Is this the Best class ever for...

If CJG returns (and I fee that he does) the CDJ leaves. CCW coaches QBs, CJC is essentially the HC over offense and doesn’t have a skill group but will obviously spend a lot of time with QBs.

Atlanta Vol has called out the fact that CCW is more valuable than most know for recruiting and is in on many ‘20 recruits.

We have the same number of coaches as last year. It’s 10 assistant on field coaches and a head coach I believe.
Last year we had
Helton as oc and qb
Wienke as rb
Neids as te
Johnson as wr
Friend as oline

Inside backers and dc was sherrer
Outside backers was rumph
Secondary was kelly and fair
And rocker was dline
Plus Pruitt so that’s 11 as well

You're right..I was thinking it was 10 total but like you said its 11 counting CJP. We may just have 6 Offensive Coach's and 4 Defensive plus CJP. I do think Weinke Coaching RB's has hurt our RB recruiting, so I can definitely see either Johnson moving to RB's or like it was mentioned earlier hiring Jay Graham to coach RB's. We should be able to get away with just one Secondary coach with it being CJP's specially. I trust CJP so I'm sure he will get every coach where they would benefit the Players the most. I didn't see very good WR play under Johnson and he definitely wasn't landing big time receivers. We have Tee to handle that now. Just hoping CJP has a true RB Coach coaching them. Whether it's Graham or someone on his level or better we should be fine moving forward in coaching and recruiting elite RB's. Damn Ala and Ga get 2-3 elite ones every class and have them lined up ready to play. We should be able to land atleast one of those types every year. One of those 225+ pile movers with some speed have to see the opportunity they would here. With an elite QB like Bailey on board plus the elite Olineman we have coming in should make for an attractive opportunity. We need a TN Coach who has played the position, knows how to teach the position and can relate to what it takes to play RB at a high level.

Last edited:
Reactions: SweetasSoda
Has Wienke ever coached quarterbacks?

He was the QB Coach for the Rams for a year or two, but never in college. But him and Chaney coaching the QB's together wouldn't be a bad thing. Just hope we start seeing Weinke prove that he really is a great recruiter. So far he hasn't here. But CJP really wants him here and believes in him, so that's good enough for me. Plus it opens up for us to have a real RB Coach. He can coach and relate to the QB position and what it takes to play the position at an Elite Football School. He can't make that same pitch as a RB Coach and really had zero experience Coaching RB's. Atleast last season he had Hardesty, who could help teach technique at a position he played in College and the NFL. Hardesty is gone now. Weinke as the QB Coach, along with Chaney just seems like a much better fit. Now we just have to get a RB Coach. David Johnson has coached them before but seems like a great opportunity to make another huge coaching upgrade. Really excited about CJP and how much he's upgraded his staff in year 2. Something Butch promised and couldn't do in 5 yrs. We truly have a top 3-5 Recruiting and Coaching staff.

a team coming off a losing season? I have no idea but looks like the 19' classes across the country are some of the highest rated ever. Are rankings starting to skew to the high side or are the players in this current class really that good compared to years past?

It’s certainly one of the best with our record this past season. Also remember, there’s a chance we may not be finished with this class just yet..😎

As far as Tennessee’s best class of all time, it’s hands down the 1997 class..

Tennessee Football Recruiting: The 10 Greatest Recruiting Classes Since 1980

You're right..I was thinking it was 10 total but like you said its 11 counting CJP. We may just have 6 Offensive Coach's and 4 Defensive plus CJP. I do think Weinke Coaching RB's has hurt our RB recruiting, so I can definitely see either Johnson moving to RB's or like it was mentioned earlier hiring Jay Graham to coach RB's. We should be able to get away with just one Secondary coach with it being CJP's specially. I trust CJP so I'm sure he will get every coach where they would benefit the Players the most. I didn't see very good WR play under Johnson and he definitely wasn't landing big time receivers. We have Tee to handle that now. Just hoping CJP has a true RB Coach coaching them. Whether it's Graham or someone on his level or better we should be fine moving forward in coaching and recruiting elite RB's. Damn Ala and Ga get 2-3 elite ones every class and have them lined up ready to play. We should be able to land atleast one of those types every year. One of those 225+ pile movers with some speed have to see the opportunity they would here. With an elite QB like Bailey on board plus the elite Olineman we have coming in should make for an attractive opportunity. We need a TN Coach who has played the position, knows how to teach the position and can relate to what it takes to play RB at a high level.
I’d definitely rather have graham working with running backs. Johnson is a good coach but tee is gonna take over wide receivers. One thing is for sure we have an elite group of recruiters. It should pay off if we can win 7-8 games this year. Which imo is attainable.
Oh and show nieds the 💰💰

Not sure, but I’ve got to think he knows something about the position.
Hell Tee has coached QBs, and to the original question, Fulmer had a Top 3 or 4 class after going 5-7 in 2005. I'm sure Bobby Bowden put together classes like that as well before retiring.

Hell Tee has coached QBs, and to the original question, Fulmer had a Top 3 or 4 class after going 5-7 in 2005. I'm sure Bobby Bowden put together classes like that as well before retiring.

I may be wrong, but according to 247, UT’s 2006 recruiting class was ranked 29th. The worst ranking I can ever remember.

VN Store

Back