It's official Kara Lawson hired

NoBackBoard

People said for a while that Kara had no interest in coaching. Then she coached 3x3, then NBA assistant, then Duke job, now she says her dream was always to coach. Is this the first time anyone has seen those comments publicly? Any earlier stories of her expressing her dream of coaching?

stlvolsfan

Kara Lawson took a different route to becoming a Head Coach and this might become very common in the future where Coaches wont be starting their coaching career off the bat like Kellie did.They will likely take Kara's path a lengthy professional career and a gig at NBA teams these might be the coaches of the future...
Duke's Kara Lawson represents new generation of coaches

ACC women coaches (some)

Niele Ivey: Played in the WNBA,Assistant Coach at ND,Gig with the NBA Memphis Grizzlies,HC at ND

Tina Thompson: WNBA star,4x WNBA Champion,2x Olympian,short gig at Texas now Head Coach of UV

Kara Lawson: WNBA All-star,WNBA Champion '05,Olympian,NBA & CBB Analyst,NBA assistant Coach,Head coach of Duke.

SEC women coaches:
Dawn Staley: ABL(before the WNBA),WNBA star,3x Olympian,HC at Temple,HC at USC

Nikki Fargras: Assistant Coach at various colleges,HC at LSU

Kellie Harper: 4th round WNBA pick,Assistant Coach at various places,HC at Western Carolina,NC State,Missouri State and Now Tennessee

Nikki McCray: ABL Star,WNBA Star, AC at USC,HC at ODU and now HC at Miss State

Yolett McPhee-McCuin: Various AC at Div 1 programs,HC at Jacksonville University and HC at Ole Miss

Kristy Curry: Various AC at Div 1 programs,HC at Purdue and currently HC at Alabama

Joni Taylor:Various AC at Div 1 programs,HC at UGA

Stephanie White: WNBA player(short career),AC at various Div 1 colleges,WNBA Assistant Coach(5yrs) WNBA Coach (she coached Tamika Catchings) NBA&CBB Analyst now HC at Vandy

Robin Pingeton: WNBA Player (3 seasons),Various AC at Div 1 programs,HC at Illinois now HC at Mizzou

Terri Williams-Flournoy: Various AC at Div 1 program,HC at GeorgeTown,Team USA assistant coach,now HC at Auburn
This isn’t correct. Pingeton was the Associate Head Coach at Iowa State, then the Head Coach at Illinois State, not Illinois, before taking over at Mizzou.

stlvolsfan

She is now the enemy in women's college basketball.....

Damn guys, we don't praise other teams coaches....She will try and kick out butts every chance she gets....

If and when she comes back to us, then she is one of us again.
Just because you get married, doesn’t mean you don’t love your parents and siblings anymore. She may be married to Duke now but she started as a Vol and will always be a Vol. 🙄

GameTime

Just because you get married, doesn’t mean you don’t love your parents and siblings anymore. She may be married to Duke now but she started as a Vol and will always be a Vol. 🙄
In the near future, as potential recruits are researching coaches, perhaps it is not a good idea to praise in print a former player that is now the coach of another team that will be trying to kick your teams butt on the court, and recruiting trail...Just a thought.

stlvolsfan

In the near future, as potential recruits are researching coaches, perhaps it is not a good idea to praise in print a former player that is now the coach of another team that will be trying to kick your teams butt on the court, and recruiting trail...Just a thought.
My cousin was a recruit of Tennessee’s. The bigotry shown on this site and others played a bigger role in her declining UT. Not a thought, a fact.

GameTime

It's common, but not when someone got a new job. First, we should say congrats then start the recruit fight with her when that time approaches.
sisaq, recruiting, as reported by all coaching staffs, is 365 days a year...
She has been congratulated for several days now...Good for her.

My 2 cents is still where it was and where it will stay...

Congratulations "coach" Kara.

I am glad that UT is not the liftoff base for her flight. She is a proven announcer and basketball mind, but not a proven collegiate coach. (and NO, 3 on 3 doesn't count,,,it is a WHOLE different game entirely).....We have the right coach at the helm. Kellie has experience in the collegiate field, she had mid-high level talent and made them better and now has access to upper level talent and if she does the same, "make them better" she will undoubtedly get us back to prominence.

I was tough on Coach k this past year as I am on ANY person sitting in a coach's spot.
I want improvement not only in players, but the bench as well.

And I see improvements that get past most eyes, already:
  • No off-court drama during the off-season
  • A potential top 3-5 recruiting class (4 of the top 100 players in the class) ,, that may go to top 1-2 if my anticipation pans out and we get another top 100 player.
  • No change in staff and all of them seem to be on the same page
  • The players are happy and the families are as well
I will look for improvement in in-game coaching, but that is down the road....As for now,, I am 100% that Phil Fulmer made the right choice. Coach K was NOT settled for, but CHOSEN.

Given the two side by side, I would have chosen Coach K as well, without question!

