immediately becomes a great Tight End, but only has 3 receptions at UT?

Congrats to Jakob Johnson, who has landed on the New England Patriots roster. Johnson played very well as a Tight End in the German Football League, notching 43 receptions for 474 yards. He has a tough road ahead to stay on the roster when the season starts, but still very impressive.

Also, obligatory mention of how, once again, Butch Jones somehow managed to botch NFL level talent. Even if the German Football League isn't on NFL level, somehow Johnson walks in and immediately becomes a great Tight End, but only has 3 receptions at UT?
Invited to camp or made the roster?

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
Spot on the roster according to articles. Of course, the NFL rosters shrink significantly before the season; think they can have 90 players in preseason, but it shrinks down to 53 when the season starts.

Johnson is gonna have an opportunity to make the 53 man roster. If he's not able to make the roster he'll be granted an extra 11th spot on the practice squad but will not be eligible to be promoted. Jones botched a heck of a lot of talent while at UT.. I don't think Jakob was one of them though. Physically the guy looks impressive, however, he never appeared overly athletic while at Tennessee. As a LB he was too slow and as a TE can he really compete and play with top talent? We'll see how he does, I just cant see him ever being a starting or contributing TE in the NFL.

Reactions: arkivol
Jones botched a heck of a lot of talent while at UT.. I don't think Jakob was one of them though. Physically the guy looks impressive, however, he never appeared overly athletic while at Tennessee. As a LB he was too slow and as a TE can he really compete and play with top talent? We'll see how he does, I just cant see him ever being a starting or contributing TE in the NFL.

He may not ever be a contributing TE in the NFL, but take just one look at the picture of him, and you can see how much better he looks physically now. It's been said a million times here (by me and countless others), but Butch screwed up the S&C program. We keep seeing more and more evidence of that. If Jakob Johhson looked like that at UT and got proper coaching, he could've been a significant contributor here.

Honestly, the one thing that makes me a bit more optimistic about this season is now that we've actually had about a year and a half with a good S&C program, our players are finally starting to look the part again. We'll have to wait and see how it impacts results, but our guys look better across the board now.

According to UTVol tradition he will probably replace that other TE and erase all his career records.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
As a Pats fan I'm intrigued. Think Jakob has some unique skills that if harnessed could possibly make something of himself. Will be interesting to watch.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Would vindicate Tommy Thigpen if he does make the NE team imo. I lost a lot of faith in TT after he said JJ was the best lb he had ever seen(or something to that effect) and then seeing him on the field.

Glad for the kid, just to get there is miraculous in a way.

VN Store

Back