Is Scott Frost qualified?

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
Notwithstanding his brief career as a head coach, Frost has a very, very impressive coaching pedigree. He played under Bill Walsh at Stanford and Tom Osborne at Nebraska. In the NFL, he was drafted by the Jets, where he played for Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick. He then went on to play for the Packers, where he played under Mike Sherman and, finally, Tampa, where he played under Jon Gruden and defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. He has been both an offensive and defensive coordinator in the college ranks, where he ultimately coached under Chip Kelly.

According to Joel Klatt (Fox College Football analyst. See Twitter), “This guy has it all. He’s seen every different offensive system you could run, he’s seen all the great defensive minds out there, and that’s why he knows what’s quality football. . . . I think the guy is an absolute star. If Nebraska doesn’t pay him $5 million this year, somebody else will — maybe Tennessee. . . . Scott Frost will be either the Nebraska or Tennessee head coach next year, because he’s the best coaching candidate available on the market

ER Vol had this to say about Frost in another thread: "A journalist I know who writes for SI stated that Frost has been very meticulous in his coaching decisions so far. Also that he doesn't look at Nebraska as a very viable option as some just assume he would. He said that Frost would take the UT job over Nebraska and that it's not always best to "go home." He gave the examples of Pat Dye and Vince Dooley among others. He also said that among the young up and comers, that Frost and Campbell were far and away the best choices."

If you can't convince a well-entrenched head coach to leave his current position, Scott Frost absolutely should be our highest priority target.

JMSqb11

My biggest concern with Mullen would be NCAA issues. MSU was involved with Cam Newton, they were intertwined with the same recruits as Ole Miss (Do I really believe someone would turn down $$$ to go to Ole Miss and go to Starkville, MS for free??)

MSU hasn't threatened Bama enough to get the NCAA's attention (like how Ole Miss did)
It’s widely known MSU told Cam’s Dad to piss off when it came to pay for play.....

NCFisher

In the time, Mullen has been at MSU...

Bama is one of the greatest runs ever by any program
LSU has played for national title and been the best it has been in several decades
Ole Miss had its best run of success in 40 years
Ditto for Arky
Auburn won a national title and played for another

MSU is the 2nd program in a state that barely has enough talent for 1 SEC school, much less 2. It's a school that prior to Mullen lost at a greater percentage than any other SEC program and won only 30% of their SEC games. We thought Dooley was bad, look at the craphole Mullen inherited from Croom.

I have some questions on the ceiling Mullen would have here but he's done an incredible job at MSU.
Over the past five years, only KY, MO, and Vandy have lower nationally ranked recruiting classes than MSU in the SEC. Three of their Western division rivals had top 10 classes during that period. SEC recruiting rankings over past 5 years - Gridiron Now

As you infer, it's sensible to wonder what Mullen could do with better talent at UT.

Last edited:

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
It’s widely known MSU told Cam’s Dad to piss off when it came to pay for play.....
I've heard quite the opposite. The administration's line may have been that but booster's actions were completely different (same with Leo Lewis). Again, Leo Lewis isn't going to go to Starkville for free after turning down $$$ from multiple (more than 1 SEC school).

Wezcoast

Notwithstanding his brief career as a head coach, Frost has a very, very impressive coaching pedigree. He played under Bill Walsh at Stanford and Tom Osborne at Nebraska. In the NFL, he was drafted by the Jets, where he played for Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick. He then went on to play for the Packers, where he played under Mike Sherman and, finally, Tampa, where he played under Jon Gruden and defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. He has been both an offensive and defensive coordinator in the college ranks, where he ultimately coached under Chip Kelly.

According to Joel Klatt (Fox College Football analyst. See Twitter), “This guy has it all. He’s seen every different offensive system you could run, he’s seen all the great defensive minds out there, and that’s why he knows what’s quality football. . . . I think the guy is an absolute star. If Nebraska doesn’t pay him $5 million this year, somebody else will — maybe Tennessee. . . . Scott Frost will be either the Nebraska or Tennessee head coach next year, because he’s the best coaching candidate available on the market

ER Vol had this to say about Frost in another thread: "A journalist I know who writes for SI stated that Frost has been very meticulous in his coaching decisions so far. Also that he doesn't look at Nebraska as a very viable option as some just assume he would. He said that Frost would take the UT job over Nebraska and that it's not always best to "go home." He gave the examples of Pat Dye and Vince Dooley among others. He also said that among the young up and comers, that Frost and Campbell were far and away the best choices."

