Is this Sunseri (sp?) 2.0?

This football team seriously lacks talent or experience. Plus a first year in a new system. Don't expect anything to go well on defense. Heupel will need to score 50-75 points per game to win. Just the way it will be for a while.

I expect JH and staff to put together a winning game plan that the players can execute.

I suppose they will need to play it fast and loose, gamble to make the big play and then let the chips fall. Start off handing 40 on some folks and things could get interesting.

Reactions: Tnslim1
I have no idea. I like our defensive staff overall and think we have good talent in the 2 deep. Hopefully this will at least be an exciting brand of football

I don’t have high expectations for the offense or defense. But that’s more about the roster than the coaching
^^^This^^^
I really thought Sunseri was awful. If Banks has a bad year, he should get a mulligan. He doesn't have much to work with.

As with Pruitt, I always thought Suseri had the Bama smell that couldn't be washed off. His son was playing for Bama. It seems like the Bama folks that have come into authority in Knoxville have done damage to the VOLS. Coincidence or conspiracy theory, you be the judge.

one thing you can say about dools. It was fun to watch the passing game. Someone posted a fantastic piece of writing about the TYLER BRAY passing game that absolutely NAILED it. Wish that was still around.... maybe it is. It was years ago tho.

Not trying to negavol, but admittedly this is failing. The goal is to start a discussion.

I’m pumped for the season, a year without being in the stands has put me in a position where I’d be excited to watch JV high school ball.

My question to Volnation is does this season feel a bit like Dooley’s season with Sal? High flying offensive power and a virtual unknown on defense?

I think figuring out the right balance of offensive speed with defensive capability will be key to CJHs long term success as head vol. Offense will win us a ton of games, but it’ll take a relatively decent defense to take us to the promise land.

Admittedly, I’d be cool with like 8 wins semi consistently for the next 4 or so years, no promise land expectations in the near future.
Hope not

Not trying to negavol, but admittedly this is failing. The goal is to start a discussion.

I’m pumped for the season, a year without being in the stands has put me in a position where I’d be excited to watch JV high school ball.

My question to Volnation is does this season feel a bit like Dooley’s season with Sal? High flying offensive power and a virtual unknown on defense?

I think figuring out the right balance of offensive speed with defensive capability will be key to CJHs long term success as head vol. Offense will win us a ton of games, but it’ll take a relatively decent defense to take us to the promise land.

Admittedly, I’d be cool with like 8 wins semi consistently for the next 4 or so years, no promise land expectations in the near future.
I think this defense will be better. Banks has experience as a DC.

"Cool with 8 Wins" all of us would love that, but we have a team with massive exodus of players, and new coach, and new coordinators, and NCAA punishment looming.
It's great to have hopes and desires for big improvement from the Vols - offense and defense. If Heupel fails to win 8 games, people will be calling for him to be fired.
I hope that doesn't happen.

Honest question because I've only watched highlights of Heupels offense.. Does he ever slow down the tempo?

The point of the offense is to open up options from what i've seen. Butch is probanly a more accurate discript because Butch wanted to do the same thing, but he tried to do it with undersized players like Chip Kelly did. it didn't work. Butch and Dools, and the rest, were not bad people. they just didn't know what they were doing. At least Butch saw this.

Honest question because I've only watched highlights of Heupels offense.. Does he ever slow down the tempo?

Yes. Kinda. Usually, if he’s got a 3rd down situation, he’ll get em quickly to the line, fake call for the snap, then have em check off to get them in the right play. Usually drains the play clock. Only exception is if it’s 3rd and 1 or 2, then they’ll try to tempo their ass outta there. If he gets a big lead, he’ll slow em a bit and try to grind a couple runs…then bomb it for yards and grind til a score or stop.

Reactions: IluvdoubleD's
you know what?.... correction by me. Johnny M did it. The reason he worked is because he was unpredictable.

Yes. Kinda. Usually, if he’s got a 3rd down situation, he’ll get em quickly to the line, fake call for the snap, then have em check off to get them in the right play. Usually drains the play clock. Only exception is if it’s 3rd and 1 or 2, then they’ll try to tempo their ass outta there. If he gets a big lead, he’ll slow em a bit and try to grind a couple runs…then bomb it for yards and grind til a score or stop.
cool.. Thank you for the reply.

Just remember the defense under Butch Jones. Banks was here as his OC 2007-2009.

The kind of depth we have of defense, esp at LBs and edge rushers, you can put anyone incharge and we will look Sunseri 2.0.

Pruitt is arguably best defensive mind in Nation and our defensive talent could not cover a slant to save its life, our DLine full of veterans was near last in SEC in pass rush. Now imagine losing talent from a group that bad. This season on defense is going to be brutal. Also, yeah offense will be good in parts but those expecting fireworks early on are going to be disappointed. It takes time to build a good offense. Heupel will get it right on offense but this season be only 'flashes' of it.

Was Pruitt one of the best defensive minds in the Nation?? He looked good when had a defense of all 5* future NFL players but when he came here and had to devise schemes that this group of players could best execute he couldn't do it. He just put in the same schemes he ran at AL and got pissed off when TN players could run it as well as AL's. No question he has the knowledge but does he have the coaching ability

Dooley no, Mike Leach is my hope. Not saying we won't struggle, but it is my expectation to be exciting, stadium full, compete and if we can do that we will be in good shape.

^^^This^^^
I really thought Sunseri was awful. If Banks has a bad year, he should get a mulligan. He doesn't have much to work with.

As with Pruitt, I always thought Suseri had the Bama smell that couldn't be washed off. His son was playing for Bama. It seems like the Bama folks that have come into authority in Knoxville have done damage to the VOLS. Coincidence or conspiracy theory, you be the judge.

Gotta put Bama Dave in there as well.

The point of the offense is to open up options from what i've seen. Butch is probanly a more accurate discript because Butch wanted to do the same thing, but he tried to do it with undersized players like Chip Kelly did. it didn't work. Butch and Dools, and the rest, were not bad people. they just didn't know what they were doing. At least Butch saw this.
Butch’s offenses rarely lined up but that no-huddle used every second of the play clock and there was no urgency.

No. And no.
Sunseri wasn't an unknown. He was a respected linebacker coach and that's exactly what we got as a Defensive Coordinator, but nothing more. Banks is most definitely not an unknown Defensive Coordinator. He might not have a familiar name in the SEC, but he's been a successful DC and co-DC for a number of years, most notably for the last five at Penn State.
Hate to bring up the negative but Shoop was supposed to be awesome here and it just never worked. Hopefully Banks works out for us though.

VN Store

Back