It's Ancient History, But As Holly Departs

montbb47

I've had a question lingering for years about her selection. In Pat's last year as Coach I have this memory of Pat standing outside of in game huddles and the coach in the huddle was Mickie DeMoss. To me she was the natural successor. I never understood how Holly came to pass. Can anyone enlighten me?

Well she wasn't at UT when Pat retired for starters.

Also I don't think Mickie has any desire to be a HC again after what happened at UK.

Holly was her top assistant and never left.

Holly was associate head coach and took over when Pat retired with the blessings of the then AD and never left until now. I forget what that AD's name is now but he was always foaming at the mouth about how great Holly was as a coach. If he was still here she would be too.

Well she wasn't at UT when Pat retired for starters.

Also I don't think Mickie has any desire to be a HC again after what happened at UK.
I'm pretty sure she left though when Warlick was named the next coach. I don't think DeMoss was ever a fan of Warlick being named the next coach--remember how she snubbed her this year?
This is probably an unfair assumption, but by the time Summitt was named Coach emeritus, Summitt must've already been experiencing significant cognitive decline. In my mind Warlick was named HC as a product of Pat's cognitive decline. Before she experienced that decline, maybe she knew deep down that Warlick wasn't cut out to be a head coach. I choose to believe that because in hindsight, naming Warlick HC was maybe Pat's poorest basketball decision of her career (except for canceling the UConn series.)

Reactions: montbb47
She had already announced her departure before Holly was announced, but I guess in hindsight you're probably right.

Still, I don't think Mickie ever wants to be a HC again. Otherwise I think she would've moved into a HC role sometime after Kentucky.

Reactions: Undercovervol
I'm pretty sure she left though when Warlick was named the next coach. I don't think DeMoss was ever a fan of Warlick being named the next coach--remember how she snubbed her this year?
This is probably an unfair assumption, but by the time Summitt was named Coach emeritus, Summitt must've already been experiencing significant cognitive decline. In my mind Warlick was named HC as a product of Pat's cognitive decline. Before she experienced that decline, maybe she knew deep down that Warlick wasn't cut out to be a head coach. I choose to believe that because in hindsight, naming Warlick HC was maybe Pat's poorest basketball decision of her career (except for canceling the UConn series.)

Pat didn't want to have to be that close to slimeball Geno; and I don't blame her one bit.

Reactions: Smallvol#1

That has always been a lingering suspicion of mine; a healthy Pat would have not made the choice. I've always wondered, too, if a diminished Pat was pushed into that choice.

For years folks have been saying Pat picked Holly to replace her, but if you read Pat's last book, Pat doesn't say that at all. She tells a totally different story.

If I recall correctly, they go on vacation and while walking on the beach, Holly tells Pat that she wants to succeed her. She wants the job and Pat's response seems to be "umm...ok." And she goes along with it. It is not stated like Pat suggests it, it appears to be all Holly's idea.

While reading that, to me, it felt like Pat didn't want to hurt Holly and basically agreed with it.

Maybe someone with better info can shed light on this?

She was the greatest BBall coach of all time IMO. As a coach getting into the AD's "lane" and making the replacement hire ... all I'll say is, not so much. Their is still no legitimate reason that has ever been given for the UConn/UT ban. I even tried to start a thread and manage it a several years back asking for the real reason. Nothing came forth and I got so much vitriol and abuse for asking and surmising, that it was pretty sad. The stock response is "If Pat don't wanna say, then you're disrespecting her by even asking". Lulz. Cancelling that series is a pretty big deal to just cover up the reason.

I would still like for someone to reveal the REAL reason behind it. "Maya Moore's recruitment" is not a real answer. I've heard some "politically incorrect" rumors @ it but nobody here collaborated any of it. So ... anyone?

Reactions: 1reVOLver
She was the greatest BBall coach of all time IMO. As a coach getting into the AD's "lane" and making the replacement hire ... all I'll say is, not so much. Their is still no legitimate reason that has ever been given for the UConn/UT ban. I even tried to start a thread and manage it a several years back asking for the real reason. Nothing came forth and I got so much vitriol and abuse for asking and surmising, that it was pretty sad. The stock response is "If Pat don't wanna say, then you're disrespecting her by even asking". Lulz. Cancelling that series is a pretty big deal to just cover up the reason.

I would still like for someone to reveal the REAL reason behind it. "Maya Moore's recruitment" is not a real answer. I've heard some "politically incorrect" rumors @ it but nobody here collaborated any of it. So ... anyone?
I think it was about Moore's recruitment and Summitt's perceived improprieties Geno allegedly committed...the fact that he was vindicated by the NCAA and yet people on this board still call him a slime ball is pretty sad imo. You can find a lot of articles about it. I think he arranged for her to tour ESPN studios that are close to UConn's campus. Regardless, as UConn came to dominate WCBB during the time Summitt canceled the game, UT fell off the elite map.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Raoul knows.

But he ain't sayin'.
8575263-angry-hispanic-man-with-duct-tape-over-his-mouth.jpg

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back