Is there hope? Urban Meyer???

no from a gator is interesting???

I believe there are two jobs Meyer would take, maybe 3. USC and Notre Dame are the two. ND is doing well enough that that won’t be open anytime soon barring a major surprise.

The other possibility to me is Texas.

I just didn’t think he’s interested in a “top 10” job. I think he’s interested in what he considers a top 5 job.

And yes, I think he would succeed at Tennessee and turn that program around. He’s that good. I don’t think he’d have UF or Ohio State type success, but I could see him winning 10 games a year there. I’m 100% certain he wouldn’t field a team that couldn’t complete a forward pass and I know for certain he’s your prototypical modern day CEO-type head coach. There would be no “I thought we done some good things” or “we don’t got no reason to be discouraged” hillbilly Bob press conferences.

Yea that is the sad reality of all this pie in the sky stuff. Every single coach on the planet could be bought. Hell Tennessee could have Saban next year. But there is noooo money. Looks like Tennessee will fall further into a hole. Recruiting will be terrible next year with Pruitt. Any player worth a crap will transfer. Buckle up....

If we don't go after Meyer or Freeze it won't be because of the money.

This is the only "for sure" way to get us back to where we want to be. He is one of the two best coaches of this era and being second to Saban aint too shabby.
Sadly I think you're right. We are going to have to get in bed with a whore if we are really that serious about winning again. Otherwise we are going to become Minnesota.

Look, this is a Jerry Jones type situation. Our top folks want to win, but they want the credit for it and won't pay up and stand back and let the big hire di his job. Why have the Patriots won so much? Why has bama? Because they hire the best and then step back and let them do what they do.

Yea that is the sad reality of all this pie in the sky stuff. Every single coach on the planet could be bought. Hell Tennessee could have Saban next year. But there is noooo money. Looks like Tennessee will fall further into a hole. Recruiting will be terrible next year with Pruitt. Any player worth a crap will transfer. Buckle up....

Not entirely correct. Haslam could cut the check tomorrow. Unfortunately everyone told him to piss off on his hire a couple years back.

Thats not why Fulmer would say no to him

Fulmer will NOT let someone come in hes threatened by and potentially show there a better coach
I’m gonna disagree here. I’m sure Fulmer has an ego, but I think he wants the university to win, and certainly he rightfully feels like that’s his job to get us there. When he hired CJP, he was very complimentary of Alabama, saying he was committed to getting us to that level, and was committed to letting CJP finish out the season coaching at Alabama. Fulmer is an old school Bama hater, but he chose to handle those things from a pragmatic point of view.

Now I will agree with some other posters who said he wouldn’t hire Meyer, but I think that’s just personal. Seems like Meyer made some digs at the time Fulmer was fired, and I’m sure those are deep cuts. But saying he won’t hire anyone he thinks will have more success than he had is just not true, in my opinion.

This is complete crap. If Fulmer hires a coach in a different era of CFB that succeeds it’s a direct indictment of his ability to go get a coach. The HC success is his as well.

If anything it makes Fulmer look better. I understand some Fulmer hate but people are ridiculous with it. They think he's purposefully trying to sabotage UT.

Reactions: VolFan4Life87
and please tell me why Fulmer is still even in any discussion! He is absolutely the very first to go!
Why the hell is he still here?
Small minds and short memories are the only reasons I can come up with.
His office is right next to the head coaches?
If we were on top he would be soaking up the glory!
It's time for us to try to get by without his leadership!

I do worry that Phil's ego would prevent him from hiring a proven coach who is clearly superior to Phil. To be clear I liked the Pruitt hire and still think it could work provided we find a QB.

I think Urban would come here for the right money. Urban himself is a brand and if you combined it with what UT can offer, then the results will certainly be good. It's simply a question of whether UT is willing to spend that money and if the timing would be right.

Certainly a coach like Meyer can take any job he wants. Looking at the possibilities of potential high profile job openings:
1. USC- This is probably the most appealing to Urban. There is little competition in the PAC and his recruiting would be off the charts. The only question I have, is USC willing to pay the price Urban would require?
2. Texas- There is some beef with Herman and I'm sure there'd be satisfaction in showing him how to really do it. There's a lot of politics with the boosters at that gig, but I believe there also is that issue at Florida to a lesser degree.
3. Michigan- I think Michigan is way too snooty and elitist to hire Urban Meyer post-Ohio State.

The other possibilities I see are Tennessee and Auburn. I don't think either is necessarily the school he's dreaming of at this moment but if they offered the money and there was no other desirable opening then I think he'd take it. You can win prodigiously at either place. A championship at either would cement him as the best coach of this era IMO.

VN Store

Back