Is this really a concern...

HoopCreekVol

With so many players running scared and going the portal route, should it be a big concern? Aren't there players who would love to come to TN and play big-time football?

While we had some good players, no one is at the point of being irreplaceable.

With so many players running scared and going the portal route, should it be a big concern? Aren't there players who would love to come to TN and play big-time football?

It all comes down to who we hire. Make the right hire and some in the portal might come back and some new ones might come. Make the wrong hire and ........

Gray and To'o To'o are gigantic losses, regardless of their reason for leaving. But we're going to suck something awful next year with or without them. The only concern I have is who we hire as the next head coach. Like it or not, this is yet another long term fix.

Reactions: fxvol and Vol524

no concern here. If they don’t want to play here they can go somewhere else to get their happy meal toys. If we hire a good coach the 1 year transfer rule can help us too

Reactions: Ratvol and Hbg
Gray and To'o To'o are gigantic losses, regardless of their reason for leaving. But we're going to suck something awful next year with or without them. The only concern I have is who we hire as the next head coach. Like it or not, this is yet another long term fix.

The cupboard is not empty; we have some talented kids. The right coach and 8-9 wins is not impossible next year.

It will be a problem for Tennessee if there are things that Tennessee cannot due per the penalties assessed by the NCAA, i.e. bowl games, preseason TV games, various scholarship or recruiting limitations, all things being equal, a player will go where he can get the most exposure, eventually with a solid coach that can actually coach and improve the talent, going forward, Tennessee will become a more desirable place to play. Thete are only so many slots in the SEC for kids to play, to a degree the conference recruits itself as the most competitive college football conference in the country.

Its a concern only if we don't get more players from the portal. We hire a homerun coach and I can see Gilbert coming here for instance. There are several good OL in the portal and LBs. I would be ok with us getting a few more players from the portal to replace the ones leaving. I hate to lose Henry T and Crouch, but ok as there are others in the portal who can take up the their slots.

Reactions: volroadwarrior
The most important position for next year is at QB.

They need to Moneyball the sh** out of this team for now.

Instead of worrying about who they are losing, worry about how to replace the stats in the aggregate.

To'oTo'o ....68 total tackles, 7 TFL, 2 PDs, 1 sack

Gray....772 rushing yards, 254 receiving yards, 6 total TDs.

RB will be tricky with Chandler leaving too. Maybe get a transfer in addition to the freshmen coming in.

I am not sweating Henry as much though. He was a liability in pass defense. The whole defense needs stepping up from that mess that Pruitt was running would go a long way to minimizing his loss.

Not concerning, in fact expected. Obviously, Pruitt sold himself and not the school to these kids. I would guess that these recent players are the ones that were getting paid, the others were seniors or not very good anyway. These next couple of years will be tough in recruiting, but the right coach will straighten it out.

Instead of worrying about who they are losing, worry about how to replace the stats in the aggregate.

RB will be tricky with Chandler leaving too. Maybe get a transfer in addition to the freshmen coming in.

I am not sweating Henry as much though. He was a liability in pass defense. The whole defense needs stepping up from that mess that Pruitt was running would go a long way to minimizing his loss.

Great strategy! Agree on To'o To'o. Crouch was a total bust in my opinion, couldn't cover, no lateral movement, and always blitzed late - slow to react.

While losing gray hurts, I think we will be fine there next year. Tiyon evans looks legit, jabari small and Cody brown as well. We don’t have much home run ability at RB though.

They need to Moneyball the sh** out of this team fo

We did get that RB JC transfer(Evans). I think he is going to kick ass here.

Yes. It is a major concern.

I am not sure that an immediate hire is required though it could help. But the new AD needs to step up and explain his plan so that recruits understand what they're signing up for.

Reactions: LittleVol
Yes. It is a major concern.

I am not sure that an immediate hire is required though it could help. But the new AD needs to step up and explain his plan so that recruits understand what they're signing up for.
We are going to get a new HC hire soon and he will have full control over coaching hires.

Can they do both?

If White makes a home run hire, and I believe he will, TN could become a magnet for quality transfers and recruits. Talent remains with many of the underclassmen. I don't believe we are a dumpster fire that we are led to believe we are. Sanctions could put a damper on things, but I don't think we are in as bad a condition as we may think we are in if the coaching hire is positive.

VN Store

Back