Its time to land a big time RB!!!

Not gonna get an elite RB recruit this cycle. Ty is a senior, Tim is a senior, Gray is a sophomore. Watch for Cody Brown in 2021. With SCjr struggling I think we’ll be able to jump in and get him. Also Trenton Adkins up in Virginia

Want a great RB? Have an assured opening that he can start.

Tank, loyd, Edwards, Gibbs, Collins, Amos would all be good takes at this point if we could get back in with or close any of them.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Jay Graham, Jerald Riggs, Jabari Davis, Arian Foster, Cedric Houston.....We've had em...

Jay Train and Arian Foster...not really.
Foster was productive, but he struck zero fear in the defense.

Jalen Hurd...yes
Riggs ....yes
B Brown...yes
Kamara...yes

True breakaway big backs are rare these days.

Absolutely not. Just saying he at least fits the mold.

Physically? Yes. Hodge has outstanding size and excellent speed, though he weighed around 197 when he reportedly ran an electronically timed 4.47 40 @ WVU. My concern, though, is that his on-the-field production in high school is not remotely in the same ball park as those guys'. Even when healthy, he hasn't put up consistently impressive numbers.

I understand the D line is in dire need of run stoppers and pass rushers....I agree it's probably our most pressing need. However, I really believe it's time we sign a feature RB that's gonna be able to compliment what might end up being an elite OL in a few years. Ty and Tim have one more year and Grey is gonna be an awesome scat back/homerun guy...I know the Maryville kid is talented, but I've heard he lacks the athleticism that you'd like for a great SEC/future NFL back...Why cant we haul in one of those 6-0 215 lb 4/5 stars that TN was known for during the golden years?

RB is a position that you don't have to sign alot of every year...Since it doesn't seem like we've done this in the 2020 class, shouldn't the staff find who they think are the 5 best RBs in the country in the 2021 class and ask each one who wants to play early for one of the best OLs in the country...and tell each of them we're only gonna sign one of you so you better jump on board..
So you don't think Pruitt isn't trying to already?

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Silly troller....there are 5-6 great backs signed every year....TN used to get one of them....That's obviously his point
There are not 5-6 Todd Gurley's every year though, that's what the other guy is saying. Yes, it's a bit of a juvenile back and forth, but this is a message board, if folks can't intentionally misunderstand and mock each other here, where can they?

Last edited:
Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Great running backs don't grow on trees for sure, but no doubt we need a bigger athletic running back on our roster. We have good backs, but we haven't had a elite type back in a while. One that runs in between the tackles and is hard to bring down. During most of the 80' and 90's Tennessee always had one of these types of runners. From Cobb to Webb to Little Man Stewart to Hayden to Lewis to Henry and many in between. GBO!

Reactions: keenobserver
Physically? Yes. Hodge has outstanding size and excellent speed, though he weighed around 197 when he reportedly ran an electronically timed 4.47 40 @ WVU. My concern, though, is that his on-the-field production in high school is not remotely in the same ball park as those guys'. Even when healthy, he hasn't put up consistently impressive numbers.
Doesn’t have the numbers because he doesn’t have to play the entire game. Maryville doesn’t have many close games

It would be really nice if we could steal Marshawn Loyd for this class

He's the 3rd best player I've seen the at high school level this year in person.
1) Bryce Young
2) DJ Ugaleili (sp)
3) Marshawn Lloyd

Him and Gray would be a lethal tandem

Doesn’t have the numbers because he doesn’t have to play the entire game. Maryville doesn’t have many close games

Fair observation but he simply hasn't dominated at the HS level as you'd expect from an SEC-caliber prospect in East Tennessee, averaging just 6.1 ypc over the past 2 seasons. For a guy with his size and speed, that's surprisingly low considering the blocking he gets from Maryville's OL.

Even though I don't believe Hodge will be a standout RB for us in the same vein as other names mentioned here, I still think he's a solid addition.

Reactions: Lt. Nordberg
Fair observation but he simply hasn't dominated at the HS level as you'd expect from an SEC-caliber prospect in East Tennessee, averaging just 6.1 ypc over the past 2 seasons. For a guy with his size and speed, that's surprisingly low considering the blocking he gets from Maryville's OL.

Even though I don't believe Hodge will be a standout RB for us in the same vein as other names mentioned here, I still think he's a solid addition.

Perhaps a blocking back/FB in 21 personnel? Similar to Pope's current role?

Reactions: Lt. Nordberg
I can hear it now.

Kesling: Crouch hits the inside hole hard right up the middle

Bertelkamp: Money

John Ward: Bottom

Saquan Barkley ?
I guess you got me there. But really though, how often do talents like that come along? It could be another 20 years before we see another saquon or fournette. Being 6 feet tall 240 lb and as fast as a gazelle is not something that you see every cycle. You're extremely lucky to see it once every 10 Cycles.

Not gonna get an elite RB recruit this cycle. Ty is a senior, Tim is a senior, Gray is a sophomore. Watch for Cody Brown in 2021. With SCjr struggling I think we’ll be able to jump in and get him. Also Trenton Adkins up in Virginia
Cody Brown is number 1 want for 2021 imo. Kid is a stud.

What these guys said.

Cody Brown is that type of RB everyone is clamoring about. Rated #6 RB in the country for 2021. 6'0" 210 lbs. Out of Georgia. Parkview High school (suburb of Atlanta). Plays in a super tough region. Region champ is usually in finals or semi-finals for state championship. UT offered in April 2019. Seems to be mutual interest, he came up for a visit for the UAB game.

Reactions: keenobserver

VN Store

Back