Is the NCAA field stronger this season?

BruinVol

Looking back at last years top 8 seeds I see 45 total losses.

Virginia-2
Cincy- 4
Xavier-5
Unc-10
Nova-4
Purdue-6
Kansas-7
Duke-7

Right now what appears to be the top 8 seeds for the 2019 tourney only have 31 losses

Gonzaga-2
Virginia-2
Tenn-3
Duke-4
Kentucky-5
Unc-5
Mich-4
Mich state-6

Does that mean this tourney is destined for less upsets and more chalk with the top seeds??

Can you imagine a 10loss team being considered for a 2 seed like unc last year?

Of course there will be a few more losses for this years group but it appears to be a much better top heavy group of elite teams this year to me

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol
Just remember that there is going to be 5-9 more losses before the tourney starts.

Stats a little off but point still made.

Just remember that there is going to be 5-9 more losses before the tourney starts.

Stats a little off but point still made.

No doubt more losses coming but it isn't going to get to 45.

How on earth did unc get a 2 seed last year with 10 losses?

Crazy

Let’s say Gonzaga wins out:
UVA - Loss to Louisville & ACC Tournament = 2
Tennessee - Auburn and SEC Tournament = 2
Duke - UNC and ACC Tournament = 2
Kentucky- FL and SEC Tournament = 2
UNC - can’t count Duke twice - ACC Tournament = 1
Michigan - MSU and Big Ten Tournament = 2
MSU - can’t count Michigan twice - Big Ten Tournament = 1
That equals 12 very possible losses and 6 actual losses. (Duke vs UNC) (MSU vs Michigan) (2 because only 1 ACC Tournament winner) (1 because only 1 SEC Tournament winner) (1 because only 1 Big Ten Tournament winner).

You look at the other games and I see 2 of the 6 being losses so then you have 8 which equals 39. Now did you subtract the losses from the NCAA tournament? If not then you have to add 7-8 more losses for this year.

No doubt more losses coming but it isn't going to get to 45.

Crazy

ESPN bias. Just have to live with it and overcome.

Personally I think their bias comes from the kids recruiting rankings and coaches past resume. They assume the rest and lobby from there.

Could be wrong but it has seemed liked CBB is more top heavy this year, 8-10 really good teams but then seemingly a really weak bubble this year. Of course that probably means exact opposite of what we think shevtgere will be tons of opposites in the tourney.

Reactions: Vol49er
Could be wrong but it has seemed liked CBB is more top heavy this year, 8-10 really good teams but then seemingly a really weak bubble this year. Of course that probably means exact opposite of what we think shevtgere will be tons of opposites in the tourney.
definitely agree the top 10ish teams are stronger that last few years. I also think there's no clearly dominant team, but, then again, Villanova won 2 of last 3, and they really weren't considered a clear favorite going into the tourney. If our D plays like last two games, we've got a real shot to be seriously in the mix. And, I think our experience of being upset by Loyola last year will serve us well, not to take any opponent lightly.

Reactions: savannahfan
From my college basketball hardcore betting friends - this should be a pretty week field. A lot of garbage major conference teams are going to get in over some probable better mid majors. Basically there's like 6-8 teams that can win it all and a heap of garbage, seems to be the common opinion from multiple folks I've talked with

From my college basketball hardcore betting friends - this should be a pretty week field. A lot of garbage major conference teams are going to get in over some probable better mid majors. Basically there's like 6-8 teams that can win it all and a heap of garbage, seems to be the common opinion from multiple folks I've talked with

Agreed. That was the angle in my op

You can look in the SEC and see it. Teams like auburn and Miss state, top 25 Net teams, have zero wins over the top 3 at the moment. That's a wierd year

Reactions: CTVolsfan14
I see parity across the nation...no team I can point to and say they "will" win it (even Duke) and wouldn't doubt a 16 or a couple 15's upsetting somebody in 1st round...no matter it's going to be a heck of a tourney...can't wait...and,

