Its time to land a big time RB!!!

Leonard fournette is a generational player. We may not see another player of his caliber for 20 or 30 years.

Not necessarily. The college careers of Bo Jackson (1982-1985) and Herschel Walker (1980-1982) overlapped. Barry Sanders began his college career one year after the conclusion of Jacskon's, and Emmitt Smith matriculated at Florida in 1987.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. The college careers of Bo Jackson (1982-1985) and Herschel Walker (1980-1982) overlapped. Barry Sanders began his college career one year after the conclusion of Jacskon's, and Emmitt Jackson matriculated at Florida in 1987.
Smith?

Not necessarily. The college careers of Bo Jackson (1982-1985) and Herschel Walker (1980-1982) overlapped. Barry Sanders began his college career one year after the conclusion of Jacskon's, and Emmitt Smith matriculated at Florida in 1987.
Emmitt wasn't anywhere close to as good as the rest of those guys in college. Emmitt had a nice pro career but he was always able to run behind the likes of Nate Newton and those other monsters on the Cowboys' OL in the 90's. I'd trade 3 Emmitt Smith's for 1 Barry Sanders.

Emmitt wasn't anywhere close to as good as the rest of those guys in college. Emmitt had a nice pro career but he was always able to run behind the likes of Nate Newton and those other monsters on the Cowboys' OL in the 90's. I'd trade 3 Emmitt Smith's for 1 Barry Sanders.

Emmit ran for nearly 4,000 yards in 3 seasons at UF. IIRC, he had a 1,600 yard Senior campaign in '89.

As has already been pointed out, a good comparison to fournette would be Saquon Barkley. I agree, but that is the exception, not the rule.

Reactions: buckfama
Yep. And in college, Herschel was at least a 1/2 step above Sanders and Bo.
The thing about Herschel Walker was that he couldn't be stopped even though everyone knew what was coming.

He spent his best years as a pro playing for Donald Trump in the USFL and still had a nice NFL career after that. Barry Sanders is the best I've ever seen though. Bo was a lot like Herschel Walker but less durable.

Let's not forget Marcus Dupree. Herschel, Bo, and Dupree were all born in a span of two years. They were all pretty much the same size with Dupree being the largest at 6'3" 230. All of them were sub 4.3 backs. All born in the deep south. Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. I don't think we've seen even one back since they played with comparable talent.

For anyone to young to remember, Dupree went to Oklahoma. After a couple of games Switzer ditched his wishbone for the I Formation because of Dupree. He would go on to be an All-American his freshman year. Set Fiesta Bowl record with 250 yards rushing. Sadly things went downhill from there.

Reactions: igotworms
Let's not forget Marcus Dupree. Herschel, Bo, and Dupree were all born in a span of two years. They were all pretty much the same size with Dupree being the largest at 6'3" 230. All of them were sub 4.3 backs. All born in the deep south. Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. I don't think we've seen even one back since they played with comparable talent.

For anyone to young to remember, Dupree went to Oklahoma. After a couple of games Switzer ditched his wishbone for the I Formation because of Dupree. He would go on to be an All-American his freshman year. Set Fiesta Bowl record with 250 yards rushing. Sadly things went downhill from there.

Adrian Peterson says hello

Last edited:

Didn't he wind up in prison and eventually make it to the NFL?

The thing about Herschel Walker was that he couldn't be stopped even though everyone knew what was coming.

He spent his best years as a pro playing for Donald Trump in the USFL and still had a nice NFL career after that. Barry Sanders is the best I've ever seen though. Bo was a lot like Herschel Walker but less durable.

In Walker's last year (Jr) at UGA, he was injured in the pre season and there was speculation that he wouldn't be able to play in the opening game vs Vandy. They asked Vandy coach George MacIntyre what he thought of Herschel not playing against the Dores and he said, he was more concerned that UGA had some players that could actually hurt Herschel.

In Walker's last year (Jr) at UGA, he was injured in the pre season and there was speculation that he wouldn't be able to play in the opening game vs Vandy. They asked Vandy coach George MacIntyre what he thought of Herschel not playing against the Dores and he said, he was more concerned that UGA had some players that could actually hurt Herschel.
I remember that, he broke his hand or something in fall camp and they just used him as a decoy in that game. I remember he carried it almost 50 times one year in a televised game against Florida.

We need to land a good back chandler and Jordan are both gone after next year and gray is good but he’s to little to carry the load all game and I just don’t think tee hodge has it man

I understand the D line is in dire need of run stoppers and pass rushers....I agree it's probably our most pressing need. However, I really believe it's time we sign a feature RB that's gonna be able to compliment what might end up being an elite OL in a few years. Ty and Tim have one more year and Gray is gonna be an awesome scat back/homerun guy...I know the Maryville kid is talented, but I've heard he lacks the athleticism that you'd like for a great SEC/future NFL back...Why cant we haul in one of those 6-0 215/225 lb 4/5 stars that TN was known for during the golden years?

RB is a position that you don't have to sign alot of every year...Since it doesn't seem like we've done this in the 2020 class, shouldn't the staff find who they think are the 5 best RBs in the country in the 2021 class and ask each one who wants to play early for one of the best OLs in the country...and tell each of them we're only gonna sign one of you so you better jump on board..
Most are committed elsewhere and at this point are not interested in UT. Would you like to become the newest bagman?_

Reactions: SweetasSoda

VN Store

Back