Is this the best Tennessee basketball team ever?

jarnol32

To be the man you gotta beat the man.
Honestly I can’t think of another Tennessee team that could’ve beat a good sec team by 20 while getting 4 points from their best player.

It's a given that we've had better talent, but I don't think watching for 50 years I've seen a team that can make on the fly adjustments like this team does. IQ is through the roof and not just one or 2 players. The maturity and ability to raise the game when something bad happens is something I don't remember.

its hard to escape the past! We've grown accustomed to the fact that if it is going well, then it will turn on us. If we were ahead, no matter, they will catch us!

It's different now. I am more relaxed because I now feel they are in complete control.

Like last night when we were down nine--we promptly went on a 20-4 run and put them away! The same way we did against Gonzaga.

It's nice to be able to relax and feel confident and know that "we got this coach!"

Being down by 9 and going on a 24-4 run like they were playing a high school team. Williams and Schofield on the bench, chillin'... With Turner back, this team is so deep and strong. Withstanding injuries, this could really be the best team Tennessee has ever had. I love it. Full of 3 star talent and probably wont lose 4 more games before the tourney.

87-63, 96-50, we are beating decent teams in our conference like they're preseason fun games.

A "GIGGITY" in all caps for your avatar Sir

I like that she knows one of her good qualities.

Sorry to get off topic

It is the best I've seen but it is a reasonable observation because many pundits are projecting Final Four quality. Anything can happen though.

This is the first truly championship-level squad we have put on the floor in decades, if ever. Some of Bruce Pearl teams were elite, but they lacked discipline—jacking up inadvertent threes from half court. This team’s unselfishness and conhesiveness reminds me of a Greg Popovich coached Spurs team.

The depth, smarts, teamwork, and offensive options make these guys formidable. I've recently watch some of the best Pearl team games. Bruce used controlled chaos and unbelievable motivation to create a few amazing teams too. Those can't be overlooked. 77' Vols may be up here, but BK's injury helped us out of the tourney too fast. 2000 Vols were elite and should have made the FF too, except for some pitfalls.
I believe that fundamentally this is the best UT team I've ever seen. What I noticed first last season was the take no prisoners mindset and focus against scrub teams. There is no letdown with this team. 2 seconds left last night up 23, and Barnes was using the last play to teach. They just keep working and getting better. The "one & done" teams certainly will. Hopefully we're better by March. But, keep in mind, TX fans knock on Barnes is that he fails in the big dance. Unless he breaks into the FF this season, then this will be a disappointment IMO. If we only make a S16 or EE, then that label will still be there IMO. CRB has built that level of success.

The 1916 Vols went undefeated. The Vols ended their season on a 5 day tour of Kentucky playing a game each day. That road trip included a 28-17 thrashing of Kentucky and an easy 25-20 win over Louisville. We were widely regarded as the best team in the mid-Appalachian area.

Last edited:
I’m not old enough to have watched the Ernie and Bernie teams, they were pretty awesome from what I understand.

I think this team is better thanks Pearl’s best teams. Not as talented (maybe...?) but a better overall team and much more disciplined.

I’d love to see us win our first SECT since 1979.

Nightmare for coaches around the league to game plan for. Strong inside, strong outside, kill you from the line, long bench. Did I mention they play great defense?

Reactions: LibertyVol
I’m not old enough to have watched the Ernie and Bernie teams, they were pretty awesome from what I understand.

I think this team is better thanks Pearl’s best teams. Not as talented (maybe...?) but a better overall team and much more disciplined.

I’d love to see us win our first SECT since 1979.

I watch E & B teams, that is just what they were E&B, take one out and then we were a one man team otherwise a two man team. THIS is a whole squad team. They can just keep coming at you all the time. This is a much better "team".
Granted the E&B teams had guys to support E&B, but without EorB they didn't have anyone to support and were not good enough to make it without those guys. Last night showed this team can "go" even without it's two top players.

So far I believe it is the best ever. Stay healthy (knock on wood) and I believe it will be at the end of the season, too. Such great team chemistry, unselfishness. But whatever happens, I am enjoying the hell out the ride. Recording it all. Replays will help keep good Vol thoughts alive until football season.

we can have this discussion when we finish the season. running out of things to talk about already i see. thanks, good day.

VN Store

Back