Last edited:

GameTime

I am glad that UT is not the liftoff base for her flight. She is a proven announcer and basketball mind, but not a proven collegiate coach. (and NO, 3 on 3 doesn't cout,,,it is a WHOLE different game entirely).....We have the right coach at the helm. Kellie has experience in the collegiate field, she had mid-high level talent and made them better and now has access to upper level talent and if she does the same, "make them better" she will undoubtedly get us back to prominence.

I was tough on Coach k this past year as I am on ANY person sitting in a coach's spot.

• A potential top 3-5 recruiting class (4 of the top 100 players in the class) ,, that may go to top 1-2 if my anticipation pans out and we get another top 100 player.
I will look for improvement in in-game coaching, but that is down the road....As for now,, I am 100% that Phil Fulmer made the right choice. Coach K was NOT settled for, but CHOSEN.

Given the two side by side, I would have chosen Coach K as well, without question!
Nice post Coach...

lfvol

I am glad that UT is not the liftoff base for her flight. She is a proven announcer and basketball mind, but not a proven collegiate coach. (and NO, 3 on 3 doesn't count,,,it is a WHOLE different game entirely).....We have the right coach at the helm. Kellie has experience in the collegiate field, she had mid-high level talent and made them better and now has access to upper level talent and if she does the same, "make them better" she will undoubtedly get us back to prominence.

Glad you are optimistic while seeing opportunity for improvement. Not sure I follow the no off season drama considering two transfers including one that was among your top three in talent combined with the Brown article.

More important though is the top 4 recruiting class while helpful is still well below the elite level teams and I would argue misleading. Our class consensus ratings are between 32 and 105. Consider .....

In 2020, 6 SEC teams had higher rated prospects than our best who was rated 57 on Hoopgirlz. UConn has the top player. Syracuse, yes Syracuse, had two top tens, OR 2 top 11. Stanford had a top five.

In 2021, UConn will almost certainly have two top 5 when including the top player, who plays in TN. SC has two top six. ND has the number 2 and 16. Stanford again has a top five. Louisville has a top 10 each year. Even OR St has multiple top twenties.

I could go on but the point is KH has to break thru with top of class kids. I hope she does. Some think Lawson has the juice to do that and she is rightfully very well liked for what she did here and what she has done since as evidenced by her role on the BOT. Will she? That remains to be seen. But, I am confident that Kelly has to land one or two of those type kids, and soon, if the expectation is to compete for championships.

Last edited:
...... could go on but the point is KH has to break thru with top of class kids. I hope she does. Some think Lawson has the juice to do that and she is rightfully very well liked for what she did here and what she has done since as evidenced by her role on the BOT. Will she? That remains to be seen. But, I am confident that Kelly has to land one to two of those type kids, and soon, if the expectation is to compete for championships.

I think Coach K used her initial two recruiting classes to fill holes, backup PG, shooters, scorers.
I am ok with not going after a top 5 players if you can fill needed holes.
Besides we have two top-5 level players in Horston and Davis and a couple more potential top five level performers in Key and Burrell.

She has gone out and recruited with purpose and gotten some great talent
(Some of which I will get t o see in person next week)

lfvol

I think Coach K used her initial two recruiting classes to fill holes, backup PG,

I am ok with not going after a top 5 players if you can fill needed holes.
Besides we have two top-5 level players in Horston and Davis and a couple more potential top five level performers in Key and Burrell.

She has gone out and recruited with purpose and gotten some great talent
(Some of which I will get t o see in person next week)
Thanks for the response.

I’d agree she has filled some holes with contributors. And I like Burrell from a talent standpoint perhaps even more than Horsten. I do not see it with Key at all.

I would concede that in the first class and maybe the second, you have to settle for what you can get. For 2021 and for sure 2022, if we did not and are not targeting the very best, that’s a really, really bad sign. In 2022, not only should we be all over a couple of top ten kids, we need to land at least one.

Thanks for the response.

I’d agree she has filled some holes with contributors. And I like Burrell from a talent standpoint perhaps even more than Horsten. I do not see it with Key at all.

I would concede that in the first class and maybe the second, you have to settle for what you can get. For 2021 and for sure 2022, if we did not and are not targeting the very best, that’s a really, really bad sign. In 2022, not only should we be all over a couple of top ten kids, we need to land at least one.
2021 isn't over till its over as well
;)

Twinsbornoncampus

People said for a while that Kara had no interest in coaching. Then she coached 3x3, then NBA assistant, then Duke job, now she says her dream was always to coach. Is this the first time anyone has seen those comments publicly? Any earlier stories of her expressing her dream of coaching?
who cares? She has one now.

NoBackBoard

who cares? She has one now.
Well, obviously I care since I posted it. Use your brain, if you have one. I asked because when Holly was HC and an assistant spot was open, some fans suggested Kara. But then several fans said Kara said she had no interest in coaching. So I’m wondering if Kara had a change of heart or if those fans were lying.

VN Store

Sponsors