Is Pruitt a top 10 coach and recruiter?

Top 10 coaches don't rotate offensive linemen all the way into the 5th game of the season because they and the staff they have chosen can't figure out the best lineup. Top 10 coaches don't lose to the likes of Georgia State in the home opener. Top 10 coaches don't struggle in the first half against every P5 opponent they face, regardless of talent.

It's really that simple.

The jury is still out on whether or not Pruitt is going to successfully transition from a DC to a HC while at UT, but it is apparent that the moment he is not a 'top 10' coach in any fashion outside of conference ranking.
S

Should he be a top 10 coach right now ? Not in my opinion. Is he right now? Not in my opinion. I think 3 years from now we will be saying differently.

S

Should he be a top 10 coach right now ? Not in my opinion. Is he right now? Not in my opinion. I think 3 years from now we will be saying differently.

Maybe. I think next year especially is going to be rough without a significant jump in coaching ability compared to what we've seen so far, but it's possible that 3 years from now he could be in the running for a spot in the top 10.

Reactions: 08Vol
Yeah...the discussion is "top 10" coach or not. I've given you plenty of examples of his coaching that is not indicitave of a "top 10" coach, you can choose to close your eyes and pretent they didn't occur or not, that's up to you. The Kentucky game is another example, it was not an example of "top 10“, or even particularly good coaching by Pruitt.

I'm glad we won, I hope that Pruitt can improve going forward, but I don't believe anyone should crown him a paragon of coaching prowess because of the Kentucky game.
I think you have a bias against Pruitt and It appears you are not happy with the turnaround this season because you seem eager to put a damper on it.

I think you have a bias against Pruitt and It appears you are not happy with the turnaround this season because you seem eager to put a damper on it.

Yeah, I don't see UT winning games that they should win as a "turn around" just because we lost to Georgia State and BYU at the beginning of the season.

I judge Pruitt by the team he fields every Saturday, not on my hopes and dreams for his improvement.

Reactions: VolArmy74 and 08Vol
Yeah, I don't see UT winning games that they should win as a "turn around" just because we lost to Georgia State and BYU at the beginning of the season.

I judge Pruitt by the team he fields every Saturday, not on my hopes and dreams for his improvement.
Nuts!

Kirby? I live in GA and DawgNation was ready to fire Kirby after Season 1. Saban DID step in and told him, “Here’s how you transition from DC to HC.”

DawgNation is about as irrational as the UT fans on here. If Saban was their coach they would be calling for his head after every loss.

You’re looking more foolish each time you post. 0-2 to 5-5 is a turnaround regardless of how you try to spin it. The Kentucky and SC wins were not guaranteed and not considered games “we should win”. Why don’t you start trying to bring “Value added” comments to Volnation.

You’re looking more foolish each time you post. 0-2 to 5-5 is a turnaround regardless of how you try to spin it. The Kentucky and SC wins were not guaranteed and not considered games “we should win”. Why don’t you start trying to bring “Value added” comments to Volnation.

Yeah, the bar going into 2019 was to for Pruitt to "win games that UT should win", those losses to Georgia State and BYU don't make winning games we should win later in the season a "turn around".

Kentucky has a wide receiver playing QB, who attempted 7 passes the entire game and only made 5 of them, there would have been no excuse for losing that game, and winning it is not some indication of coaching prowess.

Yeah, the bar going into 2019 was to for Pruitt to "win games that UT should win", those losses to Georgia State and BYU don't make winning games we should win later in the season a "turn around".

Kentucky has a wide receiver playing QB, who attempted 7 passes the entire game and only made 5 of them, there would have been no excuse for losing that game, and winning it is not some indication of coaching prowess.
You keep bringing up the Kentucky Qb as if it is an important subject. It is not. Read my other posts. “Winning is not an indication of coaching prowess” Are you serious! You have heard the saying “best to keep your mouth shut and have people suspect you are a fool , then to speak out and remove all doubt”.. This is a perfect advice for you.

Last edited:
I assume your talking as a head coach And there is zero proof he is. A head coach
Got to do serious winning to reach top 10 status. I do think Jim Chaney’s leadership
Is ramping things up.

Saw this from David Ubben on Twitter:

"Are you aware that if Jeremy Pruitt beats reeling Mizzou and Vandy, he'll have equaled Butch Jones' best season ever in SEC play? "

Interesting.

Reactions: preacherwebb
You keep bringing up the Kentucky Qb as if it is an important subject. It is not. Read my other posts. “Winning is not an indication of coaching prowess” Are you serious! You have heard the saying “best to keep your mouth shut and have people suspect you are a fool , then to speak out and remove all doubt”.. This is a perfect advice for you.

Because Kentucky with Terry Wilson an actual quarterback = Kentucky Lynn Bowden a WR as QB? There was no excuse to lose to Kentucky with a WR as QB; winning the game was not some monumental feat of coaching on Pruitt's part. Definitely not an indicator of him being a "top 10" coach that you seem hell bent on believing.

Because Kentucky with Terry Wilson an actual quarterback = Kentucky Lynn Bowden a WR as QB? There was no excuse to lose to Kentucky with a WR as QB; winning the game was not some monumental feat of coaching on Pruitt's part. Definitely not an indicator of him being a "top 10" coach that you seem hell bent on believing.
Still with the Qb. All the pundits were stating how effective Lynn Bowden had been this year but you choose to ignore it.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Still with the Qb. All the pundits were stating how effective Lynn Bowden had been this year but you choose to ignore it.

Effective at running the ball. Feel free to cite pundits reagailing his passing abilities. Kentucky is and was utterly one-dimensional with him as QB, a 4-point win over them is not a “top 10“ feat of coaching.

Effective at running the ball. Feel free to cite pundits reagailing his passing abilities. Kentucky is and was utterly one-dimensional with him as QB, a 4-point win over them is not a “top 10“ feat of coaching.
Kentucky was one dimensional and had some success with it over the last few games, if any team stacked the box they would throw a wr bunch formation out there to get it down to 7 blocking 6 in the box and run with the QB and it was effective, now Pruitt and co made a good adjustment and limited them on what they wanted to do. I'm not going to say Pruitt is a top 10 coach he's a 2nd year head coach that is still learning but Kentucky had a bye week before our game and we had come off of an sec filled stretch with UAB sprinkled in. We made the corrections and adjustments to win the game and that's what matters, now on to a much needed bye week.
Go Vols!!!

Just thought I let you know what I heard tonight on either the Sec Network or ESPN. They considered Ed O at LSU the favorite currently for coach of the year. They also mentioned Pruitt and one other coach. It appears there are some pundits out there who think Pruitt might be a top 10 coach. How about that !

Just thought I let you know what I heard tonight on either the Sec Network or ESPN. They considered Ed O at LSU the favorite currently for coach of the year. They also mentioned Pruitt and one other coach. It appears there are some pundits out there who think Pruitt might be a top 10 coach. How about that !

Congrats on finally finding someone who agrees with you.
giphy.gif

Because being a Vol fan is predicated on the belief that Pruitt is currently a "top 10" football coach?
You conveniently ignore the recognition Pruitt is receiving now outside of Volnation and you are also ignored my question if you a true Vol fan. You do not seem to be very happy with the turnaround this team has accomplished. The players and coaching deserve all the credit for what they have done. Right ? Come on , say Yes and you will feel better in all things in general.

Pruitt is a top 10 coach of the game. We will see over time how good of a recruiter he is. The question is whether he's right or the recruiting sites are right.

VN Store

Back