Is Parker playing out of position?

St.Vol Minnesota

It seems that Sparks coach Michael Cooper has Candace playing point guard, or point forward at times. I know Candace has a good handle, but it seems that this move decreases Candace's scoring chances.

I think, if anything, it increases her odds of scoring. The sparks are using her as a mismatch player because they can clear the lanes and then she can just take her defender.

I don't like this move--she'll have the ball too much and I hate teams that basically rely on one star player to score every play. It's boring. I suppose if playing her outside on offense works, you stick with it--I haven't seen the Sparks play--but while Parker is a decent ball handler for her size, I would think that teams could and would double-team her pretty effectively. She doesn't exactly move like MJ or a guard.

I don't like this move--she'll have the ball too much and I hate teams that basically rely on one star player to score every play. It's boring. I suppose if playing her outside on offense works, you stick with it--I haven't seen the Sparks play--but while Parker is a decent ball handler for her size, I would think that teams could and would double-team her pretty effectively. She doesn't exactly move like MJ or a guard.

Reminds me of Lebron...he brings the ball up a lot too, when the Cavs offense is more effective when they are feeding the ball to him. Cooper is not a good coach. He just sat there last nigh like a bump on log, watching his team blow a 15 point lead.

They would do much better to put her at SF and feed the ball to her in the high post with 3 point shooters in the corner and on the opposite wing. Basically, their version of Phil Jackson's triangle O. This will give CP enough room to drive and create contact or pull up with range and limit the other teams ability to double her. With Leslie working the boards, their offense could be very similar to the Lakers.

"It's been a little bit of an adjustment," she said. "I'll play wherever coach wants me. I'm a little tired. Got to get my body right."

The only concern about Parker pertains to her health. She has had reconstructive surgery and a cleanup procedure on her left knee. She continues to wear a protective sleeve over the left shoulder she dislocated during the NCAA Tournament. Surgery remains possible.

"I'm going to watch her minutes," added Cooper, "but she's ready to go. She's the face of the league. It's right there for her."

Sparks rookie Candace Parker carries her game, and a burden

VN Store

Back