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see parity across the nation...no team I can point to and say they "will" win it (even Duke) and wouldn't doubt a 16 or a couple 15's upsetting somebody in 1st round...no matter it's going to be a heck of a tourney...can't wait...and,

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If Zion doesn’t make it back, Duke won’t leave the first weekend. Should’ve lost to Wake Forest yesterday. But I think Coach K said he expects him back for the ACC tournament

Same way they are ranked above us now with their five losses to our three.....
FAKE NEWS

Top heavy leagues. Just look at our league. Three really goods teams and a bunch of NIT level or worse level teams. I have not been overly impressed with the SEC this year. I believe our poor showing against Kentucky in Lexington was aided by our lack of competition leading up to it.

There is definitely a talent disparity in the SEC, which we all pay attention to and also in the ACC, which thanks to espn we all have to hear about. Three clearly good teams in each...the rest not bad, but easily upsetable by a decent mid major or a good lower conference champion.

That’s a bit unusual, but I think in the opposite way....there is usually only one clear favorite from those two conferences. It’s Kentucky then Duke or UNC. Virginia and Tennessee have had some recent success, Florida had a short run but historically the SEC and ACC have had a clear leader by mid feb latest.

This year I have a hard time imagining anything other than the projected 1/2 seeds marching easily to 16, and most of them in the 8. They are just clearly better teams. I expect a relatively boring first weekend with 5-13 thurs/fri games being the only interesting basketball.

But, a lot of basketball before then, and injuries and fatigue can change everything, as we all too clearly learned last year.

Looking back at last years top 8 seeds I see 45 total losses.

Virginia-2
Cincy- 4
Xavier-5
Unc-10
Nova-4
Purdue-6
Kansas-7
Duke-7

Right now what appears to be the top 8 seeds for the 2019 tourney only have 31 losses

Gonzaga-2
Virginia-2
Tenn-3
Duke-4
Kentucky-5
Unc-5
Mich-4
Mich state-6

Does that mean this tourney is destined for less upsets and more chalk with the top seeds??

Can you imagine a 10loss team being considered for a 2 seed like unc last year?

Of course there will be a few more losses for this years group but it appears to be a much better top heavy group of elite teams this year to me

Bump.

All 1s, 2s and 3s survive and advance.

That's a wild stat but not surprised really after making this OP weeks ago

Bump.

All 1s, 2s and 3s survive and advance.

That's a wild stat but not surprised really after making this OP weeks ago
Me either. I made a statement a while back that there isn't a clearly dominant team out there, but there are about 8 really good teams, any 1 of which could win it all. That playing out in the opening weekend is my biggest takeaway, so far. Duke almost spoiled it, but if you went chalk on your brackets, you did pretty well.

Heck, thru two rounds, my 10 year old twins only have 12 and 13 losses respectively, and one has nailed 14 of the Sweet 16 with all of her E8 still alive. Not bad out of 38 total games.

Me either. I made a statement a while back that there isn't a clearly dominant team out there, but there are about 8 really good teams, any 1 of which could win it all. That playing out in the opening weekend is my biggest takeaway, so far. Duke almost spoiled it, but if you went chalk on your brackets, you did pretty well.

Heck, thru two rounds, my 10 year old twins only have 12 and 13 losses respectively, and one has nailed 14 of the Sweet 16 with all of her E8 still alive. Not bad out of 38 total games.

Yep lots of chalk. I am Shocked all the 3s made it

Yep lots of chalk. I am Shocked all the 3s made it
Only one team (Oregon - a 12 seed) made the Sweet 16 seeded lower than 5. Such very few upsets should make for an exciting second week with some good match ups. The committee did a good job this year.

After seeing what the 3 seeds did in this tourney it seems fair to me to say this tourney has the strongest group of top 3 seeds in tourney history. Those 12 teams showed a they all were worthy of being called elite teams

VN Store

Back