It really is amazing how many strength coaches we’ve had

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
This next hire will be Tennessee’s 8th different strength coach since 2009. Granted, we’ve had a lot of different head coaches, but it’s interesting too look back at some of the different names.

Aaron Ausmus 2009
Benny Wylie 2010
Ron McKeefery 2011-12
Dave Lawson 2013-16
Mike Szerszen 2016
Rock Gullickson 2017
Craig Fitzgerald 2018-20

source: Vols are no strangers to changing strength coaches

Remember when John Stuckey was with Tennessee from 1994 until 2002? Those were some prime years of Tennessee football.

Coaching changes are just what happens now in college football. I'll be happy if Tennessee hires AJ Artis,Byron Jerideau or both as the next S&C coach.

Reactions: DuckinVol
This next hire will be Tennessee’s 8th different strength coach since 2009. Granted, we’ve had a lot of different head coaches, but it’s interesting too look back at some of the different names.

Aaron Ausmus 2009
Benny Wylie 2010
Ron McKeefery 2011-12
Dave Lawson 2013-16
Mike Szerszen 2016
Rock Gullickson 2017
Craig Fitzgerald 2018-20

Remember when John Stuckey was with Tennessee from 1994 until 2002? Those were some prime years of Tennessee football.

Fitz obviously seemed to do a fantastic job in the short time he was here. Hate losing him. Am I the only one that thought Dave Lawson did a pretty good job too? Our teams under Dave appeared to be very well conditioned and looked like they took a step up in just physical appearance too (granted he came in and inherited probably somewhat of a lackluster S&C program after the Dooley era) It always seemed like after Butch tried to replace Lawson our S&C program took a drastic nose dive. Then again can we honestly actually think of a good hire Butch ever made when he supposedly was making an "upgrade." Closest hire I can think of even being halfway successful is Debord after Bajakian left... But lets be honest that was more Dobbs.

Not many were aware...because most didn’t know who the hell he was...that Fitz was a rockstar hire. When it was hinted that Pruitt’s S&C would be a “game changer” and Fitz was announced, there was a lot of cartoon question marks above fans heads. Recently and definitely during the season, I read plenty of questioning of the team’s development and when were we going to see the results. Now he’s irreplaceable! It’s our contrarian nature and our need to see ourselves in unique plights that dramatize this tragedy. Not going to sneeze derision at a PROVEN hire, but give me someone who can do the job and charge em up AND not be the top choice for a hire every season, and I’ll be ecstatic. Most S&C guys aren’t an easy or possible name drop for opposing fanbases (I had no idea who Fitz was much less that he had been SC’s guy), but we know the Moffit’s and Cochran’s because of their RESULTS and long tenures. We also know Iowa’s S&C coach is primo and highly compensated, but I can’t place his name without Google...and Google wasn’t even an established thing when he was hired. Give me that.

I wonder what John stuckeys doing these days? Those were grown ass men looking players

The only problem was it "time" he was here. Lots of things besides weights and good food were going into "strength and conditioning" during those years.....

... We also know Iowa’s S&C coach is primo and highly compensated, but I can’t place his name without Google...and Google wasn’t even an established thing when he was hired. Give me that.

It sure helps the guy (didn't Google him :) ) that Kirk Ferentz has been at Iowa for 20+ years.

But, I understand and agree with your point.

Reactions: butchna
It only reflects the terrible people UT had in charge during that time hiring these guys. Fitz was a good hire by Pruitt but he was NFL guy all along. Hopefully CJP can land someone good who is satisfied with the college scene, which is demanding as hell.

Reactions: OG.V83
Fitz obviously seemed to do a fantastic job in the short time he was here. Hate losing him. Am I the only one that thought Dave Lawson did a pretty good job too? Our teams under Dave appeared to be very well conditioned and looked like they took a step up in just physical appearance too (granted he came in and inherited probably somewhat of a lackluster S&C program after the Dooley era) It always seemed like after Butch tried to replace Lawson our S&C program took a drastic nose dive. Then again can we honestly actually think of a good hire Butch ever made when he supposedly was making an "upgrade." Closest hire I can think of even being halfway successful is Debord after Bajakian left... But lets be honest that was more Dobbs.
Coach Lawson was very good. When Butch asked him to dial it back because some premodna players complained Coach said No and the rift was now unfixable because of Butch stubborn nature. Down fall of his time at Tn began here. His replacement was weak and we see the results that followed.

Time to go get THIS Guy...

79f305dc9feb597f9aa94b08b1b34b8b.gif

Aaron Ausmus 2009
Benny Wylie 2010
Ron McKeefery 2011-12
Dave Lawson 2013-16
Mike Szerszen 2016
Rock Gullickson 2017
Craig Fitzgerald 2018-20

John Stuckey! Exactly and kudos to you for remembering him. Whenever I think of S&C and Tennessee football, especially third-and-goals at the one and goal-line stands, I think of John Stuckey. This was when we were pushing around everybody on the field. Lord have mercy if we find another one like him.

John Stuckey! Exactly and kudos to you for remembering him. Whenever I think of S&C and Tennessee football, especially third-and-goals at the one and goal-line stands, I think of John Stuckey. This was when we were pushing around everybody on the field. Lord have mercy if we find another one like him.

I do believe that Johnny Long, who took over for John Stuckey (Stucky?) when he retired, might be available. It may be that he’s on Pruitt’s list of initial targets...

Carson-Newman (Johnny Long bio)

Last edited:
Hmmm...see a trend here...S&C coach sticks around more than two years, team gets better as evidenced by win-loss record.
But it could be just me reading into it too hard.

Id like to know the real story of what happened between Butch and Lawson? I have a feeling quite a few know, but everyone went underground on this story. Statute of limitations has to be up by now if applicable

VN Store

Back