It's official Kara Lawson hired

Franklin Pierce

When the news of Lawson came out that she was most likely going to be Duke's coach, the Lady Vol Forum became like a "mini mob" of mostly unknown posters, that don't post here regularly...They were proclaiming her the next Pat Summitt, and expressing their displeasure with Coach Kellie because she did not please their desires in her one year here...

Then, when Lawson was hired, the mob got even more hungry to support Lawson as the greatest that ever was, before she even began.....So DUMB!
According to some people, Lawson has emerged as a candidate to become possibly the greatest women's college basketball coach of all-time because she has a brilliant basketball mind, and that there is nothing special about Lady Vol coach Kellie Harper and she will likely end up being a failure at Tennessee.

NashVol11

Gloomed to Fail
According to some people, Lawson has emerged as a candidate to become possibly the greatest women's college basketball coach of all-time because she has a brilliant basketball mind, and that there is nothing special about Lady Vol coach Kellie Harper and she will likely end up being a failure at Tennessee.
According to which people? Cite your source

Terrells Bay88

I haven’t seen anyone “slam” Kellie. It seems like you want everyone to say “well Kellie is better anyway” and any departure from that is a “slam”
Is there anything in that post said that I wanted to say that Kellie was better anyway? It seems like that something you made up out of straw. There's most certainly different tone on this board from with Nikki was hired at Miss St than it was when Kara was hired at Duke.

LadyVols_WBK

Kara Lawson took a different route to becoming a Head Coach and this might become very common in the future where Coaches wont be starting their coaching career off the bat like Kellie did.They will likely take Kara's path a lengthy professional career and a gig at NBA teams these might be the coaches of the future...
Duke's Kara Lawson represents new generation of coaches

ACC women coaches (some)

Niele Ivey: Played in the WNBA,Assistant Coach at ND,Gig with the NBA Memphis Grizzlies,HC at ND

Tina Thompson: WNBA star,4x WNBA Champion,2x Olympian,short gig at Texas now Head Coach of UV

Kara Lawson: WNBA All-star,WNBA Champion '05,Olympian,NBA & CBB Analyst,NBA assistant Coach,Head coach of Duke.

SEC women coaches:
Dawn Staley: ABL(before the WNBA),WNBA star,3x Olympian,HC at Temple,HC at USC

Nikki Fargras: Assistant Coach at various colleges,HC at LSU

Kellie Harper: 4th round WNBA pick,Assistant Coach at various places,HC at Western Carolina,NC State,Missouri State and Now Tennessee

Nikki McCray: ABL Star,WNBA Star, AC at USC,HC at ODU and now HC at Miss State

Yolett McPhee-McCuin: Various AC at Div 1 programs,HC at Jacksonville University and HC at Ole Miss

Kristy Curry: Various AC at Div 1 programs,HC at Purdue and currently HC at Alabama

Joni Taylor:Various AC at Div 1 programs,HC at UGA

Stephanie White: WNBA player(short career),AC at various Div 1 colleges,WNBA Assistant Coach(5yrs) WNBA Coach (she coached Tamika Catchings) NBA&CBB Analyst now HC at Vandy

Robin Pingeton: WNBA Player (3 seasons),Various AC at Div 1 programs,HC at Illinois now HC at Mizzou

Terri Williams-Flournoy: Various AC at Div 1 program,HC at GeorgeTown,Team USA assistant coach,now HC at Auburn

Last edited:
Kara Lawson, What players dose she have at Duke. In the 2020 class only one player that I know of. Vanessa DeJesus, PG. # 37 over all. In 2021 Marisa Davis, W # 100 over all. Don't look like she has much coming in the next two classes?
Agree, I also consider:
what can she do with what she has
How many will jump ship and create a huge recruiting class for next year

NashVol11

Gloomed to Fail
He's right, I've seen negavol, trolls and proven fans,,,all,,touting Kara as the one that got away
And FP, nor I, need cite posters name...do your own reading/research please
“Touting Kara as the one that got away” is not the same as “saying she will be the greatest coach in history and Kellie is a certain failure.” Not one person has said that, which is why you’ll never be able to provide evidence

NashVol11

Gloomed to Fail
Is there anything in that post said that I wanted to say that Kellie was better anyway? It seems like that something you made up out of straw. There's most certainly different tone on this board from with Nikki was hired at Miss St than it was when Kara was hired at Duke.
You certainly get awfully defensive about Kellie when literally no one is insulting her, so I would think that’s the reason why. STL said her picks for coach were Kara and someone else and you got all mad about “denigrating Kellie” lol

NashVol11

Gloomed to Fail
You have nice deflecting skills too.
From what? Kara Lawson is one of the most prominent figures in women's basketball, is one of a handful of female assistant coaches in NBA history and clearly knows the game of basketball. It makes sense that some are sad about her not being here and that's not a slam to anyone.

NashVol11

Gloomed to Fail
Just thought it worth sharing:
Will Lawson look to the former Lady Vol coaching tree? Maybe someone like past teammate and current Kentucky associate head coach Kyra Elzy, who played at Tennessee from 1996-2001? Elzy is a top recruiter with 18 years of experience as an assistant at Western Kentucky, Kansas, Kentucky and Tennessee.

For that matter, might Lawson be interested in bringing her former coach Warlick, who had so much success as Summitt's top assistant for so long? Warlick, who was let go by Tennessee as head coach in 2019, said if Lawson called, she'd go to Duke as an assistant. But she knows a lot will be swirling in Lawson's mind as she makes these decisions.
What are Kara Lawson's five biggest priorities as Duke's new head coach?

sccshortstop

I remember when we were in our hiring phase a very deep inside LV poster stated that Kara let it be known she was not interested in being the LV head coach! Either she did or didnt but if she was interested and Phil did not give her due process and Kelli does flop( which i dont expect) he screwed the goose. Kara did say she had always wanted to be a coach and specifically a DUKE coach.. I really think we should end this thread and let Kara operate on the Duke board!

MsSportsGuy

The Lawson hire is intriguing to say the least. I'm a big fan of her as a commentator and also when she was playing. Lawson has enough natural intelligence to make her successful at almost anything she tries. However, I am surprised a program like Duke hired someone with zero college experience and very little experience coaching. Lawson has name recognition and plenty of knowledge but that alone doesn't make a program a winner. Whoever she hires for her staff will be crucial.

I do think Duke can carve a niche out for themselves as a destination like Stanford for top players who are also fantastic students. They have been very successful before and can be again. It remains to be seen if Lawson is the person to lead them back to a place among the top programs. The ACC as a conference is pretty loaded.

GameTime

She is now the enemy in women's college basketball.....

Damn guys, we don't praise other teams coaches....She will try and kick out butts every chance she gets....

If and when she comes back to us, then she is one of us again.

Last edited:

VN Store

Sponsors