Is Penny another Josh Pastner?

Did y’all see this gem:
“ I frankly don’t give a damn what they think. I wouldn’t trade penny for ten Rick Barnes”

Great insight to they’re fan base on that quote. They prefer flashy, high risk, questionably ethical, promoters of street ball to one of the most respectable developers of men in the game today....

Good luck to them. I think Penny will have some flashes....he will attract local talent... but I’m doubtful an AAU coach will have long term success in the college ranks. Hope they expect a lot of on the job training.

Did y’all see this gem:
“ I frankly don’t give a damn what they think. I wouldn’t trade penny for ten Rick Barnes”

Great insight to they’re fan base on that quote. They prefer flashy, high risk, questionably ethical, promoters of street ball to one of the most respectable developers of men in the game today....

Good luck to them. I think Penny will have some flashes....he will attract local talent... but I’m doubtful an AAU coach will have long term success in the college ranks. Hope they expect a lot of on the job training.

Yeah. That wasn’t a good post. More or less an emotionally charged post. Penny has the upside but he’s not proven. Barnes is. Most college basketball fans outside of Memphis’ fanbase would rather have Barnes coaching their team. He’s a proven commodity. I don’t think ethics will be a problem with Penny, however. I do hope that he is the right guy for their program. I remember the days when Finch flamed out, and it was sad to see him crucified. He loved his school.

Reactions: Vol49er
I was at the UAB game Saturday, Penny is nothing like Pastner, tigers lead got cut to 5 and Penny lit into them, won by 19.

They play for Penny and respect him. I’ve done landscape work for both pastner and Penny, Pastner never cared if we were fans, never thanked us, never wanted to talk about jobs he wanted done, just expected us to go by what he had on paper and got mad when we couldn’t do something particular in the job. Quite unlikable in my experience dealing with him.
Penny on the other hand wanted to grab a wheel barrel full of stone and help, had burgers and drinks brought to us, was always active in decision making while we built his waterfall into his pool, he met us at the nursery to pick out plants and had a shovel in his hand when we showed up, when the outdoor kitchen was finished he fired up the grill and fed us and hung out for a few hours just talking shooting around his half court. Super nice guy and means business.
They both lived in Southwind and were/are Memphis Basketball coaches that’s all they have in common.
There will be growing pains and a lot of OJT. Many of us memphis BBall fans are willing to give him time and trust his abilities.
We’re really excited for the future of the program! Gtg (Go Vols to!)

Yeah. That wasn’t a good post. More or less an emotionally charged post. Penny has the upside but he’s not proven. Barnes is. Most college basketball fans outside of Memphis’ fanbase would rather have Barnes coaching their team. He’s a proven commodity. I don’t think ethics will be a problem with Penny, however. I do hope that he is the right guy for their program. I remember the days when Finch flamed out, and it was sad to see him crucified. He loved his school.

Yep, they killed Finch. He was never the same after being fired.

VN Store

Back