It really is amazing how many strength coaches we’ve had

All I remember from Butch’s time here was a decimated team yearly, starting in the preseason, and getting worse throughout the season, no matter the strength coach.

S&C was always a problem while he was here. One of a laundry list of issues under Jones, which we are all familiar with.

Pruitt and Fitzgerald made leaps in this department in short order. Hate to see Fitz go.

Reactions: gunner and FLVOL_79
All I remember from Butch’s time here was a decimated team yearly, starting in the preseason, and getting worse throughout the season, no matter the strength coach.

S&C was always a problem while he was here. One of a laundry list of issues under Jones, which we are all familiar with.

Pruitt and Fitzgerald made leaps in this department in short order. Hate to see Fitz go.

Disagree. Lawson had guys able to go 4 quarters and then some (we played tons of OT games and hung around).

The problem was that Butch recruited 230 lb offensive lineman and thought that it would be better for them to be Twinkletoes and agile than to be roadgraders.

Lawson is as good as a man as they come, knew him personally. And he was a great strength coach. And I'm pretty certain if offered he would come back here.

The problem is that Butch had ZERO idea had SEC ball worked. And he tried to bring a game of quickness and misdirection into a conference where power running and defense are king.

It wasnt a S&C issue. It was a style and system issue. And a coach who cared more about the way things were perceived than the way things actually are.

Disagree. Lawson had guys able to go 4 quarters and then some (we played tons of OT games and hung around).

The problem was that Butch recruited 230 lb offensive lineman and thought that it would be better for them to be Twinkletoes and agile than to be roadgraders.

Lawson is as good as a man as they come, knew him personally. And he was a great strength coach. And I'm pretty certain if offered he would come back here.

The problem is that Butch had ZERO idea had SEC ball worked. And he tried to bring a game of quickness and misdirection into a conference where power running and defense are king.

It wasnt a S&C issue. It was a style and system issue. And a coach who cared more about the way things were perceived than the way things actually are.

Vols led nation in missed starts last two

Tennessee Football: Ranking the Volunteers' 5 Most Impactful Injuries in 2015

Man, i just don’t have that same recollection. And, I doubt anyone else does either.

I don’t disagree with one thing you said about Jones ——- all true, but the results were what they were.

Last edited:
I would like to see Tennessee give the next strength and conditioning coach a 4 or 5 year contract so we have some stability.

Reactions: Tnphil
I would like to see Tennessee give the next strength and conditioning coach a 4 or 5 year contract so we have some stability.
His contract wasn’t the reason Fitz left. It was always going to be a year to year thing.

Agreed losing Fitz was huge. But, why did he leave and return to the NFL and who does Pruitt replace him with? Does Pruitt go after another home run hire? Or does he hire from within and hope there isn’t much of a difference?

Reactions: feathersax
Back in those days, Freshmen did not play Varsity Football.

During Stuckey's years? Yes they did. Freshman not playing varsity games came to an end after the Marshall plane crash. Stuckey was S&C coach in the 90s. In 78, Hubert Simpson and James Berry played as freshmen.

Did the conclusion of his tenure here with Butch taint his ability at future employment (here or elsewhere in a job of similar stature)?

This next hire will be Tennessee’s 8th different strength coach since 2009. Granted, we’ve had a lot of different head coaches, but it’s interesting too look back at some of the different names.

Aaron Ausmus 2009
Benny Wylie 2010
Ron McKeefery 2011-12
Dave Lawson 2013-16
Mike Szerszen 2016
Rock Gullickson 2017
Craig Fitzgerald 2018-20

source: Vols are no strangers to changing strength coaches

Remember when John Stuckey was with Tennessee from 1994 until 2002? Those were some prime years of Tennessee football.
Yep Johnny Long was Stuckeys student. He fell when Fulmer got canned. Also many don’t know Billy Beron’s brothers-in-law was on our mid 90’s staff. None other than Tommy Moffitt LSu’s S.C. Coach.

VN Store

Back