It's official Kara Lawson hired

Franklin Pierce

Kara will do well at Duke! I was fortunate to meet and spend a few nights talking to her father at a hotel bar in Indiana, a very nice gentleman that spoke none stop about Kara. When he looked at my UT class ring, we were instant friends!

Good luck to Kara and Duke, unless they play the Lady Vols!

GBO
Lawson's father didn't want her to play for Tennessee.

Franklin Pierce

During our conversations I do not recall him saying that, this was during Kara's Junior year. I do recall that he respected Pat, that she truly did care for and love her players not just on the court but them as young ladies and students.

GBO
For Kara Lawson, her senior year of high school was the hardest. Her father Bill had always been a fixture at her basketball games.

Now, he refused to go.

"That was really hard," Lawson said. "Everyone in town and everyone at every game was used to having my dad there and was always asking, 'Where's your dad?' "

For 3 1/2 years, Bill Lawson did not go to his daughter's games. He banned orange from his house. He refused to sign her letter of intent to go to Tennessee.

LAWSON REWROTE FATHER'S GAME PLAN

BigDave

For Kara Lawson, her senior year of high school was the hardest. Her father Bill had always been a fixture at her basketball games.

Now, he refused to go.

"That was really hard," Lawson said. "Everyone in town and everyone at every game was used to having my dad there and was always asking, 'Where's your dad?' "

For 3 1/2 years, Bill Lawson did not go to his daughter's games. He banned orange from his house. He refused to sign her letter of intent to go to Tennessee.

LAWSON REWROTE FATHER'S GAME PLAN
Again, I do not recall him saying anything negative about Kara going to UT and definitely not against Pat. The latter would have drawn my ire, Pat did her student teaching at my school and she worked with Coach Cowick and the girls basketball team . . . Back in the day of the "3 on 3" format.

GBO

CannonVol80

She did a pre-emptive slam on Tennessee knowing she had the Duke job to hurt Tennesse'
s recruiting.
Are you big into conspiracy theories? The Duke job wasn't even available when Kara made her observation - an accurate one, by the way - about the lack of diversity in the head coaching positions at Tennessee.

I really don't understand the negative comments on this board about Kara's hiring at Duke. Nor do I understand the need of some of the not so regular posters to use Kara's hiring at Duke as an opportunity to take a swipe at Coach Harper. It seems like this would be one of those times that "If you can't say something good, it would be better not to say anything at all!"

Just my opinion,

Jim

EarlVolFan

Kellie was the right choice.

Kara has never even sat on the bench of a college women’s basketball game as a coach, much less as a head coach. Neither has she recruited to or ran the administrative side of a CWBB program.

Failure at any one of those three skills will equal bad results at Duke.

She is a VFL and I wish her the best of luck, except of course when she’s playing us.

She was my first choice for the LV job....and I have never wavered. I have a feeling we will regret not making her our choice.

madtownvol

Are you big into conspiracy theories? The Duke job wasn't even available when Kara made her observation - an accurate one, by the way - about the lack of diversity in the head coaching positions at Tennessee.

I really don't understand the negative comments on this board about Kara's hiring at Duke. Nor do I understand the need of some of the not so regular posters to use Kara's hiring at Duke as an opportunity to take a swipe at Coach Harper. It seems like this would be one of those times that "If you can't say something good, it would be better not to say anything at all!"

Just my opinion,

Jim

And Kellie is showing that she can effectively recruit at this level. Duke is a great opportunity for Kara but time will tell if she was the right hire. The same can be said about Kellie but she is accruing a lot of positives.

She was my first choice for the LV job....and I have never wavered. I have a feeling we will regret not making her our choice.
Can you say, Stephanie White...At least with Coach K we know we got a coach who has shown she can coach collegiate ball.

Kara has never even sat on the bench of a college women’s basketball game as a coach, much less as a head coach. Neither has she recruited to or ran the administrative side of a CWBB program.

She is a VFL and I wish her the best of luck, except of course when she’s playing us.
I wish Kara success....Just, from afar.
Until she proves something, she's proved nothing

I back Coach K,
and I mean the one who's name sounds like it begins with a K,
not SH

TNRazor

You nailed it. When CPF interviewed her the only coaching experience she actually had was some 3 on 3 tournament, this was even before she took the Celtics job. There's no way he could have given her the job over CKH, Wes Moore, or even Tina Langley. She'll do fine at Duke but I think CKH will do a great job with our ladies also

Peas29

Fargas would’ve been the right choice then Lawson... it’s not like kellie has had this prolific coaching career...

lvocd

Interesting piece in the Duke Chronicle. In it the writer implies that it’s up to Duke admins whether or not Kara keeps the staff she’s inheriting. Maybe that’s not the writer meant, but it certainly is implied in these two praragraphs:

“Lawson is going to need all the help she can get. She’s inheriting a coaching staff with only two assistants with significant recruiting experience, on a team whose recruiting prowess has recently regressed. Even if she nails the tactical and developmental sides of the game—which seems a fair likelihood—how will someone so removed from the game be able to go into Raleigh and New York and California and recruit the nation’s best?

It’s possible that Duke moves on from several of its remaining assistants and surrounds Lawson with recruiters, but that’d require letting go of some great talent and severing connections with current players. It’s possible that it keeps its assistant staff, but then what’s changed? The fact remains that the Blue Devils still lack in the most important aspect of the game.”

Full story link:

Kara Lawson comes with big question marks as next Duke women's basketball head coach

volman128

During our conversations I do not recall him saying that, this was during Kara's Junior year. I do recall that he respected Pat, that she truly did care for and love her players not just on the court but them as young ladies and students.

GBO
He did not want her at Tennessee and didn't even see Kara play in person until late in her senior year at UT. He wanted her at Stanford.

VN Store

Sponsors