Is Melancon this good?

Parys_Prince_of_Troy

Princeps of Beirut
ESPN.com - INSIDER - Bruce Feldman Blog

If you don't have insider, Feldman says that Marvin Austin and Rolando Melancon are the top two DT recruits in the nation, and Melancon was the most underrated recruit this year, adding that he looked "phenomenal" on tape.
I don't have a subscription to Rivals or Scout so I can't see how they ranked him (help, anyone?), but he's rated the #10 DT by ESPN (as opposed to Austin at #1), and in the video of him on ESPN he's pretty good, but doesn't look "phenomenal", as Feldman thinks. On Rivals he's listed at 6'2", 260 lbs, and a 4* prospect--sounds a bit undersized to play DT at UT, but if I'm not mistaken wasn't Mahelona around that weight? Does Feldman generally know what the hell he's talking about when it comes to evaluating recruits?

Mahelona was 300.

I think Melancon will be a good DT for us, but not in Austin's league. He is underrated though. He will be around 280 by fall I'd think.

Mahelona was 300 his first year?? I guess I was a bit off. And I just saw your post of the guy from Volquest who said, "Melancon has some Billy Ratliffe in him(who chief says had the best ability at dt of anybody he has ever coached)." I guess how much Billy Ratliffe is in him is the question. But is Feldman usually good calling these things?

like i said, he will be a monster. hopefully he will get a lot of playing time this year

VN Store

Back