It's official Kara Lawson hired

Terrells Bay88

Why are ya'll slamming Kara Lawson??? Nikki McCrais also a Lady Vol and she's the HC of Mississippi State and she didnt get this hostile treatment!!!
Kellie wasn't slammed when Nikki was named the head coach of Miss. St either like she is now by some LV fans because Kara was hired by Duke.

volman128

Kellie was the right choice.

Kara has never even sat on the bench of a college women’s basketball game as a coach, much less as a head coach. Neither has she recruited to or ran the administrative side of a CWBB program.

Failure at any one of those three skills will equal bad results at Duke.

She is a VFL and I wish her the best of luck, except of course when she’s playing us.
It's not as if Kellie has set the world on fire as HC. Fargas would've been just as good of a choice, TBH, because at least she has coached in the SEC and in two major conferences. And I'm not big on her as a HC.

It's interesting that MSU and Duke have made big gambles with their hires of former LVs, while Tennessee went with the safest pick available. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, especially if Kellie doesn't do well at Tennessee and Nikki and Kara do well at their respective programs.

EarlVolFan

Really? She took a mid-major team to the Sweet Sixteen.

If you want to talk about not setting the world on fire as a head coach, Fargas would be a textbook example... and LSU is paying her a million dollars a year.

It's not as if Kellie has set the world on fire as HC. Fargas would've been just as good of a choice, TBH, because at least she has coached in the SEC and in two major conferences. And I'm not big on her as a HC.

It's interesting that MSU and Duke have made big gambles with their hires of former LVs, while Tennessee went with the safest pick available. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, especially if Kellie doesn't do well at Tennessee and Nikki and Kara do well at their respective programs.

Last edited:

lfvol

He did not want her at Tennessee and didn't even see Kara play in person until late in her senior year at UT. He wanted her at Stanford.
What exactly does where her father preferred have to do with Kara? She came here. She loved TN. She reps it whenever possible. And she was asked to be on the BOT so she is highly respected by people that matter.

Really? She took a mid-major team to the Sweet Sixteen. The last time that happened? 2007

If you want to talk about not setting the world on fire as a head coach, Fargas would be a textbook example... and LSU is paying her a million dollars a year.
Not to knock what she did at Missouri State, but South Dakota State was also in the sweet 16 in 2019.

Buffalo and Central Michigan were there in 2018...

Quinnipiac in 2017...

Last edited:

EarlVolFan

Yes, that’s correct. My eyes crossed looking at that chart on Wikipedia!

Still an accomplishment and not that common.

BTW, it was South Dakota State that made it in 2019. ;)

Not to knock what she did at Missouri State, but South Dakota was also in the sweet 16 in 2019.

Buffalo and Central Michigan were there in 2018...

Quinnipiac in 2017...

Weezer

VolNation Dalai Lama
I only pop in here from time to time, but is the infighting and tearing down our current staff over who we didn't hire become commonplace? Kellie's our coach until she's not, and I sincerely hope she can return us to at least something close to what we once were. All Lady Vol fans should want that.

Congrats to Kara. Hope she finds success as well, and loses to us in a National Championship game.

BigDave

Lawson's father didn't want her to play for Tennessee.
As I have stated previously, Kara's father, to my recollection, did not say anything along those lines during our conversations. He did talk alot about Kara, how she played and that he respected Pat.

I am not debating whether or not he wanted Kara to attend college somewhere else, I am only conveying what our conversations were.

GBO

GameTime

I only pop in here from time to time, but is the infighting and tearing down our current staff over who we didn't hire become commonplace? Kellie's our coach until she's not, and I sincerely hope she can return us to at least something close to what we once were. All Lady Vol fans should want that.

Congrats to Kara. Hope she finds success as well, and loses to us in a National Championship game.
When the news of Lawson came out that she was most likely going to be Duke's coach, the Lady Vol Forum became like a "mini mob" of mostly unknown posters, that don't post here regularly...They were proclaiming her the next Pat Summitt, and expressing their displeasure with Coach Kellie because she did not please their desires in her one year here...

Then, when Lawson was hired, the mob got even more hungry to support Lawson as the greatest that ever was, before she even began.....So DUMB!

savannahfan

I look at this hire/taking a job somewhat in a different light....
I don't know for sure, but from what I see and here on this always factual site:rolleyes:, Lawson was approached for our job. If this is was the case, why didn't she come if she was truly wanting to coach college ball? Watching this Duke hire unfold these thoughts come to mind.
1. Whoever came in here would still be carrying the "Pat" legacy. Big extra load.
2. The perceived (or actual) disorganized situation regarding the women's program.
3. The always expected pressure to "win'um all" that the fan base projects and has ways to make life tough. (this site is one way)
4. Coming in at a time when getting to the level of So. Car. and maybe Miss. St. or Ky. could take a couple to a few years.

In other words, UT may have been more than she felt she was ready for or just too big for her or more pressure than she wanted, OR maybe just scared to fail. Whatever the cause, I wish her well as I do all former Vols in all sports.
This being said, WE GOT A COACH NOT AFRAID OF ANYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH B BALL AND BLEEDS TENNESSEE AND LADY VOL BASKETBALL!!! GO GET'UM KELLIE AND LADY VOLS!!!!

PRG

Kellie wasn't slammed when Nikki was named the head coach of Miss. St either like she is now by some LV fans because Kara was hired by Duke.
I have to admit I was ecstatic when Holly got let go ! And all of the guessing and discussion s about previous players . Candace (my favorite) , Catch , Kara , this was an exciting time for all of us that love the Lady Vols ! But after listening to Kara describe in game situations on television...... I was convinced this woman understands this game and gave positive feedback on how to handle these situations! I was sold on her needing to be our new coach . JMO

Bottom line .... you have to get good players plus be able to coach them . Which Holly got good players but just whistled at them and put her hands on her hips or threw up her hands in disgust. I believe Kara will do well at Duke . She has one of the best basketball minds and a resume of playing at all levels ! What recruit would not want to play for her ...... plus now she can sell scholarships at Duke , (a prestigious academic university) which is exactly what dad wanted for her to do a few years back ! I know dad is happy,,, so am I ! 🤔

JohnWardForever

It’s headline material. I think it’s worthy of a thread, personally. Some might not make it through the end of the other one to realize she’s been hired. I probably wouldn’t have.

Anyway. Congrats to Kara.
Bravo. I don't understand the itching over it. Kara is a VFL; and who knows down the road?

JohnWardForever

Lawson's father didn't want her to play for Tennessee.
True. He wanted her to go to Stanford or some other More Prestigious University that would challenge Kara's Aptitude more than UT. He is a very Bright Man; but Kara turned out just fine. And---It seems Stanford is more into Indoctrination than Education anyways.

mike099

Does anyone know for sure who was asked to interview for the Tennessee job and how many actually interviewed?
Concerning recruiting at Duke, are the academic requirements close to Stanford?

VN Store

Sponsors