It's very evident after tonight.

This team is digressing. The only way a coach can keep the fan base energized and unified, while asking them to be patient and trust the process, is if the fans see progress by the team and the coaching staff on the field. "Be patient" and "trust the process" wears thin without the onfield progress.

If you really thought this team would win against top ranked teams with a brand new offensive line, you are delusional. There is simply not a lot you can do when you don't get much blocking. You can blame Dooley's recruiting for most of that. They are improving as the defense is substantially better than what we have had the last few years. If Worley is not seriously injured, we have a good shot at the last 4 games. The process is not going as fast as we would like, but it is moving forward.

This team is digressing. The only way a coach can keep the fan base energized and unified, while asking them to be patient and trust the process, is if the fans see progress by the team and the coaching staff on the field. "Be patient" and "trust the process" wears thin without the onfield progress.
I don't think the team is digressing at all. The level of competition is going up and teams have enough film on us now to see all of our weaknesses that we could hide early in the year. We are a good offensive line away from having a good record. We can't run the plays we want to run because we can't block. We can't run good pass routes because the quarterback doesn't have time for the play to develop. Our problem is very simple. When you have poor line talent, you can't get anything done on offense. We need better linemen period. The guys we have now are just plain slow and no amount of coaching can correct someone being slow.

Jones has got to get a good passer that is also a good runner. All the best teams have that. We couldn't even get to the top with PM: it took a good passer and great runner via TM. We have a great defense but our offense wears them out and I suspect also depresses them. Being one of the greatest couch potato QBs ever, I put most of that blame on the OC and Jones for poor play calling...lol. Maybe we can get 5 wins with some better luck.

Some guys don't marry the right girl the first time

Especially when they fall in love with the first one that says "hi"

Well Butch wasn't the first one to say hi he was much further down the list. I believe that he is doing well. He has only had 1 1/2 years to turn this team around. Everyone one here seems to think he has to do 4 years of work and development in 1 1/2 years. If this is the type of season we have in year 4 then yeah fire him, but not half way through his second year.

Reactions: 1 person
OK... so I'll ask the next in a long line who have tried this non-sensical excuse. Name the program that has hired a coach that failed to improve the team's record within the first two years that went on to success within the last 20-25 years (modern era of college football).

You will find a long list that had coaches for 2-4 years before finding the guy that turned things around.

Check back on Virginia Tech in Beamer's early years. I think it took him 5 or 6 years to turn them around.

OK... so I'll ask the next in a long line who have tried this non-sensical excuse. Name the program that has hired a coach that failed to improve the team's record within the first two years that went on to success within the last 20-25 years (modern era of college football).

You will find a long list that had coaches for 2-4 years before finding the guy that turned things around.

Well evidently, you should just apply for HC.. Since it's so easy, and statistically every program should have the same results to be good..eventually. How about you take a breath and give the guy some time, COACH?!

If you really thought this team would win against top ranked teams with a brand new offensive line, you are delusional. There is simply not a lot you can do when you don't get much blocking. You can blame Dooley's recruiting for most of that. They are improving as the defense is substantially better than what we have had the last few years. If Worley is not seriously injured, we have a good shot at the last 4 games. The process is not going as fast as we would like, but it is moving forward.

I will say this again. I did not expect the win. However, I did expect them to look much better than they did. It looked like Jones waded into the stands and put a pick up team on the field. By the way, Saban calls "next."

Reactions: 2 people
Idiots. Coaching change every 3 years.. Good plan guys.

Actually we wouldn't need a coaching change every 3 years if we would stop making budget hires. Spend the money necessary to hire a coach with proven success like a Dan Mullen, Hugh Freeze, David Cutcliffe, or Art Briles. Don't go on the cheap and try to find a diamond in the rough like we have with the last three hires.

Don't get me wrong, i am still hoping that Butch is the diamond in the rough, but I must confess that i am starting to have my doubts after seeing our offensive line and offensive play as a whole regress rather than improve throughout the season.

