is secondary still questionable this year?

vols1

i say to a degree whos the other safety ?and does this mean either fellows or hefney wont start

Allen and Fellows at corner

And I would say Heffney and Campbell would be at safety. Look for Antwan Stewart to get some time at safety also. And then there's Morley who could very well see the field early this season.

Originally posted by vols1@Jun 6, 2005 3:11 AM
i say to a degree whos the other safety ?and does this mean either fellows or hefney wont start
[snapback]101242[/snapback]​

There's no way our secondary can't be questionable, coming off the way they played last year.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jun 6, 2005 9:27 AM
There's no way our secondary can't be questionable, coming off the way they played last year.
[snapback]101266[/snapback]​

Very true...I mean there's no telling what our record would have been if Jason Allen hadn't made half the teams tackles.

Id have to believe the secondary will be much improved, and solid at that.

Alot of Allens tackles came out of the backfield. Missed tackles upfront didnt help and worked Allen and Burnett to death.

Im not sold on Allen back to CB just yet? I know thats the plan with Fellows. Hefney and Stewart at safety. But wouldnt be shocked, if things didnt work out well, Allen back at safety and Hefney to the other CB.

Originally posted by IBleedOrange24/7@Jun 6, 2005 3:41 PM
Id have to believe the secondary will be much improved, and solid at that.

Alot of Allens tackles came out of the backfield. Missed tackles upfront didnt help and worked Allen and Burnett to death.

Im not sold on Allen back to CB just yet? I know thats the plan with Fellows.  Hefney and Stewart at safety. But wouldnt be shocked, if things didnt work out well, Allen back at safety and Hefney to the other CB.
[snapback]101406[/snapback]​

Same here. I think you will see Allen back at safety unless Morely comes out bustin heads.

I have a feeling they will suprise folks this yr with how good they are gonna be, hard to explain just a gut feeling.

Originally posted by volmanjr@Jun 6, 2005 3:55 PM
I have a feeling they will suprise folks this yr with how good they are gonna be, hard to explain just a gut feeling.
[snapback]101411[/snapback]​

We share the same thought there!
With the experience Hefney gained last yr, Allen as good as they come, Fellows is better than what he was able to show (my fav) and Stewart,Campbell. Wade seemed to struggle a bit moving from WR to DB and tended to get picked at alot, but i think he'll come along and be dependable. Its said alot but true with our D-line and LB's stepping in QB's face's, this will make the secondary shine that much more.

i thought there was an understood agreement that allen would come back for his sr year only if hes allowed to move back to cb since that is his better position.

i think they will be fine. just fine. alot of the yards we gave up last year were blown coverages b/c of inexperience. well guess what. we have the experience now.

if those guys stick to the plan and stay on their coverages, their athleticism will lead us to glory.

Originally posted by hvwarrior58@Jun 6, 2005 4:30 PM
i thought there was an understood agreement that allen would come back for his sr year only if hes allowed to move back to cb since that is his better position.
[snapback]101419[/snapback]​

That's what I read as well. Fulmer got him to come back on the idea of him playing corner. Corners make more money on average in the NFL and Allen wanted to show the scouts that he could play that position extremely well.

All I'm saying is that the secondary should have a big chip on their shoulder after the way they played last year. Our guys up front did their work and pressured the QB's, but any team with decent passing ability just owned all over us.

We do, however, have a lot more talent and I'd imagine the coaches are doing something to stop all our guys from shoulder and jersey tackling.

Id heard something about that. (CPF allowing Allen back to CB)
If that is the case then he's kept his word, but in the event of an emergency or either of the guy's dont transition well to Safety, Then Allen will take it as a leader and fill the spot?

It'll be part of Allens job during the summer to help the Safetys out the best he can, thus staying put at CB.

No doubt they are questionable at this point but I think this group is going to surprise a lot of people this year with all of the experience they gained last year. The secondary was so young and a lot of them just got thrown into the fire so to speak, and I think it will pay dividends this year. I am just really excited about this defense and I think it will be one of the best we have seen in a long, long time!

IMO, the secondary is one of only two positions I am worried about....if it becomes a strength then my god we could dominate

I think the secondary will look as good or as bad as the D-line makes them look.

I couldn't agree more U-T. With the D front we'll be stacked with this year, the db's are going to be challenged early and often. Has anyone got any word on Antwan Stewart?

Who's got the best WR squad in the SEC excluding UT? LSU? We'll see how our boys do against them..

VN Store

Back