If you can't convince a well-entrenched head coach to leave his current position, Scott Frost absolutely should be our highest priority target.
I'm on board with that.

You're not at all. It's just we've got a very vocal minority that favors Mullen. People want more of the same, apparently. Ive seen enough out of Mullen to know he's a competent coach - will get the job done, much like Les Miles got the job done - but he won't get you to the next level. Scott Frost on the other hand is a hot commodity in the coaching world for a reason. He's got experience under big names and he's already shown tremendous promise in his second year (especially once you consider he took a 0-12 UCF team to 6-7 and now undefeated this year). Lots to be excited about with him, whereas Mullen you pretty know what you're going to get.
Man, I haven't been vocal in support of Mullen at all, but I totally think he's a homerun. I honestly don't know if, in the long run, he isn't the best possible person for the job. I don't understand why some others can't see that, but maybe I'm the one that's blind.

Cartervol

5 star member
The next big thing according to some. He hasn't done it yet is the worry. I wouldn't take the chance, I don't think UT is in a position to take a guy based on his potential. They got to get this hire right..

I prefer Dan Mullen.

Currently is a head coach in the tough SEC West.

Coached mostly 3*s and hung with Bama all 4 quarters. Give him some 4 star talent and see what he does.

Knows how to coach QBs and develop talent.

Good man that has his sh!t together.

He's already demonstrated what he can do with a talented offense at Florida.

Nuff said.

jakez4ut

Patience... It's what's for dinner

I'm on board with that.
the choice being NE or TN was put out there before Mac was fired at FL.

the waters are muddier now than they were when that report was filed.

i do agree that Frost is pragmatic enough to look at the NE job for what it is, despite the alma mater connection, and likely choose another path.

that FL is now in the mix, i think it will be tough to get him out of the sunshine state, one way or the other.

but i'd take Frost immediately if given the opportunity. but i think FL would be the main competitor there, and i'm not sure we come out on top in that one, even if we pony up more cash.

the choice being NE or TN was put out there before Mac was fired at FL.

the waters are muddier now than they were when that report was filed.

i do agree that Frost is pragmatic enough to look at the NE job for what it is, despite the alma mater connection, and likely choose another path.

that FL is now in the mix, i think it will be tough to get him out of the sunshine state, one way or the other.

but i'd take Frost immediately if given the opportunity. but i think FL would be the main competitor there, and i'm not sure we come out on top in that one, even if we pony up more cash.
Florida may try to get Chip Kelly. They want some serious offense. Will Chip Kelly want Florida?

Sounds convincing.

Panthro

Frost is definitely qualified. I want to see a similar discussion about Norvell. I think that guy is just another Butch Jones.
Someone that can win alright at a lower level when the cupboard is already full.

jakez4ut

Frost is definitely qualified. I want to see a similar discussion about Norvell. I think that guy is just another Butch Jones.
Someone that can win alright at a lower level when the cupboard is already full.
agree. there's nothing with Norvell that says anything to me other than "we had no other options".

cncchris33

I prefer Dan Mullen.

Currently is a head coach in the tough SEC West.

Coached mostly 3*s and hung with Bama all 4 quarters. Give him some 4 star talent and see what he does.

Knows how to coach QBs and develop talent.

Good man that has his sh!t together.

He's already demonstrated what he can do with a talented offense at Florida.

Nuff said.
In terms of the talent differential, one thing I have noticed is that the few 4 and 5* players Mullen has landed have mostly produced. He has managed to get the most out of his available talent which, to me, speaks of his ability to maximize potential. This was Jones's biggest weakness IMO. He had all the talent in the world, and a large portion of them washed out for a variety of reasons.

In a hypothetical world, I would love to see what MSU and Tennessee looked like over the last 5 years if all you did was swap head coaches and left every other variable status quo. My guess is that MSU may not have a single winning season, and Tennessee might be playing for its third consecutive SEC East championship.

jakez4ut

If it isn't Frost or Gruden----disappointed
i can see that, but there are some good coaches outside those two names.

the problem we're going to have is, outside 1-3 names out there, there aren't many past that, that will make the fan base unite and be happy....immediately anyways.

but i think you could still wind up with a really good coach in a Dan Mullen, Charlie Strong, Jeff Brohm, Chad Morris, Brent Venebles etc....

and i say that knowing most will turn their noses up, and i get that. can't say i would be throwing a party either if one of those guys is introduced.

VN Store