"It's Great To Be..." Song

SyracuseVol

Hey all... as part of my Nashville trip I took in the UT-MTSU game tonight. Great orange turnout. It was great to see Vol Nation so proud and representing the hoops team.

That being said, I have a bit of a weird question that the football fans can also answer to.

I'm not from TN, haven't been to a TN game since 2001, so the whole thing of singing "It's Great... To be... a Tennessee Vol!" struck me as weird. I've heard it when watching UT football games recently on TV too.

When did this start? I always thought it was more of a Gators thing. "It's Great... to be.. a Florida Gator"

I've got to be honest that I'm not a huge fan of it, but I guess in a road basketball game like that with no Rocky Top I guess it's better than nothing.

As far as I know it has been sung since at least the turn of the millennium. I like it, its a fun thing to do. Its not just a Florida thing, every school does it. No matter what campus you go to, you will hear that its great to be a "Auburn Tiger", "Georgia Bulldog", "Florida Gator", "Clemson Tiger", or "Tennessee Vol"...

It started in the 80's at UT. When I moved here 12 years ago, Gators were not doing it. All the sudden, that's the only chant they did. They stole it from us!

I was just left of the MTSU student section...they changed it to their version...

"It great to be from Middle Tennessee...I said it's great to be from Middle Tennessee."

OK, it's good to know that we didn't steal it from anyone. That being said... umm... I still think it's lame. But to each his own, I guess I'm in the minority.:dunno:

As far as I know it has been sung since at least the turn of the millennium. I like it, its a fun thing to do. Its not just a Florida thing, every school does it. No matter what campus you go to, you will hear that its great to be a "Auburn Tiger", "Georgia Bulldog", "Florida Gator", "Clemson Tiger", or "Tennessee Vol"...

I have heard it from Gerogia and Florida fans. As you say, I think most have their version

I think it is pretty cool,

I think every high school and college in America has a version of that chant. I've heard it for as long as I can remember.

VN Store

Back