Reactions: 2 people
So you want an all freshman o-line, because that is all Butch has had a chance to put on the field that and the ones he managed to get when Dooley was fired

I'd like to see an offensive tackle that can manage to take a block a yard or so wider on a speed rushing defensive end.

7 games in and the tackles still set up too far in to the hash mark to at least chip the DE.

I'd like to see a guard manage to execute a kick out block to open some lanes for a RB.

What I am seeing is a fundamentally pathetic O line that is going well beyond being outmanned or overmatched physically.

That, I could live with.

Getting beat on the same mistakes seven games into a season is pitiful coaching.

Reactions: 4 people
I hate how negative you guys on here are, but at least we have the most passionate fan base. Quit being so negative it is not going to be easy, not with the mess we found ourselves in starting with the last year or two of Fulmer.

Tennessee will never be good again as long as there fans keep putting bs like this on forums and keep going to social media with it, tennessee is so far down and butch is killing hisself and the freshman have already over achieved big Time u sir add to the list of embarrassing fans if butch doesn't bring us back nobody will... why would any coach wanna come to tennessee for there fans god it kills me

1. BS
2. What is written on this forum has zero to do with how the team will perform
3. *himself
4. Other than defense, where is the team overachieving? We're 3-4, about to be 3-5 this time next week
5. The idea that Jones is the only coach that can bring us back is foolish.
6. Great tradition, great facilities, SEC team, $3mil plus

Reactions: 3 people
I will say this again. I did not expect the win. However, I did expect them to look much better than they did. It looked like Jones waded into the stands and put a pick up team on the field. By the way, Saban calls "next."

That's a pretty good defense you can find just sitting around in Mississippi

Actually we wouldn't need a coaching change every 3 years if we would stop making budget hires. Spend the money necessary to hire a coach with proven success like a Dan Mullen, Hugh Freeze, David Cutcliffe, or Art Briles. Don't go on the cheap and try to find a diamond in the rough like we have with the last three hires.

Don't get me wrong, i am still hoping that Butch is the diamond in the rough, but I must confess that i am starting to have my doubts after seeing our offensive line and offensive play as a whole regress rather than improve throughout the season.

Meanwhile, Cut is doing pretty well for himself. Duke is going to a third consecutive bowl.

Reactions: 1 person
1. BS
2. What is written on this forum has zero to do with how the team will perform
3. *himself
4. Other than defense, where is the team overachieving? We're 3-4, about to be 3-5 this time next week
5. The idea that Jones is the only coach that can bring us back is foolish.
6. Great tradition, great facilities, SEC team, $3mil plus

The mentality that " we can't get a better coach" is what has got us in this mess

Reactions: 5 people
I'd like to see an offensive tackle that can manage to take a block a yard or so wider on a speed rushing defensive end.

7 games in and the tackles still set up too far in to the hash mark to at least chip the DE.

I'd like to see a guard manage to execute a kick out block to open some lanes for a RB.

What I am seeing is a fundamentally pathetic O line that is going well beyond being outmanned or overmatched physically.

That, I could live with.

Getting beat on the same mistakes seven games into a season is pitiful coaching.
you're just wrong. You're not the only one who has been watching the line play and they get beat just as often with the inside move as they do with the outside move. Our linemen are just slow! If they move out, they'll get beat to the inside and vice versa. You can't correct slowness.

you're just wrong. You're not the only one who has been watching the line play and they get beat just as often with the inside move as they do with the outside move. Our linemen are just slow! If they move out, they'll get beat to the inside and vice versa. You can't correct slowness.

Speed can be improved. I they do look pretty slow, because it looks like the linemen are trying to catch Usaine Bolt

I understand that it has become the mantra around here, but honestly the defense gave up nearly 400 yards and 34 points tonight. It's not like they played lights out either. Their punt returner put them in horrible field position early which helped, but it's not like we just shut down Ole Miss like some people are acting.

I understand that it has become the mantra around here, but honestly the defense gave up nearly 400 yards and 34 points tonight. It's not like they played lights out either. Their punt returner put them in horrible field position early which helped, but it's not like we just shut down Ole Miss like some people are acting.

Exactly.

VN Store

Back