Is there ever a point ...

where one or a few of the big boosters finally step up and we hire a big name coach? I want Pruitt to work as much as anyone, but I think it is pretty clear that he is in way over his head at this point and I'm not even sure it's arguable. Is 2-10 or 3-9 enough because that's where we're heading?
I'm starting to think this will never happen.

Bama did it, but they had an Athletic Administration committed to winning and tired of losing. They went all out and got the guy they wanted: Nick Saban, a national championship winning coach from LSU.

On the other hand, our AD doesn't care enough about winning at a high level to go out and get a big name coach. They can sit back, collect their checks from ticket/food/beer sales, and relax knowing that our fans will continue to show up in droves to witness an inferior product.

Two completely different mentalities.

Reactions: bnhunt
Oh I personally was still in after the implosion at end of last year but the GA State was a bridge too far.. this guy will NOT get it done at an ELITE level ever.. this is a pathetic product in year 2.. Period

Did you not see Georgia do basically the same thing to a Notre Dame team in the 2nd half? But if you want to be miserable then you do you

Did you not see Georgia do basically the same thing to a Notre Dame team in the 2nd half? But if you want to be miserable then you do you
We didn't watch the same two games buddy if you are comparing the curbstomping we took in the 2nd half to the ND game.. And I am not miserable just facing reality.. I will watch regardless because I love this program but the gump is not the guy..

Urban is NOT coming here. If he gets back into coaching it will be with a ready made roster. He virtually passed out during tight games didn’t his last season at Ohio State. His health could not withstand the stress caused by the brutal SEC schedule.

Stoops has already said he would consider the NFL before college - if he even returns to coaching after XFL. He recently stated the grind of college football was getting to him and too much time away from family.

So besides those two - who do you want? Who do you want to pay $9 million?

I would just take a proven HC at this point.

We didn't watch the same two games buddy if you are comparing the curbstomping we took in the 2nd half to the ND game.. And I am not miserable just facing reality.. I will watch regardless because I love this program but the gump is not the guy..

For giggles who do you go get?

The last " big name" coach UT hired was in 1977.
He's from Tennessee and played here. If not, there's no reason to believe he comes here.

UGA is one of the best teams in the country. They hired a guy that had never been a HC.

LSU is one of the best teams in the country. They fired a guy that won a NC and a lot of games to miss on the guy they just beat at Texas. They did that with a guy that has a less than stellar record as a HC.

Clemson hired Dabo who had never been a HC and was on the verge of firing him before he took off.

I dont know that I would qualify Mullen as a big name coach when UF hired him. He was a good coach that may be a big name before long.

A&Ms big name coach is behind all of those teams and Bama right now. Other than Saban hes the only one with a legit track record at another school.

I'm not sure what all that really means for UT other than they have hired one in over 40 years and that one had a built in advantage.

Stoops or Meyer. There is a number that one of those two guys would take to coach here.

And you think either of those guys would accept a job knowing they only have 24 months to complete a total rebuild? You need a dose of hard reality

For giggles who do you go get?
That's a relevant question and at this point I dont think you have a lot of options.. I think the Dooley hire was the failure.. At this point you will probably have to either go the NFL route with a staff full of Pro level guys i.e. Arizona State or get lucky with an up and comer.. Maybe all Tennessee blood is the answer

OK here is $30 Million, who you Hiring that is a Guaranteed Home Run????

You gettin Saban Nope, Dabo Nope, Jimbo Nope....so WHO???

Oh yeah here is the $18 Million you need for buyouts!?!?

Throw the house at urban Meyer, bob stoops, Chris Peterson, Gary Patterson, and then Matt Campbell. Go though that process and we’d get a coach. A real coach. But you’d have to do more than just offer the money. You need an athletic director that is a charismatic/passionate leader that could sell one of those guys on his vision and why it would mean for them and their legacy to be that one to get a school like Tennessee back on top. And we didn’t have that charismatic leader. Fulmer will be loyal to pruitt until the bitter end and then go get another value hire. He just doesn’t have the kahunas and vision to make some like this happen.

That's a relevant question and at this point I dont think you have a lot of options.. I think the Dooley hire was the failure.. At this point you will probably have to either go the NFL route with a staff full of Pro level guys i.e. Arizona State or get lucky with an up and comer.. Maybe all Tennessee blood is the answer

I think if Pruitt is able to keep recruiting at a decent level then you ride it out with him. It's obvious there is some freshman and sophomore talent on our team. And so unfortunate the upperclassmen had no guidance in how to become high level college football players. As bad as we were when Fulmer left there were still way more sec level players on the team. And now with 25 players being a hard number for each recruiting class these complete rebuilds are going to take longer than in the past.

Go vols

I think if Pruitt is able to keep recruiting at a decent level then you ride it out with him. It's obvious there is some freshman and sophomore talent on our team. And so unfortunate the upperclassmen had no guidance in how to become high level college football players. As bad as we were when Fulmer left there were still way more sec level players on the team. And now with 25 players being a hard number for each recruiting class these complete rebuilds are going to take longer than in the past.

Go vols
You make a great point about the new rules of hard number of 25 changing the dynamics of a rebuild but this staff put a product together in year 2 that got handled by GA State.. a duck is a duck man and they will never consistently compete for Championships and that should always be the standard at UT regardless of the past decade

You make a great point about the new rules of hard number of 25 changing the dynamics of a rebuild but this staff put a product together in year 2 that got handled by GA State.. a duck is a duck man and they will never consistently compete for Championships and that should always be the standard at UT regardless of the past decade

Agree. But not interested in changing coaches again. Not year two. There are enough positives to give Pruitt at least through next season

Well what is your suggestion then. What’s the magic fix?? I’d love to know

Agree. But not interested in changing coaches again. Not year two. There are enough positives to give Pruitt at least through next season
Stability is the answer for this program but it has to be stability with the right guy

And you think either of those guys would accept a job knowing they only have 24 months to complete a total rebuild? You need a dose of hard reality

If you offered $9 million a year I bet one would. Plus, the rebuild is a lot shorter with a real HC. See Bama post-Saban hiring.

What did you expect tonight? Oh, and the answer to your question is no. Pruitt is here through the end of next year minimum.
This is fact.
It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks about Pruitt. He’s getting next year to prove it.
And honestly the bar (as far as the university is concerned) isn’t that high next year.

This is fact.
It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks about Pruitt. He’s getting next year to prove it.
And honestly the bar (as far as the university is concerned) isn’t that high next year.
I just can't imagine keeping him if we got 2-10 and winless in SEC. There has to be some type of minimum bar and that has to fall below it. Geez.

No “big name” wants the job. At least they didn’t under previous ADs. Fulmer was left with scraps after the Currie cluster F. Remains to be seen who he could get without that baggage looming.

VN Store

Back