It seems we have gotten worse

With free throws. Or is it a condition of the offensive slump we've been in?
Oh we have definitely gotten worse. Now, the reason is up for debate, but the fact is we are, BY FAR, the worst FT shooting team Barnes has had at Tennessee.

66.5% in 21-22...12th in SEC
74.6% in 20-21...3rd in SEC
74.9% in 19-20...5th in SEC
75.4% in 18-19...2nd in SEC
75.7% in 17-18...2nd in SEC
72.9% in 16-17...6th in SEC
72.5% in 15-16...2nd in SEC

Oh we have definitely gotten worse. Now, the reason is up for debate, but the fact is we are, BY FAR, the worst FT shooting team Barnes has had at Tennessee.

A couple of percentage points from those numbers and I wouldn’t be terribly concerned, but this is terribly concerning.

Free throws have gone the way of the ten foot jumper, obsolete! If it’s not a dunk or a 3 pointer, they don’t practice it. So tired of watching guards drive to the bucket (then not take the layup) and throw it out for a missed 3 or a turnover. Looks a lot like NBA Jr. Ball. (Which I personally am not fond of).

This team plays tight. It's evident in their body language. When they shoot they're hoping to make it instead of expecting to make it. Now it's bleeding over to foul shots as well. We don't have a post presence that ever requires a double team therefore really great looks at a three are hard to come by. Confidence suffers and it has snowballed.
IMO

Free throws have gone the way of the ten foot jumper, obsolete! If it’s not a dunk or a 3 pointer, they don’t practice it. So tired of watching guards drive to the bucket (then not take the layup) and throw it out for a missed 3 or a turnover. Looks a lot like NBA Jr. Ball. (Which I personally am not fond of).
I guarantee you they practice free throws.

One thing that was concerning or telling from last night's game was Chandler's reaction to the 3 James made at the end of the half. He had none. You didn't see it live but it jumped out at me on the replay

He looks like he's miserable. Why? I have my ideas but I obviously don't know for anywhere near certain.

This team plays tight. It's evident in their body language. When they shoot they're hoping to make it instead of expecting to make it. Now it's bleeding over to foul shots as well. We don't have a post presence that ever requires a double team therefore really great looks at a three are hard to come by. Confidence suffers and it has snowballed.
IMO
We get wide open looks from 3 all the time ....for the guys who are struggling to make them. Other teams know who is shooting in the high teens/lwo twenties from deep.

Reactions: cardvolfan
One thing that was concerning or telling from last night's game was Chandler's reaction to the 3 James made at the end of the half. He had none. You didn't see it live but it jumped out at me on the replay

He looks like he's miserable. Why? I have my ideas but I obviously don't know for anywhere near certain.
Probably disappointed because we were in a tight ball game against a trash team at halftime whenever we should’ve been up by at least 15 points? Or he was disappointed because he wasn’t making his free throws?

I saw it and I remember thinking that was an interesting reaction to a shot like that. I won't speculate as to why he reacted that way. I just know that when I saw it, it struck me as being odd.

I saw it and I remember thinking that was an interesting reaction to a shot like that. I won't speculate as to why he reacted that way. I just know that when I saw it, it struck me as being odd.
The play where Santi made the steal and took a contested shot as Chandler filled the right side of the lane was similar. No reaction at all. Disclaimer: I might be wrong, but pretty sure I saw that. He doesn’t seem to be having fun.

The thing with Chandler is that if he's frustrated, there are things that he can control, including FT's. Right now, he's not even doing that well.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Free throws have gone the way of the ten foot jumper, obsolete! If it’s not a dunk or a 3 pointer, they don’t practice it. So tired of watching guards drive to the bucket (then not take the layup)and throw it out for a missed 3 or a turnover. Looks a lot like NBA Jr. Ball. (Which I personally am not fond of).

The game is suffering IMO. Hard to watch NBA at all. Coming quickly to college ranks. The math cannot be ignored. The people railing on the 3 pointer in the late 70s we're actually correct. Just took a while.

The game is suffering IMO. Hard to watch NBA at all. Coming quickly to college ranks. The math cannot be ignored. The people railing on the 3 pointer in the late 70s we're actually correct. Just took a while.

College basketball is worse, especially when you factor referees. At least the NBA has consistently good shooters. College basketball doesn’t.

The thing with Chandler is that if he's frustrated, there are things that he can control, including FT's. Right now, he's not even doing that well.
I started noticing his reactions to missed shots, not getting foul calls, turnovers, ect early on in the season. He would immediately turn towards Barnes with an "uh oh" look on his face. If people still have the games recorded go back and see.

You can't coach every player the same and get the same results. It worked with Bone and others. Not sure it's working with. Chandler.

I started noticing his reactions to missed shots, not getting foul calls, turnovers, ect early on in the season. He would immediately turn towards Barnes with an "uh oh" look on his face. If people still have the games recorded go back and see.

You can't coach every player the same and get the same results. It worked with Bone and others. Not sure it's working with. Chandler.

The one thing I would counter with is that I would think Chandler knew what he signed up for. He and his dad did their research when being recruited and spoke to other people about his final schools.

The one thing I would counter with is that I would think Chandler knew what he signed up for. He and his dad did their research when being recruited and spoke to other people about his final schools.

Yeah Barnes is one of the harder coaches to play for, this is pretty well known.

But sometimes you think you can handle it, or your parents say you’re tough enough, then you there and realize you don’t like that type of coaching. Which could or could not happening. But sometimes you think everything is gonna go perfect and then things change.

No doubt he thought he did. Who knows if he really did. It could be like marriage.

The shooting slump is in all of their heads at this point. They are all thinking about what will happen if they miss, again.

KC better toss any bad attitude out the window as he currently is playing himself out of a lottery pick which will cost him $millions. There is no bs excuse for an elite guard to not be able to step up to the line every single time and hit a minimum of 70%. KC missed 2 front ends of 1&1’s along with all his other misses. CRB has absolutely given KC a longer leash than last season’s 1&1 guys. I have no clue what’s going on with KC but I’ve been noticing the same change in body language. Maybe he was happier because his shots were falling and now he’s struggling a bit, IDK? All this excuse making for him that CRB isn’t coddling him enough if true puts his mental toughness into question which will hurt his perceived value to the NBA. Im no scout, but to this point I haven’t seen enough to make me think he’s a can’t miss NBA pg worthy of a lottery pick. I hope he gets it together soon as it appears we will go as far as he carries us this season.

VN Store

Back